Search for content in message boards

A.W. Galland of Iowa

A.W. Galland of Iowa

Posted: 23 Nov 2008 3:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Galland
Hi everyone - I recently found out my "real" last name is Galland (My grandfather's name was changed in his childhood). Now I'm trying to put all the pieces together on this individual, my great-great-grandfather:

A.W. Galland
-- born around 1866 in Iowa
-- parents born in either Iowa (both) or Scotland (father) and Ireland (mother)
-- lived in Colorado, married Annie Milner (b. 1869 Kentucky)
-- children: Charles (b. 1902); Wilbur J. (b. 1904, my great-grandfather); Arthur (b. 1906); Alva (b. 1908) and Harold (b. 1910)
-- I believe A.W. Galland died before 1920.

I've been looking into the Galland family branches in Iowa, but I'm not finding any clues. Thanks for any hints!

--Maija Anderson

Re: A.W. Galland of Iowa

Posted: 18 Dec 2008 8:46PM GMT
I think I've settled this on my own - I believe that this individual is probably Abijah William Galland, son of Artemes Galland and Eleanor Mott.

Posted: 27 Dec 2008 4:52AM GMT
Maija,
It sounds like you are on the right path with this. I am trying to start a Galland family newsletter. Would you be interested in recieving a copy? I am trying to send the first edition out by the end of January. If you are interested just get me your mailing address. My email is designit71@yahoo.com. Good luck.

Teresa Perry

Posted: 27 Dec 2008 5:04AM GMT
I just checked my records, and I do not have an Abijah Wright listed with the children of Artemes and Elenor. I would like to make the addition if you can tell me how you linked AW to this family. I am also very interested in how his last name was changed. This would be a great story for the newletter if you are willing to contribute it.

Teresa Perry

Posted: 27 Dec 2008 1:25PM GMT
You have my interest up. I poked around in some Weld County records, and newspaper clippings and this family is well represented. I did not, however, find a death date for A.W. Thanks so much for helping me add this branch to my family tree. If you need the links to the newspaper clippings or Weld County files, just let me know.

Teresa Perry

Posted: 29 Dec 2008 1:50AM GMT
Maija,
Abijah william Galland was the younger brother of my grandfather, John Wesley, who changed the spelling to Gallant. Abijah was born in 1864 in Lee County, Iowa, and was the son of Artemas N. and Eleanor Mott Galland. Abijah died 27 November 1918 in Denver, Colorado during the flu epidemic. His grandmother was Phoebe Gandy Galland, and there were many Abijah's in the Gandy family. The family knew him as "Bige". I have a picture of him as a young man. If you are interested, I could send you a copy.
Clarice Gallant Hart

Posted: 30 Jan 2009 3:21PM GMT
Dear Teresa and Clarice,

Thank you both for your responses - I apologize for taking so long to follow up!

Here is some additional family info that you might find interesting:

My grandfather was born Wilbur J. Galland, Jr., in 1923 in Greeley, Colorado. His mother was Mardelle Baker (b. 1905, Wisconsin), and his father was Wilbur J. Galland, Sr., (b. 1904, Colorado). They lived in Greeley, CO when my grandfather was very young. I know almost nothing about Mardelle Baker's family; they were from around Racine, WI.

Our family lore is that Wilbur J. Galland, Sr. died in a motorcycle accident, though I don’t think this is reliable. Mardelle later married a man named Anderson, and my grandfather took that last name as well. Our family name has been Anderson ever since - It was only a few months ago that I confirmed through family that our "real" last name is Galland. Most of my family (the Andersons) are in California.

I first identified A.W. Galland as the son of Artemes Galland and Eleanor Mott mainly through a process of elimination working through all the descendants I found for Abel, Isaac and David Galland - but I've since found Abijah "Bige" William Galland in Hunt's research, listed as b. 1864 Lee County, Iowa and d. ca. 1918 in Florence, Fremont, CO. Hunt shows that Abijah William Galland was married to Anna Milner - I also found census records showing A.W. Galland married to an Annie Milner (b. ca. 1869, Kentucky).

Thanks again for sharing your information and enthusiasm - You've both given me a lot more to think about!

--Maija Anderson

Posted: 20 Aug 2011 9:52PM GMT
I have just found your post. My family has been looking for years for information about William Galland. He was my grandfather, but left his family in Greeley and was never heard from again. My father was Harold Thomas Galland, his brothers were Charlie, Art, Bill and Alvie. They also had a sister named Mamie. My grandmother was Anna Milner. She raised her family alone in Greeley. I have a brother, Charles (DeVere Edward) Galland and had one sister, Dorothy
Jean Galland (Warren). Dorotohy died in 1983. I would love to share information and I have a few family photos you might find interesting.

Posted: 21 Aug 2011 5:38PM GMT
Thanks so much for the information. So, William was Abijah William Galland. Son of Artemes N. Galland and Eleanor Mott. He is named after Artemes' brother Abijah. I didn't have Mamie on my list of children, so thank you. Your poor grandmother, to be abandoned like that on the and raise 6 Children alone. Bless her. I would love any information on their children. What was your mother's maiden name? The photos would be amazing also. My email address is designit71@yahoo.com. Thanks again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic