Search for content in message boards

1800s families in Fünfkirchen, Austria (Sekol, Zousnig, Matinscheck)

1800s families in Fünfkirchen, Austria (Sekol, Zousnig, Matinscheck)

Posted: 23 Mar 2012 5:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sekol Zousnig Matinscheck
Seeking info on families from Fünfkirchen ("Five Churches") region in Austria, during the 1800s. My great-great-grandfather was Wilhelm F Sekol (it may have originally been spelled Szekol), and he emigrated with his wife Frances Zousnig from Fünfkirchen to Scranton, PA in 1883. Wilhelm's parents were "possibly" Ignatz Szekol and Helene Matinscheck. Frances' father was Sebastian, who lived with them in Scranton. I have not been able to find much info or records from this region of Austria. The borders changed several times, and depending on the year the town would have been in Austria, Hungary, or Germany.

Re: 1800s families in Fünfkirchen, Austria (Sekol, Zousnig, Matinscheck)

Posted: 24 Mar 2012 5:09PM GMT
Fünfkirchen is the German name of the Hungarian city of Pécs. Pécs is among the five largest cities of Hungary. It is not a region. It was part of Hungary for as long as Hungary exists. Pécs is likely the place where your ancestors lived when they emigrated to the US.

Ellisislandrecords.org shows six arrivals of Sekols with residences in Scranton, PA, all US citizens. Of these, Wiliam F. Sekol, age 57, arrived on Feb. 26, 1923 with wife Ida, 38 and daughters Ida, 15 and Frances, 10. Another family member, Helen, 22, followed in September 1923. They all lived at 1011 Wine Street in Scranton, PA. Already arrived in Feb. 1922, had the couple Severin, 33, and Erma, 32, Sekol.

The time and place of William's naturalization is mentioned in the record. With these data, you should be able to find their nationalization records with, hopefully, data on their origin in Hungary and the earlier spelling of the surname.

Posted: 24 Mar 2012 7:33PM GMT
Thanks for the info on Pécs. William et al are all indeed family.

Are naturalization records searchable online (on Ancestry or elsewhere?), or is that something I would have to specifically order a copy of from the government's National Archives (similar to ordering a photocopy of an original Social Security application)? Sounds like these will be extremely helpful for tracing roots!

Thanks again,
- Josh

Posted: 11 Apr 2014 3:40AM GMT
Dear sir/madam:I am also trying to trace my grandfather John Piller who was born in Funfkirchen,Austria and migrated to Scranton,Pennsylvania in the late 1800's but with little success. I did cross reference Ellis Island immigration records and found numerous Johann Piller but I couldn't pin down my grandfathers date of arrival etc. Have you had any further success and if so let me no! Kind regards, Dennis Piller

Posted: 11 Apr 2014 1:22PM GMT

Posted: 12 Apr 2014 7:38PM GMT
You might have more success searching Hungary. Fuenfkirchen is not in Austria - it is in Hungary: Pecs
per page

Find a board about a specific topic