Search for content in message boards

We’re sorry. The page you tried to access is no longer available.

We’re sorry. The page you tried to access is no longer available.

Posted: 22 May 2012 12:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am sorry too, as my tree images have been lost by Ancestry links for several months now. Why are images "No Longer Available" when in fact the images have been passed through two or three index cycles this year? Any ideas when, if ever Ancestry might fix this problem? Does anyone else have hundreds of PUBLIC TREE images lost in the washing machine spin cycle?
Attachments:

Re: We’re sorry. The page you tried to access is no longer available.

Posted: 22 May 2012 8:58PM GMT
Someone might have some insight if you explain what exactly you are trying to look at:

1) an image on someone else's tree found in a search-results list (the image might have been removed, or the tree made private);

2) a person-overview page on one of your trees;

3) a database image linked to a person in your tree (if you are not an ancestry subscriber you can not see the record-extract or the record image);

4) an image you uploaded, attached to someone in your tree;

5) an image you uploaded, then you synched with FTM2012, or downloaded the tree to FTM2012 but did not let the program complete gathering images attached to the tree (which can take a really long time, like many hours).

6) What?

Posted: 22 May 2012 9:34PM GMT
Frosty,

All 3000 plus images are linked to my 5 trees. The tree had to be redone after the December not to remember tossed my original unified Tree Maker 2012 file (all people in one)into the SYNC. The one file was exported into five smaller Tree Maker 2012 trees. The 5 new trees were all uploaded via "Share" button (Tree Maker 2012). All 5 trees were on Ancestry.Com, and set to PUBLIC before the March 6th indexing. So to be numerical in nature.
1. When searching for any individual for "Photos" attached to my tree the thumbnails and descriptions do appear.
2. When clicking on the thumbnail to either view or attach the image file the image does not appear.
3. This has occured for 6 weeks now, in varied forms of broken links to the desired image.
1st was a redirection to a blank screen with bad a link either to an incorrect tree or person number (as per tech support).
2nd was 1st noted yesterday, the image thumbnail still turned up during a general search on Ancestry, but rather than the mis-matched person or tree number URL on top of the blank screen on now sees - "We’re sorry. The page you tried to access is no longer available."

1. My question still remains why are searchers being told my images are no longer available when I have not removed same?

2. If you are able to answer this question you are one step ahead of Ancestry Tech Support as they have been unable to answer my question for over six weeks.

Thank you for your interest.

Posted: 22 May 2012 10:12PM GMT
Did you download the original images to your computer or scan them and then upload those files to your tree? Or, instead, did you just "link" to those images that may have shown up in a search and clicked the option to add a link to the image file that was uploaded to a different tree?

If you've merely linked to the image file that's actually uploaded to a different tree, then you wouldn't have access to that image any longer if the tree to which it was uploaded has been deleted or made private and you're not an invitee to that tree.

If you uploaded the image files to your tree (after downloading from elsewhere or scanning the photos yourself), then the problem is likely related to an incomplete sync of the media files.

Screen shots of the steps you took up to the error would be helpful so people can see what you see and be able to offer better assistance and suggestions.

Posted: 22 May 2012 10:56PM GMT
Edited: 22 May 2012 11:08PM GMT
"The tree had to be redone after the December not to remember tossed my original unified Tree Maker 2012 file (all people in one)into the SYNC."--ebwalkenbak

Can you refine the quotation into one or more complete sentences? Such as "After the December" ~what~? something (what?) happened.

"1. My question still remains why are searchers being told my images are no longer available when I have not removed same?"
---Because the images are no longer at the same web address (URL) as they were at the last time indexing was done. This would occur if you uploaded a new synched tree via FTM2012, even if the tree name was the same.

A whole lot of people have had FTM2012 synch problems. Program crashes, computer crashes, synch failure, synch not completing, and so forth. The only solution offered is usually to make a backup, compact the file, and try uploading again. *Every* time you upload a tree the URL is different (from the ones assigned the last time you uploaded the tree) for every page and image, even if you have made no changes in what you are uploading.

It may be many months between tree-indexings on Ancestry.com's part. To the best of my knowledge there have been no more than three tree-indexings performed in the last 13 months. In April 2011 one Ancestry.com representative made a blog post claiming that trees were going to be re-indexed weekly, as they had been (roughly) up to several months before the post. But this has not happened.

The search engine searches only the index, not current trees. Thus the search results list and link to whatever was retrieved at the last time an index was created.

Posted: 22 May 2012 11:39PM GMT
Edited: 22 May 2012 11:48PM GMT
I don't know if this helps but I have noticed this message for many photographs in the picture search. I think it was sl_kelly who had a suggestion to some other people with the problem, how to retrieve those photos by shortening up the url which has worked for me.

I cannot see how that would would work for photos in your own tree but these issues seem like they could be connected. It sounds like your tree was public. The photos that have been copied by others will probably be easy to retrieve (or even offered as hints) but that doesn't work if no one else has them connected to the same people you have. I shouldn't say easy to retrieve when there are 3,000. And it is annoying to have things you located already once be offered back in a hint, but it is better than losing them entirely.

Posted: 23 May 2012 12:01AM GMT
The OP is talking about the same problem - misindexed trees. What sucks, is that now when you come across a misindexed media file, instead of the blank page where you could edit the URL, the screen the OP posted the screen shot for comes up... and there is no URL to edit... So, instead of fixing the problem, ancestry has made it worse because now we don't even have the work around :-(

Posted: 23 May 2012 12:06AM GMT
sigh

Posted: 23 May 2012 12:33AM GMT
sl_kelly, do you think that the MemberTree program is changing the URL every time folks synch from FTM2012?

This would be madness piled on top of the problem of infrequent tree-indexing.

Posted: 23 May 2012 12:43AM GMT
Edited: 23 May 2012 12:47AM GMT
Great question frostfreedet.

Also, has anyone tried to find some on mundia? It is supposed to be identical but there may be some differences. They have copied my photos there to a generic ancestry tree. These would not be the ancestry provided items, just the ones members have added.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions