Search for content in message boards

location of town "Carwile"?

location of town "Carwile"?

Katherine I. MOCK (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CHANEY, HENDRIX, CHAMBERLAIN
Can anyone tell me where the town of Carwile, OK is or was located? My husband's great-grandmother, Mary Ann CHANEY, and two adult children, James W. CHANEY and Caldona HENDRIX, widow of John B. HENDRIX, in 1901 & 1902 homesteaded in Section 6, TWP 23N, Range 10W of Indian Meridian. Their claims were filed at Alva, Woods Co, OK, but when we recently visited there we were told that the land did not lie in Woods County, but was near the boundary of Alfalfa and Major County. They weren't sure which county.
We have a map which shows Carwile, OK to be located in Section 5, TWP 23N, Range 10W just East of where their claims were located. We would like to find the exact location of these claims on current maps, if possible.
Is or was Carwile located in Alfalfa County? Thanks for any help anyone can give. Kathy MOCK
Posted: 17 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 4:03AM GMT
Surnames: CARWILE
The previous message was in error. The town remembered is McWILLIE (on Highway 15) not Carwile! The information from OKLAHOMA PLACE NAMES is correct. Sorry about that!
Posted: 17 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 4:03AM GMT
Surnames: CARWILE
The town of Carwile no longer exists but was in Alfalfa County. OKLAHOMA PLACE NAMES has this:

In southeastern Alfalfa County, 5 miles south of Helena. Post office from June 30, 1894, to April 15, 1905. Named for James D. Carwile, early-day resident.

We go by the place frequently. It is on Highway 15 and all that is left are two homes and an elevator.

Location of Carwile, OK

Posted: 2 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jan 2004 11:18PM GMT
Surnames: BRADLEY, LARSSON, EDWARDS, AUGUSTINE, JONES
From the Standard Atlas of Woods County (Okla Terr.) of 1906 (Alfalfa County would later be separated from Woods County):
Town site of Carwile was located in Sec. 5, Twp 23N, R10W. It was the S 1/2 of the NE 1/4 approx. 40 acres. It had (platted) a Public Square and 35 plats of lots. The SE corner was the 1/4 section corner of Sec 5 and Sec 4.
It should be noted that present day Alfalfa, Major, & Woods county were at one time all in Woods County. The split occurred after Statehood.
By way of explaination, I was born and raised in Goltry, Alfalfa County, and a great Uncle of mine, Louis B. Larsson lived near Carwile when I was very young.
Hope this answers the question/questions.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions