Search for content in message boards

Rufe, OK prior to 1907 ??

Rufe, OK prior to 1907 ??

Laura Tollett-Cox (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Im doing gen. on my family. My maiden name was Tollett. I know that most of my family was there in Rufe before it became a part of mccurtain county in 1907. I have some old family pictures that were taken in 1905. My grandfather as well as my father were born there. My grandfather in 1917 and my father in 1947. I cannot find any of my family listed there. I know that my grandmother was Chotaw and Cherokee Indian. Can you tell me what "county" or region Rufe was in prior to 1907?

Thank you,

Laura Tollett-Cox

Re: Rufe, OK prior to 1907 ??

Johnnie Sue Hill (View posts)
Posted: 9 Sep 2001 3:19PM GMT
Dear Laura,

My grandmother was Mattie Elsie Tollett born in Rufe, OK, August 3, 1912. Her father was Thomas Jefferson Tollett born in Chattanooga Tennessee March 26, 1893. Thomas Jefferson Tollett married Mary Adeline Dickerson. Thomas Jefferson's parents were James Thomas Tollett and Florence Tennessee Rice.

I don't know the answer to your question except that Rufe is right on the Choctaw County line and also very close pushmataha county.

The Tollett family tree is posted at familysearch.com. I also ran across a history of the family at a Sevier County Arkansas website, but can't remember the web address. I think it was The Sevier County Historical Society.

Who do Have pics of? Who was your grandmother and grandfather. Maybe I can help you more.

Johnnie Hill

laura (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2001 11:58AM GMT
Surnames: tollett
Johnnie:

my grandfather is Raymond Lee Tollett. He is Thomas Jefferson Tolletts brother. James Thomas and Florence Tennessee are my great grand parents. I really have little to go on. I have only one picture. It is of James and Florence with their children, although, my grandfather was not in the picture. I think it was made before he was born. It is incredible to me that James looks just like my father. I will email you the picture this evening.

thank you,
laura

Johnnie Sue Hill (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2001 8:14PM GMT
Thanks so much! I can't wait to see the picture. I Have been to the cemetery in Rufe and have dates of birth and death for James Thomas and Florence Tollett. They are my gg-grandparents.

Thanks,
Johnie Sue

laura (View posts)
Posted: 15 Sep 2001 2:25AM GMT
I will get the pic sent off in the morning. Its been a hard week for all of us. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this weeks attacks. I was doing some thinking and I think we are second cousins? Does that sound right? James and Florence are my great grandparents. I will be sending the pic from work, so you may recieve it from a email address of rgraham, that will be me. Send it soon.

Posted: 6 Sep 2008 5:00PM GMT
Dear Laura, It's been awhile since we last communicated, but I would like to ask a favor. Could you resend the picture of the Tolletts. I lost all my info on my computer. It also came to me that Rufe, as well as the rest of Oklahoma, did not become a state until November 1907 and was known as Indian Territory prior to statehood. Johnnie

Posted: 6 Sep 2008 5:18PM GMT
If you can send me your address, I will go to walmart and have the pictures put on a disk , and then mail it to you. I don't have a scanner here at the house.
You know my Grandfather, Raymond Tollett, passed a couple of years ago. It will be two years this December.

Posted: 6 Sep 2008 5:36PM GMT
Thanks for going to all that trouble. My address is as follows: Johnnie Hill, PO Box 434, Haworth, OK 74740. Sorry about your loss. G-Grandpa Thomas Jefferson Tollett's brother Harry also died not too long ago. He is buried at Rufe, also. My mother died three years ago and is buried there at the foot of her mother's grave, Mattie Elsie Tollett Henson. I go there often. If you wuold like I could send you pics of all the Tolletts gravesites. Thanks again. Johnnie

HILLs in Hayworth, OK

Posted: 6 Sep 2008 7:05PM GMT
Johnnie - I am very curious about your HILLs in Hayworth, OK. I have several 1st cousins in that neck of the woods. They live in and around Broken Bow, OK now.

I attended 1st grade there in 1947-48.

Might you be related to them?

Please send me an e-mail: PoolL@theriver.com

Lawrence D. Pool
Tucson, AZ

Re: HILLs in Hayworth, OK

Posted: 7 Sep 2008 2:49AM GMT
I was married to Gary lynn Hill for many years. The hills you are referring to are cousins not on the Hill side, but the Vanscoder. His mother Della Jean Shelton Hill was a cousin through her grandfather Charles Vanscoder. Hope this helps. Johnnie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic