Search for content in message boards

Cooksey's of Cumberland and Clinton Co, KY

Cooksey's of Cumberland and Clinton Co, KY

Lisa Perry (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2000 6:11PM GMT
Am researching family of Volentine and Nancy Cooksey. They are listed in the Cumberland Co 1850 census but where did they come from? Later censuses say Virginia - do you have a lead? Thanks!

Nancy Cooksey

Posted: 25 Jul 2000 5:03PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 7:42PM GMT
I have 2 Nancy Cooksey's in my line: does your info match either of these?
Nancy #1:
Nancy E., born circa 1848 in MO, daughter of John (b 1826/27) Margaret (b 1830 MO) Cooksey, married James Lawson (b ca. 1848).
siblings: Susan J. (1846 MO), Valentine (1852 MO), James W. (1854 MO), John B. (1858 MO), Mary E. (1860 MO)

Nancy #2:
Nancy Lewis married Vol (Valentine?) Cooksey (b 1816), brother of Samuel Henry Cooksey.
Their children:
Sally (1841), James (1844), Lucretia (1847-48)*she was first wife of David Haggard Easter, John (1849).

Samuel Henry Cooksey married Nancy Stone and their daughter, Lydia (1826), was the mother of James Lawson mentioned above after her marriage to Robert Lawson (1824 TN).

If this matches anything you have, please let me know.
Happy Hunting!

Nancy Cooksey Connection

Lisa Perry (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2000 6:32AM GMT
Sheila, Yippeee! You're my first true Cooksey connection and I'd love to share my information with you! Your Nancy #2 is my line! Please contact me at lpperry@ix.netcom.com. :)

NANCY E. COOKSEY

Posted: 26 Jul 2000 6:21PM GMT
WELL...I'M GLAD I COULD HELP A LITTLE. THE INFO I GAVE YOU WAS GIVEN TO ME BY A COUSIN, DARRYL LAWSON, BUT THAT'S ABOUT ALL HE HAD.
SORRY!
I DO HAVE A QUESTION THAT YOU MAY BE ABLE TO HELP WITH, THO.
I HAVE A GRAY AREA IN THE COOKSEY BUNCH THAT I CAN'T SEEM TO WORK THRU AND I'M HOPING MAYBE YOU CAN HELP SHED A LITTLE LIGHT.
NANCY #1 IS MY LINE, (HER HUSBAND WAS MY GG-GPA), BUT HIS MOTHER WAS A COOKSEY, TOO. GO FIGURE. HER NAME WAS LYDIA AND SHE WAS THE
DAUGHTER OF SAMUEL HENRY COOKSEY, BROTHER TO YOUR VALENTINE, AND NANCY STONE.
NANCY'S DAD WAS JOHN COOKSEY (M. TO MARGARET ...?). IS JOHN VALENTINE'S SON? BROTHER? NEPHEW? WHAT?
IF SO, HOW ON EARTH DO I SORT THIS OUT!??

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO GO ON HERE.
BASICALLY, I'M LOOKING TO SEE IF YOUR VALENTINE'S SON JOHN HAD A DAUGHTER
NAMED NANCY WHO MARRIED A JAMES LAWSON.

TALK TO YOU SOON!
SHELIA :>

Nancy Dilemma

Lisa Perry (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2000 1:20PM GMT
Sheila, I wish I could shed some light on your Nancy dilemma but your information on is the first link I have to my Valentine Cooksey line. Where did your Cookseys migrate to in Missouri? My Valentine line remained in Clinton County, KY. Ironically, Valentine's son (John Thomas) married another Nancy in KY and they had sons named Valentine (b. 1869 in KY) and John (b. 1887 in KY). Talk about confusing! Anyway I'd appreciate if you could put me in contact with Darryl; if I know more about Samuel Henry, I may be able to find our connection during a visit to KY next week. Thanks!

COOKSEY LINE

Posted: 27 Jul 2000 3:52PM GMT
LISA,
MY COOKSEY'S CAME TO ST. FRANCOIS, THEN WASHINGTON, COUNTIES
IN MO.
I WENT BACK THRU MY FILES AND FOUND THAT NANCY'S FATHER, JOHN,
WAS BORN IN 1826 KY, SO HE COULDN'T HAVE BEEN YOUR VALENTINE'S SON.
HOWEVER, I HAVE AN AUNT WHO HAS SOME RESEARCH ON ANOTHER LINE, THE LAWSON'S,
AND THAT SHOWS SAM VAL WITH A BROTHER NAMED JOHN, SO MAYBE I CAN
EXPLORE THAT.

AS FOR CONTACTING DARRYL, HE DOES MOSTLY LAWSON LINE, FROM WHAT I'VE LEARNED, BUT
YOU MIGHT GIVE HIM A TRY, AS HIS DATABASE IS QUITE LARGE. YOU CAN REACH HIM VIA
EMAIL AT DARRYL.ERMALEE.LAWSON@JUNO.COM

GOOD LUCK!
SHELIA :>

Cooksey Line

Lisa Perry (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2000 5:05PM GMT
Sheila, Thanks for the extra info. If you'll contact me directly at lpperry@ix.netcom.com, I'd like to forward you a copy of Mel Cooksey's genealogy paper. It may have some info there that you can link!

Mel Cooksey's lineage pages

Posted: 18 Jan 2001 6:45PM GMT
Edited: 14 Oct 2004 6:35AM GMT
Could you e-mail me those. I had them, but my computer got alzheimer's and when we had it fixed, I lost my data. Thanks.
I'm a Cooksey down through John Baptists line to Margaret E. (Emma) Cooksey. Then it goes into Mattlock and Lee and My Mom was a Lee. I'm trying to tie up a few loose ends.

ancesters

dorothy grossenheider (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2001 9:15PM GMT
My grandfather came from the same general area and his name was COOLEY, he came from gravel switch ky, his family was in the civil war-could this be the same family?

Ancestors

Lisa Perry (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2001 10:30AM GMT
Dorothy, I haven't run across the Cooley name in my research but have discovered since I posted that last query that I may be linked to the Cooksey Clan from Maryland.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic