Search for content in message boards

McCarthy connections in Co. Clare Ireland

McCarthy connections in Co. Clare Ireland

Judy Holding (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GeorgeMcGeorge McCarthy, Mary Oconnor
George McCarthy Born ? circa 1842 Ballnacarhach Co Clare Ireland. Married 14-2-1863 at Ennis Co Clare parish of Kilfenora to Mary OConnor born circa 1840 Co Clare. They had 10 children all born Co Clare Ireland, 2 died in Ireland
and buried there. George,Mary and the eight children left Ireland in 1880 and Arrived South Australia on 3-10-1880 on the ship the "Corona" They settled at Pekina S.A. and died there. I am trying to find out Re- George's father (and the rest of the family tree Irish Info) he may have been called Michael?? Only know of two of George's sisters,
Mary married Thomas Reynolds in Ireland, she was older than George and Bridget(also older than George) married Patrick McMahon also Ireland. Both these sisters and husbands also came out to South Australia in the 1850's.

McCarthy Research enquiry

Judy Holding. (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Peter McCarthy, Honora Reynolds
Peter McCarthy was a Uncle to George McCarthy who married 14-2-1863 to Mary OConnor. Peter was b.c. 1803 Co Clare Ireland and married Honora Reynolds (a stepsister to Thomas Reynolds who married Mary McCarthy, George's sister.)
Honora b.c.1812 Co Clare. They were married about1831-1832.
Their children all born Ireland were. Martin b.c.1834, Mary b.c.1836, Catherine b.c.1838, Bridget b.c.1844,Patrick b.c. Honora b.c.1848. Peter, Honora McCarthy and their 6 children left Ireland in 1850 and arrived South Australia on the "Ascendant" on 18-1-1851. They settled in Marion, now a suburb of Adelaide South Australia, and then later went to Kapunda South Australia where Peter died in 1875 and Honora in 1892. They are both buried at the St John's Catholic cemetery, Kapunda. S.A.
Any connections to Peter and George McCarthy, I would be thrilled to hear from in Ireland. I have most of the Australian Family Tree Information.

McCarthy

Posted: 23 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2002 8:33AM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy, Downes
I am trying to research my great-grandmother, she was Mary McCarthy. She was born in Co. Clare, I assume near Quilty. She married Martin Downes and died in child birth of her ninth child about 1916. I don't know if there is any connection, I hope so.

mccarthy research

Judy Holding. (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy
Dear G Hyde,
Thank you for your response to my research enquiry.
Unfortunatly I don't think there is any connection. Your McCarthy is a generation or more ahead of mine. My McCarthy left Ireland, County Clare in 1880 for South Australia.
I have been trying to find out George's father's name. It may have been Michael as George's first born was a son and he called him Michael.Also a relation of mine visited Ireland a few years ago and found that George and Michael McCarthy owned land in County Clare Ireland. George's son born about 1865, may have been too young to be that Michael. Unless George had a brother also called Michael. Thank you
for responding though. All the best with your researh.
Regards,Judy Holding.

McCarthy

Mike McCarthy (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
My G-Grandfather and Grandfather were from Clohaninchy, Quilty, Co Clare. There appears to be a definate connection with the Downes family. I am trying to put more details together.
Regards, Mike McCarthy

McCarthy & Australia

Posted: 2 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Dear Judy Holding,

Two brothers of my G-Grandfather went to Australia from Clohaninchy, Quilty, Co. Clare in the late 1800?
My Grandfather was born, in Clohaninchy, ca. 1903? They were his father's brothers. I don't have the names.
Some years ago, I have heard, two relations from Australia visited the West Clare area. There was some connection with 'Sheep-Farming' and the visitors with 'School-Teaching' in Australia.
If this makes any sense, I may be able to find out more.
Regards, Mike McCarthy

McCarthy & Australia

Posted: 7 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Dear Judy Holding,
Further to my earlier message I now have more complete details.
Daniel McCarthy of Clohaninchy, Kilmurry, Co. Clare married Mary Healy of Ballynagun, Cree, Co. Clare. (About 1830)
They had six sons: Dan, John, Padraig, Michael, Sinon and Martin.
- Dan: known as Donal Óg, emigrated to Australia. No details of marriage found.
- John: emigrated to Australia and married. Family: two daughters. This information was confirmed by two women visitors from Australia who visited Clohaninchy some years ago.

McCarthy and Australia.

Judy Holding (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy
Hi Michael,
Thanks for your reply, sorry I have taken awhile to reply,
been ill. Thanks for the Info, no, no connection to my McCarthy. Please note I have a new email address.
My McCarthy's lived at Pekina in the upper north of South Australia after they arrived on 3rd Oct 1880 on the ship the CORONA. Mine were George McCarthy and Mary Nee OConnor, married 1863 in the parish of Kilfenora.
Regards and thanks again,
Judy Holding of South Australia.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic