Search for content in message boards

Origin of the surname Wooten?

Origin of the surname Wooten?

Posted: 18 Mar 2006 11:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wooten
Hello. Does anyone know what the origin is of the surname Wooten. Could it be native american? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
GiGi

Re: Origin of the surname Wooten?

Posted: 19 Mar 2006 2:34AM GMT
Surnames: Kelly, Harrison, Wooten, Hollis, Spencer, Shelby, Stone, Tyson, Martin, Pridgen.....
Hi, GiGi!

My research indicates that the surname of Wooten is not Native American, but English. Perhaps someone else can share a different origin, but everything that I've seen points to a European origin. Hope this helps!

Angi

Posted: 19 Mar 2006 2:42AM GMT
Surnames: Kelly, Harrison, Wooten, Hollis, Spencer, Shelby, Stone, Tyson, Martin, Pridgen.....
I saw your other post, so let me clarify....

There are several Wooten lines that have Indian ancestry, but the origin of the name itself for many lines began in England. There is a Castle Wooten (although the spelling might be the original spelling.) and a town by that name in England. Until I saw your other post, I did not realize that you were referring to Indian heritage in specific Wooten lines. Sorry about the confusion!

Posted: 19 Mar 2006 8:53PM GMT
Hi.
Thank you so much for the information. Do you have a Wooten line that may have Native American in it. I think the person I am helping said Cherokee.

Sincerely,
GiGi

Posted: 19 Mar 2006 8:55PM GMT
Surnames: Wooten, Kelly
Hi again Angela,
I also noticed your last name Kelly. Are you researching that name as well? That is one of my family surnames. Just thought I would check with you.

Sincerely,
GiGi

Posted: 20 Mar 2006 9:15PM GMT
see new posting at board
Nelda

Posted: 20 Mar 2006 9:16PM GMT
see new posting at board
Nelda

Frank R Wooten (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2006 8:32PM GMT
Surnames: WOOTTEN,PERRY,KENNEMORE,BENTELY,BRAY,BEARDEN,WOODRUFF
Hello: According to my oral family history my gggrandfather was full blooded Cherokee. The origen is English and has Anglo/Saxon origen. You can find Woottens with different spellings that are from main land Europe. As most colonized people in the world it was thought to be a christian you were baptized and giving or chose a christian name. Many Native Americans did just that and there is a list on most common names adopted by native americans. Sorry but I can't remember what publication it was in now. Myself I am a Wooten of African,Indian,Caucasion Heritage. I did register the Wooten name on a Geneology DNA web sight and for $99 anyone can get a Y chromasom test on the fathers side and 250 a complete test.yahoo DNA nuby group.Dnalist.net

Posted: 22 Mar 2006 12:53PM GMT
Hello Frank,
What you have told me is fascinating to say the least. I am helping a young man in my husband's office with his family genealogy. His father has said that there is Cherokee in their Wooten/Stringer line. The only logical explanation to me, was that a Cherokee had married into either line. But, with what you are telling me about taking the Wooten surname could also show how it was in the line, yes? Do you think there are many Wooten out there who can claim Cherokee? You are the second person I have come across, and since there seem to be few, I was hoping to tie this young man's Wooten to one of these lines. What do you think?

Thank you!
GiGi

Posted: 5 Jul 2006 9:10PM GMT
Surnames: Wooten/Davis
I am just reading your post about the Native American story pertaing to the Wootens. There is a story in my family as well, about a Native American woman marrying a Wooten. She is said to have taken the Anglicized names of Sarah Anne Elizabeth_____, & married a man named Wooten, but we cannot find out who he was or any information on them. I have a photo of a woman, very severly dressed in the style of the late 1800's/early 1900's, and on the back it reads: "Mrs. Lissie Wooten, New Berry, S.C. , Grandmother". It is my grandmother's handwriting, so I assume it is her grandmother, the above-mentioned Sarah Anne Elizabeth. My gandmother was Mabel Barbara Azalee Wooten, b. 12-10-1900, d.11-5-1966; her father was Benjamin Glenn Wooten & he was married to Sally Davis Carter, but we can find no other information on any of them. But I do find it interesting that I am finally seeing some mention of the Native American connection. We may be working on the same line, along with Frank R. Wooten. Please reply when you read this, so we can compare notes!

Lee Anne Vandermeer
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions