Search for content in message boards

Hendicks Families from NC

Hendicks Families from NC

Posted: 3 Dec 2002 9:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Nov 2003 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: Hendricks
Hello to all the Hendricks out there. I am trying to find my GG Grandfather's family. He was William J. Hendricks who was married to a Roberts. W.J. b. abt. 1833 to 1840 possibly in AR, lived in Bosque Co., TX and he and Ms. Roberts had about 4 to 5 children. One being my Great Grandfather, Frank Hendricks. I have a census showing that both W.J.'s parents were born in NC. I am just having a time connecting him to Hendricks in NC. Can anyone help? I have his wife's history from a Roberts site. But, the question of why was she born in AR too when all her siblings wer born in another state is confusing. Anyway, I also have a family story that some of these Hendricks were Indian. Would like to find out if this is true or not. I think I may have found some land patents on W.J. in AR, but just can't be sure if this is him or not. It may be that his parents left NC and went to live in AR and that is where W.J. and Ms Roberts were married or met, but they show all their children being born in Bosque Co., TX..

Any time you have to help, is GREATLY appreciated.

SN in SC

Re: Hendicks Families from NC

Patty Mulnix (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2003 3:42PM GMT
Can you give me a little more info? Approximate age, children's names, neighbors? I have quite abit on the Frontier Hendricks and may be able to help. Patty

Posted: 7 Jan 2003 4:06PM GMT
Edited: 22 Nov 2003 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: Hendricks
I wish I could, but at the present I only have that William J. Hendricks parents are from NC based on an 1880 census in TX. Going by his age, I would assume his parents may have birthdates close to 1800 to 1810 in NC. I pulled up some land patents with the name William Hendricks in AR on them. Some were in Hempstead Co. and the others in Seveir Co., both filed in town of Washington. Anyway, if this is him in AR, maybe his parents lived close by those areas in AR after leaving NC. But, as far as NC, I do not know one thing to date. Wish I did. I am going to try and find out AGAIN where William J. Hendricks (WJ) is buried. No one knows at this point. That may help with their names at least. But, living in Bosque Co., TX for all those years, he must have either left for another state, or his grave location is unmarked or unknown. At present, even his death date is unknown on all records I have seen. So, this is a mine field of opportunities for someone who enjoys a challenge!

Thanks for checking with me. I appreciate any time you may have.

Sabrina in SC

Posted: 9 Sep 2003 2:14AM GMT
Patty, Your reply said you have quite a bit of information on the frontier Hendricks. My ggg-grandmother was Rachel Hendrick b. abt 1791 in SC. She married Thomas Younger (b. abt 1791 in NC) in Wilkes Co., Ga,. Feb 11, 1811. By 1820 they had migrated to Maury Co. TN where she died abt 1825. I am trying to connect Rachel to her parents. It appears she might had come from the Hendricks family who was in Rowan Co., NC in the mid to late 1700s, migrated to South Carolina and then to Wilkes Co., GA. by early 1800s. Thomas and Rachel Hendrick Younger are in the 1820 Maury Co., TN census as are John Hendricks and Isaac Hendricks. I appreciate any help. Carolyne

Judy C (View posts)
Posted: 9 Sep 2003 10:19PM GMT
Surnames: Hendrick
I am looking for information on Jesse Hendrick, GA, married Sarah Hopkins NC. 1850 Census, Pontitac Co. MA (This is now Lee Co.) near Guntown. Jesse had a sister named May or Mary that married Archibald Willis (1870 Census MS)? Jesse's father may have been John Henry Hendrick. Trying to find out where they came from. Who are the parents of John Henry Hendrick?. I have some information but have not been able to put it all together. I have a John Henry Hendrick b. July 31, 1846, Francis Elizabeth Hendrick, b. Mar. 22, or 29, 1847 or 1849, William Thomas Hendrick b. Oct. 25, 1861, Issac Jesse Hendrick b. April 7, 1870. John Edwin Hendrick, b. Feb, 1873. James Bolin Hendrick b. Nov. 21, 1875 (my Grandfather) married Dora C. Lindsey, 1899. I have several more I am trying to figure out how I am related. Any help would be appreciated. Judy

Posted: 11 Sep 2003 4:59PM GMT
Carolyn,
I have a Rachel, b. 1784-1790, to Daniel Hendricks and Margaret, brothers James, Abraham, John, Daniel Jr. Her father died in Rowan Co. I believe the family stayed there.
I have another Rachel, b. ca 1798, daughter of Daniel's brother, John Hendricks and Frances Welty, brothers James, William. Abraham, Henry and Daniel.
How about another Rachel, s/o James Hendricks Sr., born in Orange Co, now Person Co, NC and Sarah Anderson, no Isaac brother. This family moved to Russell Co, VA without a stop in Georgia.
I have lots of Isaac's but none with a sister Rachel. Could you give me a little more information? What are the children's names in the order they were born. Might be a clue there to her father. Patty

Carolyne (View posts)
Posted: 16 Sep 2003 11:43PM GMT
Patty, Thank you for your responce. The know children of Thomas & Rachel Hendrick Younger were James b. abt. 1811, Rebecca b. abt. 1818, David B. b. abt 1820. Per the 1820 Maury Co., TN. census, there were also sons born abt. 1813 & 1815. Facts: Thomas & Rachel Hendricks Younger were married Feb 12, 1811 in Wilkes Co., GA. Hendricks on Wilkes Co., GA. tax digest 1809-1811, Benjamin, Kitty, Gustavus & 2 Johns. Hendrick in Maury Co., TN 1820 census. John on the same page as Thomas Younger. Isaac, Thomas and a second John in another township. I suspect her father might have been John Hendrick but of course I have no proof. Carolyne

Posted: 17 Sep 2003 4:56PM GMT
Carolyne,
I have some info, but still no Rachel:
Gustavus Hendrick m. Mary, John is the only child I have information on.
1. John, b. 1758, d. 1816 in Warren Co, KY, John had a contract to mine salt from Monmouth Cave. I don't know where his second wife was, but apparently his children had moved over to Jefferson Co, AL. His children: Gustavus, b. 1793, John b. 1802, Obediah, Jerusha, Sallie, Lucy, Fannie, Polly.
Rachel could very well be a child of John. A brief genealogy I found on this family said that the family came from Holland to New Amsterdam then to Ulster Co. Could be. I think they are related to the Flemish Hendrick family in Virginia. Patty

Posted: 29 Oct 2003 12:13AM GMT
Patty,
Thank you so much for your help. I have been away, thus the delay in responding to your message. While traveling, I had the opportunity to do research at the library in Fort Wayne, Indiana where I found several books of Wilkes Co., GA. deeds and other records. As you will remember My ggg-grandparents Thomas & Rachel Hendrick Younger were married in Wilkes Co., GA in 1811. From my research, I have drawn the same conclusion as you concerning the possibility that John Hendrick, son of Gustavus Hendrick could be the father of my Rachel Hendrick. Gustavus died in Wilkes Co., GA. in 1791 with John Hendrick being his Excr. John Hendrick purchased property in 1795. John & Lucy Hendrick sold property to David Ellington in 1799. Thus far my research has not taken me past 1812 but they are well documented in Wilkes Co., GA. from 1791 through David Ellington naming John Hendrick in his 1812 will. I am not sure this is the John Hendrick who went to Warren Co., KY. John Hendricks abound in Warren Co., KY. long before 1812.
I found Gustavus Hendrick in Charlotte Co., VA. in 1782 and in Anson Co., North Carolina in 1790. I also found a Benjamin Hendricks in the Wilkes Co., GA. research w/wife Judith. He died in 1790, the recordings name all his children. After looking very close at this family I don't believe Rachel belonged to them. Carolyne

Posted: 26 Jun 2004 5:17PM GMT
Actually, Gustavus Hendrick Sr. (no "s") never set foot in Georgia. He lived in Lunenburg and Charlotte counties, Virginia from roughly 1772 through his death. He died in Charlotte County, Virginia leaving a will dated 27 April 1786 and proved two months later on 3 July 1786 (Charlotte County Will Book 1, p383) which named a wife Mary and seven children.

Among the executors were his wife Mary, eldest son John Hendrick, and John Eubank, husband of his eldest daughter Sarah. John Hendrick was later guardian to four of the younger children: Benjamin, Obediah, Gustavus and Elizabeth. (Charlotte County Court Orders 8, p55 and etc.)

John Hendrick was not tihable through 1774, thus apparently born after 1758. He appears as head of a household of four whites and four blacks in the 1782 Charlotte County census, and is in the 1787 tax list. He is mentioned fairly frequently in the records of both Charlotte County and adjoining Lunenburg County. David Ellington, his father-in-law, also lived in both Charlotte and Lunenburg County, serving as a Baptist minister there. David Ellington gave a power of attorney to John Hendrick in 1791 “being about to remove [to] Georgia” (Lunenburg County Deed Book 16, p233)

Both John Hendrick and his younger brother Gustavus migrated to WIlkes County, Georgia. His other two brothers, Benjamin and Obediah, went to Barren and Warren counties, Kentucky.

The Gustavus Hendrick who was in Anson County, NC was John Hendrick's first cousin, the son of Gustavus Hendrick's brother Benjamin. He was barely of age, if at all, when he appeared in the 1790 census and died leaving a will in Anson County in 1810 naimg seven children, all minors.

You might be interested in the biography of Gustavus Hendrick, the son of John Hendrick's son Gustavus published in "Memorial of Alabama" (Brant & Fuller, 1893), pp838-40.

I believe this will reconcile one of the mysteries. He writes that his grandfather John Hendrick was a Virginian who "about 1795 removed to Georgia, and afterward to Kentucky, where he died at the age of 52." He further writes that his father, Gustavus Hendrick, was born in Virginia in 1793 and taken to Georgia by his parents at the age of 2, represented Jones County in the state legislature, then later was a state senator from Butts County.

Clearly, John Hendrick (and his brother Gustavus) were the same persons in Jones County by 1811. The statements by his grandson imply that he died in Kentucky while on some temporary enterprise, which explains why his estate would be administered in Jones County, Georgia.

I would greatly appreciate a copy of the citations you found in Jones County. In return, I can give you a fair number of records on this particular Hendrick family in Virginia and elsewhere. You can contact me at rwbaird@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions