Search for content in message boards

Creek tribes in Dale County, Alabama?

Creek tribes in Dale County, Alabama?

Angela (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2005 7:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to get information about which specific tribe my Creek ancestors were from. I had hoped that a listing of Upper Creek/Lower Creek chiefs would identify the tribe, but his name was not included as the census list didn't go back far enough. I have documetation for later descendants thru census/deeds/etc., that confirm Dale County Alabama as their home in the mid 1800's. Any suggestions on how I can find out more specific information?

Re: Creek tribes in Dale County, Alabama?

Elizabeth Perry (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2005 11:04PM GMT
There is a Creek Tribe in Coffee County, Alabama. Many people who live in Dale are members of that tribe. The tribes name is Ma Chis Lower Creek Indian Tribe of Alabama. James Wright is their Chief. You can contact him at 334-449-0607

Patricia Ann Hinson Mordes (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2005 1:24AM GMT
The Choctawhatchee Creek Indian Nation, originated near Westville, Fla, which is near Dale Co. We are now active
from Grand Ridge, Florida. Chief Red Eagle has been the chief
since he was seventeen years old. He is now eighty two.
Please contact if we can be of assistance.

Patricia

Posted: 26 May 2005 3:04PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2005 1:39PM GMT
The Poarch Indian Tribe is at Atmore, Alabama.
I don't know how to contact them ....maybe a Google search ???

Re: Poarch Creeks

Posted: 26 May 2005 3:14PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2005 1:39PM GMT
A Google search turned up this about the Poarch Tribe :
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/dbreez9913/Secondwebpage1.html
I hope it helps .

alex (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jun 2005 2:26PM GMT
Classification: Census
where did u find the census

Deborah McConico (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jul 2005 7:39AM GMT
Did you ever know of any Alabama Creek people with the last name Sullivan?

Ann McLean (View posts)
Posted: 18 Apr 2006 3:52AM GMT
If you type in Muskogee 1832 Census East you should get the typed copies and if you click the image # above the page you get the original handwritten copy. They are listed by town so you can learn what town you are looking for. if you can't find it contact me at my email--annmclean1@charter.net Ann

Posted: 24 Feb 2009 1:32AM GMT
Surnames: Burdick, Padgett, Smelley
yes my G-grandmother was Mahala Anne Padgett, she was married to Martin W. Burdick. My G-grandmother was born in Holmes Co. FL

Dale County, Alabama - Carters

Posted: 4 Apr 2009 5:42PM GMT
I'm looking for Mary Carter, b:Dale Co., Alabama (in about the 1830's - I think). D:29 Jan 1894 in Voca, Texas. She married in Dale Co., Alabama - John Nelson Andrews, b: 11 May 1834 in Dale Co., Alabama. John's gg-grandfather, Thomas Andrews, was an Indian trader on the east coast and lived and moved with the Creeks. It is possible that his wife, Martha, was Creek. It is known that several Andrews decendants married Creek women. John's father, Thomas B. Andrews, married Zilpha Bartlett (Sefaya), known to be Creek. Her brother was Napachi Hadjo (Thomas Bartlett).

We've been told down the family stories that Mary was Creek or Cherokee. We think that since the family was so found of the Creek people, that Mary also was Creek. (Some have suggested Lumbee.) We believe that Mary's family, the Carters, came west at the same time as the Andrews and Bartlett's, possibly from the same area in the East, possibly with them as friends. Mary had a sister named Julieanna, and her grandson stated that they were Indian.

Also, in this same group,is Sinai Atkinson, b: abt 1803 NC, d: Dale Co., Alabama. She married John J. Andrews (John Nelson's father)b: 1805 SC d: Dale Co., Alabama. We can't find anything on her. We only have a family story that says she was at least 1/2 Indian, Creek or Cherokee (we believe Creek). John & Sinai's daughter, Joanna Matilda Andrews, had jet black, long hair, and was a small woman, but fearless! Until my generation, the family members had jet black hair, high cheek bones, and dark skin. I have very dark hair (not black), high cheek bones, and dark skin.

Mary Carter is my gg-grandmother.

Would anyone have any info on the Carters or Andrews and their wives?

Angie Ong
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions