Search for content in message boards

Edney, Spence, Watkins Township, Dent Co., MO

Edney, Spence, Watkins Township, Dent Co., MO

LaVelda (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2004 1:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Edney, Spence
I still have not been able to place my "Samuel Edney". I have no idea of his age, just that he died sometime between 1847 and 1850 probably in Crawford County, MO when his widow, Amelia (sometimes written as Permelia, Milly, Emily, etc.) Spence, was living in 1850 in Crawford County, Missouri. Their daughter lived to be over 97 and a newspaper interview on her 97th birthday stated that her parents were Samuel and Amelia Edney from North Carolina. For years I have tried to find out anything about both he and his wife. I can find NOTHING. A book on Dent County, Missouri states that Alfred Edney's (a son) father was J. N. EDNEY. I believe this to be an error. Alfred did have a brother named Joseph N. Edney who died in 1867 Dent Co., MO. However, in light of the fact that I can find nothing on Samuel Edney, I am beginning to wonder if the other records that I have found are in error and his name was J. N. EDNEY and not SAMUEL. There was a Joseph Edney who married a Milly Spence, daughter of James Spence. However, from others, they give her birthdate as 1793 and from census records of Dent County, my Amelia/Milly was born closer to 1807. I believe she was probably a second wife as there is a ten year gap between the first two children and the last two children. If so, there also may be other children that I know nothing about.

Just recently I found a census record for a 85 year old widowed black female named AMES EDNEY living in Watkins Township, Dent Co., MO in 1900. She was born in North Carolina. This is the same township in which my Edney's lived, so I believe she must have been one of their former slaves. I was hoping she might be a clue to locating my Edneys. Has anyone found an Ames Edney listed as a slave in any Edney wills or probate records? She would have been born ca 1814 in North Carolina.

Thanks for any help

Re: Edney, Spence, Watkins Township, Dent Co., MO

Posted: 17 Apr 2004 1:13PM GMT
I looked in Shannon co and didn't find any Edney's buried there. The J.N. was in the Civil War, Co., B. 10 th Mo. Inf. You might find something that way.

Ozark Heritage Dent county Missouri Area Cemeteries and Families Vol III 2nd edition p. 587
New Harmony Cemetery at New Harmony baptist Church, west of Salem.
EDNEY, AME 1820-1/1903; She was the black servant of Elizabeth McNeill; She had one son who was taken away during the Civil war, aged, 12yrs.
I looked in some of my books and couldn't find any info on Edney.
Larry

Re: Edney, Spence, Watkins Township, Dent Co., MO

LaVelda (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2004 2:04AM GMT
Surnames: Edney, Spence, Smith
Thanks, Larry. That helps a bit.

The following is all that I know so far about Samuel Edney and is a portion of my family tree:

-----1 EDNEY, SAMUEL E. – Born _____ North Carolina. Died between 1847 and 1850 probably in Crawford County, Missouri. His daughter’s death certificate states that his name was “Samuel E. Edney” and that he was born in North Carolina. A newspaper interview given by her upon her 97th birthday, also states that her parents were “Samuel and Amelia Edney who came from Missouri from North Carolina in the early days and died in Missouri”. However, a book on the history of Dent County, Missouri states that his name was J. N. EDNEY. I believe this was in error. He may have been married twice and may have been older than Amelia Spence. There is about a ten year gap between the first two children and the last two children.

(Possible clue: On the 1900 Watkins Township, Dent Co., MO census, an AMES EDNEY, an 85 year old black female, widowed, is living alone. She was born Nov 1814 in North Carolina. Was she a former slave of the Edney’s? I have been told that she was buried in the New Harmony Cemetery at New Harmony Baptist Church, west of Salem (listed as AME EDNEY, 1820-Jan 1903 and that she was the servant of Elizabeth McNeill (Turquill McNeill family), lived with them until she died, and had one son who was taken away during the Civil War, aged 12 years. Since her surname was Edney, she may have originally been a slave of the Edney family in Dent County. )

-------+1 SPENCE, AMELIA (also written as PERMELIA/MILLY/EMILY) – Born ca 1809 per death record, born ca 1807 (on one census) and 1812 (on another census) in North Carolina. Oddly, her birthplace is also recorded on the 1850 census as Virginia and on the 1870 census as South Carolina. If Amelia was the mother of all of the children, then she must have married Samuel Edney by ca 1835. If she was his second wife and only the last two children were hers, then she may not have married him until ca 1846. She died 16 Jan 1874 in Watkins Township, Dent Co., Missouri. Her name is recorded as “PERMELIA EDNEY”, age 65 years which would set her date of birth as 1809.

Amelia (Spence) Edney received a land patent on 15 April 1857 in Dent Co., Missouri. The legal description of the land was W ½ SE part Section 29 Township 34N, Range 7 W, 5th Principal Meridian in Dent County and was 80 acres (Doc Nr. 22536, Accession/Serial #MO3800_.308, Jackson, MO Land Office). Another land patent (Accession/Serial #M04120_.241 BLM Serial #MO NO S/N Document No. 38926) for 80 acres in Dent Co., Jackson Land Office.

Dent Co., MO Deeds
DB F p 268 AMELIA EDNEY to BRITTON C. SMITH, both of Dent Co., MO, 7 Sept 1867, for $20, NE corner of the S ½ SW ¼ of Sec 29 Twp 34 Range 7 W “thence east round with the hill to the line running south, to enclose all the valley below” except so much of said tract as is at this time deeded to James Callahan.”, 10 acres. Wit: A. L. EDNEY, MRS. M. J. SMITH.

DB F p 628 AMELIA EDNEY to BRITTON C. SMITH, 7 Sept 1867, NE NW and NW NE Sec 32 Twp 34 Range 7, 90 acres.

DB F p 142 AMELIA EDNEY of Dent Co., MO to James Callahan, Sec 29 Twp 34 Range 7, 10 acres, (I did not copy date for some reason)

DB WD S”B”, p 45
AMELIA EDNEY to JAS E. CALLAHAN, 5 Dec 1859, recorded 31 Oct 1872, NE NW Section 32 Twp 34 Range 7, 40 acres, $13.00.

1850 Crawford County, Missouri, District 24
M. Edney, 38, female, born Virginia (born ca 1812)
J. Edney, 14, male, born Virginia
James Edney, 12, male, born Virginia
A Edney, 3, male, born Missouri (this was bottom of pg. Was Mary listed on next pg?)

1860 Watkins Township 2nd , Dent Co., Missouri, House #210
Emily Edny, 49, female, $200, $250, born N Carolina (born ca 1811)
James 21, male, day laborer, born N Carolina
Alford 13, male, born Missouri
Mary 8, female, born Missouri
(neighbors the Skiles family, and James E. Callahan family).

1860 Watkins Township 2nd, Dent Co., Missouri, House #167
Joseph Edney 22, male, born NC
Martha J. Smith, 19, female, born MO
Brittan Smith, 14, male, born MO
(next door neighbors Samuel Samples with his first wife, and Wilson Grimes)

1870 Texas Township, Dent Co, Missouri, House #122
Edney, Amelia, 63, female, white, keeping house , South Carolina
Edney, Alfred, 23, male, white, farmer, MO

--------------------2 EDNEY, JOSEPH N. (BEEN(? BEN?) JOSEPH N. on marriage record) – Born ca 1836 North Carolina (or Virginia per one census); Married 18 Nov 1858 in Dent Co., MO to Martha J. Smith, daughter of Allen and Serena (Chatman) Smith of Reynolds Co., Missouri. Strangely, she was listed as “Martha J. Smith” on the 1860 Watkins Township Dent Co., Missouri census, even though she was already married to Joseph Edney who was listed as the head of the household. Her brother, Britton Smith, was also living in their household at the time. Joseph died by 1865 when his widow remarried to Samuel Samples (who was a next door neighbor). Joseph’s will was probated in Aug 1867 in Dent Co., Missouri. 6 Aug 1867 Administration of Property for Joseph Edney lists Samuel Samples (married the widow); to James Hunt $1.00 and Elijah Hunt $100 to “settle what estate owed” paid by Samuel Samples; Solomon B. Smith (the brother of Martha Jane and Britton Smith) $10.00, S. O. Crow ($15.00), and S. Gearhart, Lawyer and Administrator ($10.00). Totalled $37.00. He may have died while in the Civil War as he was in Co. B, 10th Missouri Infantry. It is not believed that Joseph had any children by Martha Jane Smith.

Land Patent Book C p 202
Joseph Edney from USA, 1 Sept 1859, Filed 2 May 1871 (delayed??). S and SW Section 35, SE SE Sec 34 Twp 34, Range 8, 120 acres, Dent Co., MO.

Land Patent Cert No. 30,939 (Accession No. M04110_.003 Land Office: Jackson, MO} To Joseph N. Edney of Dent County, Missouri, issued 1 Aug 1860, for 200 acres, Sections 26 (W ½ SE ¼ ), 35 (NE ¼ NE ¼), 25(SW ¼ SW ¼) and 36(NW ¼ NW 1/4 ) in Township 34 North in Range 8 West, Dent Co., Missouri.

Dent Co., MO Deeds
DB SA p 607 Wilson Grimes and wife to Joseph Edney, 20 Oct 1861, 40 acres, for $20, NW SE Sec 34 Twp 34 Range 8.

DB B p 52 Joseph N. Edney and wife to James E. Callahan, 4 Dec 1861, filed 6 Nov 1872, SW SW Sec 25, SE Sec 26 NE NE Sec 35 and NW NW Sec 36 Twp 34 N Range 8, 280 acres.

DB G p 262 Joseph Edney by Administrator S. Gearhart to Samuel Samples, dated 9 Aug 1867 Filed 20 Oct 1868, 160 acres, SW ½ of SW ¼ of Sec 35 Twp 34 Range 8, SW ¼ of SE ¼ and NW ¼ of SE ¼ Sec 34 Twp 34 Range 8. Appraised by Elijah Hunt, S. O. Crow, and N. T. Haneley.

DB SB p 51 Elijah S. Herod and wife to Joseph N. Edney, 25 Feb 1888 (why this delayed date? He was already deceased???), E ½ SE ec 26 Twp 34 Range 8, 80 acres, for $350.

--------------------------+2 SMITH, MARTHA JANE – Born ca 1821/22 Laurence, Giles Co., Tennessee, daughter of Allen and Serena (Chatman) Smith of Reynolds Co., MO. She was the sister of Britton Smith who married Joseph Edney’s sister, Mary Jane Edney. After Joseph Edney’s death, she married Samuel Samples on 20 July 1865 in Salem, Dent Co., MO. He was the son of John and Laurana (Perkins) Samples. John was shot by bushwackers. Buried in the Samples Cemetery in Dent County near the Phelps County line. The plot is located “near Samples Creek, the present Lawrence Rogers farm. The home is in Phelps County, the burial ground in Dent County. There are several unmarked graves including other members of the Samples family. This farm was later owned by Coon Black.” Joseph Edneys widow and her second husband and children moved to Cowley County, Kansas ca 1872 with her brother, Britton Smith and his wife Mary Jane Edney (her double sister-in-law).

1870 Census Watkins Township
House #104 (S.O. Crow was in House #106; Elijah Hunt in House #103 and J. C. Hunt in House #102)
Samples, Samuel 32 male born GA
Samples, M. J., 31 TN (she was his second wife)
Samples, P. C. 8 F born MO
Samples, S. L. 6 F born MO
Samples, M.M 4 F born MO
Samples, J.A. 2 F born MO
Samples, J.S. 1mo born MO
Jacobs, L. E. 21 male born KY

1880 Census Harvey Township, Cowley County, Kansas, T9-0377, p 509C
Sample, Samuel, self, married, male, white, 42 born KY farmer parents born KY
Sample, Martha J., wife, married, female, white, 42 born TN Keeping House TN TN
Sample, Rany S., dau, 15 MO
Sample, Martha N., dau, 14 MO
Sample, Julian A., dau, 12, MO
Sample, John Smith, son, 10 MO
Sample, Didama F., dau, 8 KS
Sample, Emma S., dau, 4 KS
Sample, Rebeca D., dau, 9mos KS

-------------------2 EDNEY, JAMES – Born ca 1838/9 North Carolina or Virginia. Lived in mother’s household in 1850 and 1860. No longer living in household in 1870. Did he die or did he move away? Could he have been killed in the Civil War?

-------------------2 EDNEY, ALFRED L. – Born May 1847 Missouri; Married 13 Jan 1875(?) Dent Co., MO to Elizabeth R. Stites, daughter of Sylvester Stites. In 1910 he was living in Watkins Township, Dent Co., MO in the home of his son Rufus E. Edney and his occupation was given as “auctioneer”. Died 28 April 1917 at home of son, Rufus Edney, in Commerce, Ottawa County, Oklahoma. Buried Neosho.
-------------------------+2 STITES, ELIZABETH R. “Lizzy” – Born Feb 1848, Missouri, daughter of Sylvester Stites.

Dent Co., MO Deeds
DB D p 126 A L EDNEY and wife of Dent County, Mortgage. 4 Nov 1878. W ½ of SE ¼ Sec 29 Twp 34 Range 7, 80 acres.

1880 Dent Co., MO
Alfred Edney 33 M W born Mo father born KY(??? – this has to be an error) mother born NC
Lizzy Edney 23(?) F W born MO father born KY mother born NC
Mary Hassler, 74, widow, boarder, pauper, blind, born NC, father born NC, mother born NC
(Who is she? Was she an aunt of Alfred’s or was she related to Lizzy (Stites) Edney?)

1900 Census Dent Co., MO, Watkins Township
Alfred L. Edney, born May 1847, 53 years, male, married for 22 years, born MO, father born NC, mother born NC, farmer
Elizabeth R. Edney, wife, born Feb 1848, 52 years, born MO, parents born TN
Rufus E. Edney, son, born April 1881, 19, single, born MO, parents born MO
Alice E. Edney, dau, born Dec 1882, 17, born MO
Annie Edney, dau, born Jan 1884, 16, born MO
Ruth O. Edney, dau, Jan 1891, 9, born MO
Stites/Stiles, L., mother-in-law, born 1819, 81 years, born IN, parents born IN

1910 Watkins Township, Dent Co., MO
Series T624, Roll 779, p 280
Edney, Ruffus E., head, male, white, 27years, married, md 4yrs, MO, woodworkman, wagonshop
Edney, Ruth S., wife, female, white, age(?), married, md 4yrs, 0 chilren, born MO
Edney, Alfred L., father, widowed, age 63y, MO NC NC, auctioneer, public sales.

---------------------------------3 EDNEY, RUFUS ELBERT – Born 8 April 1881 near Lennox, Dent Co., MO; married 23 Dec 1905 in Dent Co., MO to Ruth Skiles of Dent County. IN 1910 he and his wife lived in Watkins Township, Dent Co., Missouri where he was working as a “woodworkman” in a wagonshop. He moved to Commerce, Ottawa Co., Oklahoma by 1917. In 1920 he was a bookkeeper in a lumber yard. By 1930, the family had moved to Dallas, Texas where he was a “mechanic, cotton cleaner”. He died 3 Dec 1947 in Dallas, Texas.
-------------------------------------+SKILES, RUTH – Born ca 1882 Missouri.

1920 Commerce, Ottawa Co., Oklahoma, E.D. 132, #413/569/599
Edney, Rufus E., owned free, male, white, 37y, married, MO MO MO, bookkeeper, lumber yard.
Edney, Ruth, wife, white, female, 36years, married, MO MO MO

1930 Dallas 1 Jpct, Dallas Co., Texas, T626, Roll 2321, p 234
Edney, Rufus E., head, owned, male, white, 49years, married at age 24y, MO MO Mo, cotton cleaner, mechanic.
Edney, Ruth, wife, female, white, 48y, married at age 23 MO MO MO

Obituary (Newspaper source not known)
“Rufus Elbert Edney – d. Dec 3, 1947, Ruffus Elbert, residence 2819 Grove St. passed away Wed. Survived by his wife Mrs. Ruth Edney, three sisters Mrs. R. E. Webber, Jonesboro, Ind., Mrs. G. C. Van Horn, Spring, TX, Mrs. S.W. Welch, Salem, MO. Services 2 p.m. Friday, Sparkman-Brand Chapel, Rev. Fitzhugh M. Talobot & Rev S. W. Edge officiating. Interment in Salem, MO. Pallbearers Fred Blasingame, G. S. Hughes, A.S. Davis, Charles Ward, John W. Boorman, Joe E. Hinkley.”

---------------------------------3 EDNEY, ALICE E. – Born Dec 1882 MO; Married R. E. WEBBER. In 1947, she lived in Jonesboro, Indiana.
--------------------------------------+3 WEBBER, R. E.

---------------------------------3 EDNEY, ANNIE – Born Jan 1884 MO; Married S. W. WELCH. In 1947, she lived in Salem, Dent Co., Missouri.
---------------------------------------+3 WELCH, S. W.

---------------------------------3 EDNEY, RUTH O. – Born Jan 1891 MO; Married GUY C. VANHORN. In 1947, she lived in Spring, Texas.
------------------------------------+3 VANHORN, GUY C.

-------------------2 EDNEY, MARY JANE – Born 4 Jan 1848 Salem, Dent Co., MO; married 21 May 1866 Salem, Dent Co., MO to Britton Capril/Capel Smith (Civil War Co B 10th Infantry), son of Allen and Serena (Chatman) Smith; Died 13 Dec 1946 in William Newton Memorial Hospital, Winfield, Cowley County, Kansas; Buried Highland Cemetery, Winfield, Cowley County, Kansas.

Winfield Daily Courier
“MRS. MARY JANE SMITH DIES HERE AT AGE OF 98”
“Mrs. Mary Jane Smith, 98, a Kansan for 71 years, died Friday afternoon at 3:50 p.m. at Newton Memorial Hospital where she was taken about a week ago after she had fallen and fractured her hip.
Mrs. Smith was no doubt one of the oldest women in Winfield and community. Had she lived until January 4, she would have been 99 years old. She had been living at the home of her daughter, Mrs. W. J. Yianakopolous, 103, Indiana Street.
She was born in Salem, Dent County, Missouri, January 04, 1848, the daughter of AMELIA AND SAMUEL EDNEY, who came to Missouri from North Carolina in the early days. In 1866 she was married to a young Englishman, Brittian C. Smith. They continued to live in the Ozark country in Missouri for a period following their marriage. Times were rugged and warfare was waging with the guerillas, so the couple decided they did not wish to rear their children in such an atmosphere, they moved to Kansas.
The Smiths, together with a group of relatives, came overland by covered wagon train drawn by oxen to Kansas. That was in 1875. They settled at Oswego and remained a year, then came to Cowley County and preempted a claim at the head of Grouse Creek near Latham. Later, they lived at Emporia for a time but returned to Winfield in 1920. Mr. Smith died in 1931. She had been a member of the Free Methodist Church for over 65 years.
She was the mother of 15 children, 10 of whom are living. They are Joe Smith, Alva, Oklahoma; Mrs. Lee Pickens, Cambridge; John Smith, Blue Mound, Mrs. Celia Emmel, Winfield, Rufus Smith, Humeston, Iowa; Mrs. Mae Rowe, Altoona, Mrs. Hester Fulton, Winfield, Alonzo Smith, Wauneta, Mrs. W. J. Yianakopolous, Winfield, and Mrs. Auguta Gillespie, Winfield, besides grandchildren, great grandchildren and great, great grandchildren.
Funeral services will be held Sunday at 2:30 p.m. from the Morris Funeral Home. Interment will be in Highland Cemetery.

From the Winfield Daily Courier
Society News
January 1945
(Abstracted by LaVelda Faull from a zeroxed copy of the original from the paper)

MRS. MARY JANE SMITH, 97, OBSERVES BIRTHDAY IN HER HOME
"Mrs. Mary Jane Smith was 97 years old on January 4, and to celebrate the event quietly, five of her daughters and grandchildren met at the home of Mrs. and Mrs. John B. Yianakopulos, 103 Indiana, Sunday for dinner. A large angel food cake centered the dinner table.

Mrs. Smith's health is excellent for one of advanced years; her eyesight and hearing are splendid and yesterday all day she was happy about the celebration of her anniversary. She is up and around the home each day, but for the past 18 months she has not been able to set out of doors or go places much. Twice a day she takes a short nap, morning and afternoon. She reads and sews without the aid of glasses, having discarded them sometime ago.

Mrs. Smith has known all of the hardships and privations of a pioneer woman. She was born in Salem, Dent County, Missouri, January 4, 1848, the daughter of AMELIA and SAMUEL EDNEY, who came to Missouri from North Carolina, in the very early days. Her folks died in Missouri.

In 1866 she was married to a young Englishman, BRITAIN C.. SMITH. They continued to live in the Ozark region for a time after their marriage, but with the guerilla warfare raging in which he was called upon to participate, he decided, he did not want to rear his children in that atmosphere, and they decided to come to Kansas.

In 1875, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, together with a group of relatives, started to this state with three covered wagons, drawn by oxen, in the wagon train. They settled at Oswego and farmed there a year but times were hard and they decided to move on, and came to Cowley county where they pre-empted a claim at the head of Grouse Creek near Latham.

The land was broad prairie, no homes for miles and miles. There they had the taste of early day life - it was soon after the grasshopper scourge and many, many times food was scarce. Prairie chicken and wild turkey were common, so they set traps and caught their meat to care for them through the winter months.

Indians were common, too -- they would ride up to the house on their ponies, wearing bright blankets and lashing their whips and demand food from the Smiths. One time they went to the smoke house where hung a side of pork and said, "We want hog meat".. They took the meat and divided it among them and left.

Mrs. Smith had a spinning wheel. She carded wool and spun and wove flax, making the family's clothes and blankets as well, even striping them. There were no fences at the time and she milked the cows at the end of a lariat rope.

Mrs. Smith was the mother of 15 children, 11 of whom are living. She has 75 grandchildren and 60 great-grandchildren. She says the small grandchildren do not annoy her or make her nervous and the little folks are always interested in not having Grandma get sick. As one of her little grandsons said Sunday while the company was around, "Come quick and close the door. Grandma can't have a draft on her.."

