Search for content in message boards

William Hoge marries PRIOR to Barbara Hume

William Hoge marries PRIOR to Barbara Hume

Posted: 7 Nov 2001 4:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hoge / Hogg
I have William Hoge marrying (in approx.1679-80) a Mary (maiden name unknown), BEFORE his marriage to Barbara Hume in 1689. From this union a son, James, was born in 1680. Does anyone else have info on this early marriage?

Mary is said to have been born in 1665 in Brittany, France, and died in 1735 in Prince William Co.,VA.

Please reply to :
laurelrjohnson@hotmail.com

Re: William Hoge marries PRIOR to Barbara Hume

Debby Lantz (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2002 2:10AM GMT
Surnames: Hoge
I have been doing a lot of research on this family and I dont have any info that William married previous to Barbara Hume. Barbara's mother and dad died aboard the Caledonia on its way from Scotland, and her dad placed Barbara in the care of William until she could be delivered safetly to her uncle in New York. I also have a book that lists Immigrant Ancestors to America before 1750 and it lists that William only married Barbara Hume.
I know one of William's sons - William - did marry a Mary Ann Pancoast, tho.

MrsHogg2B (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2002 5:08PM GMT
Surnames: Hogg / Hog / Hoge etc.
How do we explain the James b. 1680 listed as William's son?

Any clue?

Laurel

Debby Lantz (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2002 3:54PM GMT
Laurel,
I am not sure I know how to reply to that question. I haven't seen the info that you possess that states such. What record contains the info that James was the son of William that married Barbara Hume? I have been searching for the Caledonia's ship register, but have been unsuccessful to date.

MrsHogg2B (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2002 4:01PM GMT
Surnames: Hogg / Hoge etc..
Debby,
I believe I got the info from the LDS website. I have no documentation. I haven't been able to find the Caledonia's register either, but I don't believe James came over with them, as three of his sons (Capt. Peter, Thomas, and James) came to America from Scotland in 1745.

Posted: 16 Jan 2002 11:40AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jan 2002 11:37AM GMT
I have just reread chapters one and two of the book, "The Family of Hoge," by James Hoge Tyler, and Edited and Published by James Fulton Hoge, and I find nothing that would indicate, imply, or suggest that William Hoge that was born in 1660 in Scotland and came to America in 1682, on he ship Caladonia, was every married before he married Barbara Hume.

<BMIT>,

MrsHogg2B (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2002 12:01PM GMT
Surnames: Hogg / Hoge / Hog etc..
Thank you Lester. Your post specifically leads me to lean now more towards that fact that William was indeed not married prior to Barbara. That leaves me with the question now as to who James Hoge b. 1680 is. This James is the father of Walter, Peter, James and Thomas. Does the book indicate this James? Any ideas? A brother to William perhaps?

Laurel

Debby Lantz (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2002 3:11PM GMT
Surnames: Hoge, Hume
I found the following information in "Immigrant Ancestors - A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America before 1750"

John Hoag (1642-43 to 1728) son of Richard, married ante 1637 Joan (maiden name unknown). He was a Quaker. Came from England or Wales to America with his father's family about 1650 to Boston. The family returned to England. He alone remaining; settled at Newberry, Mass; a judge in the Salem witchcraft trials and dissented from the other judges by opposing the persecution; married again 1669 to the daughter of John Emery.

This tells me there was more than one family of Hoge/Hoag/Hogg that came to America. Even though my two lines of Hoge's came from the same progenator (William and Barbara) one side of the family continues to spell HOGE and another HOGUE. Just makes our work more interesting.

Debby Lantz (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2002 3:14PM GMT
Clarification to my last post. Richard married Joan somewhere ante 1637, not John, and these were the parents of this John.

Posted: 16 Jan 2002 3:42PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jan 2002 11:37AM GMT
Laurel

The book has 19 James Hoge listed and none of them meet the time frame of 1680. The closest that I can get to 1680 is, 1706, James the son of William and Barbara Hoge. Right now I'm fresh out of ideas. I have the same problem in one of my Smith Lines as we are having here in this Hoge line.

<BMIT>
per page

Find a board about a specific topic