In 1910 the Smiths decided to leave the Grouse creek farm and go to Emporia, where they farmed for 10 years, returning to Winfield, Kansas in 1920 when Mr. Smith retired. He died in 1932. Mrs. Smith's oldest child is 78 and the youngest one is 49.. She has eight grandchildren in service and all are overseas. One granddaughter is a WAC in England and another granddaughter is an army nurse in France. The others are either in Germany or Italy. She is a member of the Free Methodist Church.

Her {surviving}children are JOSEPH SMITH, Ringwood, Oklahoma; TYRA of Medicine Lodge, JOHN of Blue Mound, RUFUS of Humeston, Iowa; ALONZO of Sedan; MRS. RUTH PICKENS, Cambridge; MRS. CELIA EMMELL; MRS. HESTER FULTON; MRS. VESTA YIANAKOPULOS; and MRS. AUGUSTA GILLESPIE of Winfield, MRS. MAY ROWE of Redland, California."

-----------------------+2 SMITH, BRITTON/BRITTAIN CAPRIL/CAPEL – Born 25 Dec 1844 Reynolds County, Missouri, son of Allen and Serena (Chat(p)man) Smith. He died Tuesday, 22 Sept 1931 at his residence, 1213 Manning, Winfield, Cowley County, Kansas.

Dent Co., Missouri Deeds
DB F p 104
JANE W. SMITH to BRITTON C. SMITH , both of Dent Co., MO, 17 April 1866, filed 15 Sept 1866, for $20, “1/5 of being all my interest in the following described tract of land: E ½ lots 4 and 5 of the NE ¼ Sec No. 3 Twp 34 Range 7”, 80 acres. (This land needs to be traced).

DB G p 207
JANE W. SMITH to ELIJAH SMITH, 17 April 1868, Filed 15 Aug 1868, SE ¼ SE ¼ and NE SE Sec 34 Twp 35 R 7, and Sec 35 Twp 35 R 7, 120 acres,” for natural love and affection…to her son Elijah Smith”. Wit: JOHN E. INMAN, REBECCA INMAN.

DB T p 181 BRITTAIN C. SMITH and MARYJANE his wife of Texas County, MO to William J. Nickles, 11 Feb 1874, for $65, part of Sec 29 and univided interest in NW ¼ and N ½ of SW ¼ and NW ¼ of SE ¼ and SE ¼ and S ½ Lot 1 of SW ¼ and SE ¼ of NE ¼, Sec 32 and 31, Twp 31, Range 5. (I need to trace this land also).

DB H p 542 JANE W. SMITH to Luman/Suman Richard, 10 Aug 1870, SE SE Sec 24 Twp 35 R 7, 1 acre, $5.00.

Texas Co., MO Deeds
Deed Book F p 715, Solomon B. Smith and Elizabeth his wife to BRITTON C. SMITH both of Texas Co., MO, 31 Aug 1869, 6 Dec 1870, $100, 80 acres, SE ¼ NE ¼ Sec 8 SW NW Sec 9 Twp 33 Range 8.

DB F p 715 BRITTON C. SMITH and MARY J., his wife, of Dent Co., Mo to William D. Watson of Texas Co., MO, 6 Dec 1870, SE NE Sec 8 and SW NW Sec 9 Twp 33 Range 8.

DB I or J(?), p. 332. B. C. SMITH and M. J. his wife to John Brinckley of St. Louis, MO, 20 Feb 1873, SE ¼ NE ¼ Sec 8 and SW ¼ NW ¼ Sec 9 Twp 33 Range 8, 80 acres, $100.

There were about five obituaries for Britton C. Smith. Each one gives a bit more information, although they are basically the same.

Obituary
(Newspaper Source for this obit not known. )

“BRITTIAN C. SMITH. Funeral services for Brittian C. Smith, who died at his home Tuesday night, were held Thursday from the Morris Funeral Home. Rev. Francis J. Archer, pastor of the Free Methodist Church officiated at the services. He was assisted by Rev. E. C. Lindley, district elder of the church. The text used by Rev. Mr. Archer for the funeral sermon was taken from Psalms 115:16. A quartet composed of Mrs. Flora Harcourt, Miss Jane Arnold, Rev. J. W. Dibbens and W. H. Hadduck sang three numbers. They were “Jesus Lover of My Soul”, “The Home of the Soul”, and “Asleep in Jesus.” Pallbearers for the funeral were the grandsons of Mrs. Smith. Interment was made in the Highland Cemetery.
Brittian Capril Smith was born in Reynolds County, M, December 25, 1844, and died at his home at the age of 86 years, 8 months and 29 days. He had been a resident of Winfield for the past 11 years.
Mr. Smith was united in marriage to MARYJANE EDNEY in Dent County, Mo., on March 29, 1866. Mr. and Mrs Smith came to Kansas in 1875, and with their five children homesteaded an 80-acre farm near Burden. Mr. Smith was the father of 15 children, 13 of whom, with his widow, survive him. His surviving children are Mrs. John Abbott of Arkansas City, Mrs. Lee Pickens of Cambridge, Mrs. Ed Stevens of Neoso, Mo, Mrs. George Rowe of Lincoln, KS, Mrs. Jack Fulton of Kansas City, KS, Mrs. William ianakopolous, Mrs. Celia Emmel and Miss Augusta Smith of Winfield, W. T. Smith of Sun City, John Smith of Hugoton, Rufus Smith of Humeston, Iowa and Alonzo Smith of Wauneta. He is survived by 54 grandchildren and 68 great-grandchildren.
At the age of ten years, Mr. Smith united with the Baptist Church, but transferred his membership to the Methodist Church at the age of 21 years. A few years later he joined the Free Methodist Church, of which he was a member for over 50 years. He was an invalid for the past seven years of his life.”

Obituary
Winfield Daily Courier
“B. C. SMITH DEAD. A former Chautauqua resident, Mr. B. C. Smith, was born December 25, 1844 in Dent County, MO and departed this life September 22, 1931. He was 86 years, 8 mos, 22 days old. His mother died when he was 18 months old and his father died when he was 6 years old. His sister reared him from childhood. H ews a soldier with the Union Army during the Civil War. At Rollo, MO, he fought in 8 major battles and experienced guerilla warfare. He served about four years for his country.
He was married to Mary Jane Edney, March 29, 1866. They made their home in Dent County, MO for a few years, then they with 5 children came to Kansas in the year 1875 and homesteaded a farm on Grouse Creek near Latham. They lived there until 1900. They moved near Emporia, Kansas, lived there nine years. They returned to Winfield, lived there two years. Then they moved to Chautauqua County, made their home there for eight years, returning to Winfield eleven years ago.
Mr. Smith not only homesteaded land and suffered hardships, but he raised a family of 15 children, 13 of whom are still living. Mr. Smith is survived by his widow, Mrs. Mary Jane Smith, and his children, Mrs. John Abbott of Arkansas City, Mrs. Lee Pickens of Cambridge, Mrs. Ed Stevens of Neosho, MO, Mrs. George Rowe of Lincoln, KS, Mrs. Jack Fulton of Kansas City, KS, Mrs. William Yianakopolous, Mrs. Celia Emmel and Miss Augusta Smith of Winfield, W. T. Smith of Sun City, John Smith of Hugoton, Rufus Smith of Humeston, Iowa and Alonzo Smith of Wauneta”.

Another obituary from the Winfield Daily Courier
“BRITIAN C. SMITH died Tuesday at 10:45 p.m. at his home at 1213 Manning at the age of 80 years, 8 months and 29 days. He was born in Missouri on December 25, 1844. For the past 11 years he had been a resident of Winfield. Funeral services will be held Friday at 2:30 p.m. from the Morris Funeral Home.
Mr. Smith was united in marriage to Mary Jane Edney in Dent County, MO on March 29, 1866. Mr. and Mrs. Smith with five children came to Kansas in the year 1875 and homesteaded on a farm of 80 acres on Grouse Creek. They came by train as far as Oswego and from there made the trip overland.
Their first dwelling was a box house made of walnut lumber found in the pasture. Later Mr. Smith built a home of stone for his family. Here they lived until 1900 when the moved to Emporia where they lived for nine years before returning to Winfield. At the end of the two years the Smiths moved to Chautauqua County where they made their home for eight years, returning to Winfield 11 years ago.
Mr. Smith not only homesteaded land and suffering many hardships but he raised a family of 15 children, 13 of whom are still living. Last March Mr. and Mrs. Smith celebrated their sixty-fifth wedding anniversary. Mr. Smith is survived by his widow, Mrs. Mary Jane smith; and his children, Mrs. John Abbott of Arkansas City, Mrs. Lee Pickens of Cambridge, Mrs. Ed Stevens of Neosho, MO, Mrs. George Rowe of Lincoln, KS; Mrs. Jack Foulton of Kansas City, Kansas, Mrs. Vesta Yianakopolous, Mrs. Celia Emmel and Miss Augusta Smith of Winfield, W. T. Smith of Sun City, John Smith of Hugoton, Rufus Smith of Humeston, Iowa and Alonzo Smith of Waunetta.”

Taken from Obituary given to Sam L. Pickens,Jr. by Corrine Engel, daughter of Rufus Smith –
“B. C. SMITH DEAD. A former Chautauqua resident, Mr. B. C. Smith, was born December 25, 1844, in Dent County, Missouri, and departed this life September 22, 1931. He was 86 years, 8 months and 22 days old. His mother died when he was only 18 months old and his father died when he was 6 years old. His sister reared him from childhood. He was a soldier with the Union Army during the Civil War. At Rollo, MO, he fought 8 major battles and experienced guerilla warfare. He served about 4 years for his country.
He was married to Mary Jane Edney, March 29, 1866. They made their home in Dent County, MO, for a few years, then they with 5 children came to Kansas in the year 1875 and homesteaded a farm on Grouse Creek near Latham. Here they lived till 1900 when they moved near Emporia, Kansas, lived there nine years, returned to Winfield, lived there two years, then moved to Chautauqua County and for eight years made their home, but returned to Winfield and resided eleven years, where he answered his Creator’s call. He and Mrs. Smith reared a family of fifteen children to man and womanhood. Two, Miss Tempa Smith and Mrs. Mattie Simmons preceded him several years. There were 13 living children. All but two, Mrs. Ed Stevens of Neosho, MO and Mr. Rufus Smith of Humeston, Iowa, were present for the funeral.
There were left to mourn his death: his wife, Mary Smith, Winfield; Mrs. Frances Abbott, Arkansas City; Mrs. Ruth Pickens of Cambridge, Kansas; Mrs. Celia Emmel of Winfield,Kansas; Mrs. Vesta Yianakopolous of Winfield; Mrs. Hester Fulton of Kansas City, Kansas; Mrs. May Rowe of Lincoln, Kansas; Miss Gustie Smith of Winfield, Kansas; Mr. Joe Smith of Ringwood, Oklahoma; Mr. Tyre Smith of Medicine Lodge, Kansas; Mr. Lonzo Smith of Wauneta, Kansas; Mr. John Smith of Hewins, Kansas. There were 54 grandchildren and 68 great-grandchildren and a host of friends.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Smith spent much time reading the Bible. They have been members of the Free Methodist church for 50 years. He was a wonderful worker for God, a wonderful father and a loyal citizen, loved to do good for his neighbor and his fellow men. He will be greatly missed by all who knew him.”

Cowley County Heritage Book, p 291 says basically what his obituaries said and……. “Mr. Smith built his house from walnut lumber from the farm. He later built a stone house. He had a big apple orchard…….”

1870 Texas Township, Dent County, Missouri
Smith, Braton, 23, male, white, farmer, MO
Smith, M. J., 18, female, white, keeping house, MO
Smith, Joseph, 3, male, white, MO
Smith, M. M., 2, female, white, MO
Smith, S. A., 4/12, female, white, MO

1880 Harvey Twp, Cowley Co., Kansas, Film T9-0377, pg 508B
Brittan C. Smith, self, M,W, 33, married, farmer born MO NC NC
Mary J. Smith, wife, F, W, 29, married, keeping house born MO NC NC
Joseph T. C. Smith, son, MW, 13, MO MO MO
Martha M. Smith, dau, FW, 11, MO MO MO
Frances A. Smith, dau, FW, 10, MO MO MO
Ruth A. Smith, dau, FW, 8 MO MO MO
William L. Smith, son, MW, 7, MO MO MO
Elizabeth T. Smith, dau, FW, 3 KS MO MO
John M. Smith, son, MW, 2 KS MO MO

1900 Harvey Township, Cowley Co., Kansas, T623, Roll 476, p 127
Smith, Britton, Dec 1845, 55, married 34yrs, Mo NC TN, Farmer
Smith, Mary, wife, Jan 1850, 50y, married 34yrs, MO NC NC
15 children, 15 still living
Smith, John M., son, Aug 1878, 21, farm laborer born KS
Smith, Celia, dau, Dec 1884, 15y, KS
Smith, Rufus A., son, Dec(?) 1885, 14, KS
Smith, Mary S., dau, Apr 1888, 12, KS
Smith, Hester A., dau, July 1889, 10 KS
Smith, Solomon O., son, Dec 1890, 9, KS
Smith, Silvia S., dau, Mar 1894, 6, KS
Smith, Augusta T., dau, Dec 1895, 4, KS

1910 Winfield, 5-WD, Cowley Co., KS, T624 R436 p 196, Olive Street, #317/326
Smith, B.C., head, M W 65 md 47y, MO TN TN
Smith, Mary J., wife, 61, md 47y, MO SC SC, 15 children, 14 still living
Smith, Vesta, dau, 16, KS
Smith, Gusta, dau, 14, KS
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions