Search for content in message boards

Adoption Records From Early 1900's?

Adoption Records From Early 1900's?

Posted: 2 Sep 2010 11:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Evans, Cope
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could aid me in finding early 20th century adoption records, if there are indeed records remaining. My great-grandmother appears first in the 1920 Census Records as Hettie E. Evans, born approximately in 1913. She lived in the home of Calvin & Hettie Cope. At that time she is listed as a "Lodger" in the home. By the 1930 Census she appears as Hettie Cope & is listed as "Daughter". Is there any way to retrieve earlier information on her? Her place of birth or even her birth mother?
Thank you!

Re: Adoption Records From Early 1900's?

Posted: 3 Sep 2010 4:21AM GMT
Is this in Pennsylvania?

Joan, board admin
Pennsylvania Adoption board

Posted: 22 Mar 2011 1:34AM GMT
I too am searching for Adoption Records from Pennsylvania. My grandfathers name was Truman Gaffney born November 1894. At the age of 5 he lived with Peter and Mary Heller and was listed as a boarder on the Cenus, then on the 1910 Miracode it was showing he was their adopted son.

Posted: 15 May 2011 3:23PM GMT
Surnames: MOUCK, THOMAS, MILLER
Joan,

Is there a PA-specific adoption message board on here? I cannot seem to locate one. I am looking for a Henry Mouck b. ~1887 that was adopted by David T Thomas and Mary Armenia Miller Thomas.

Thanks.
CCK

Posted: 16 May 2011 4:45AM GMT
This IS the Pennsylvania Adoption Board...my response to the original posted was due to the fact that the state wasn't mentioned in the message even though the post was placed on this board. Always include the location when posting. Thanks!

Joan, admin
Pennsylvania Adoption message board

Posted: 30 Nov 2011 2:53AM GMT
Hi Joan--
I have a great grandmother who is American Indian who appears to have been possibly adopted by her "family" the Kennetts in Allegheny Co. PA around 1901-10 and I do not have any early info on her but a few stories. I have pictures though taken in the 1920s. She is in the 1910 census with her "family", the Kennetts (Wm Lewis and Alma Dresslar). It is possible she came through the urr or since the Kennett men worked the steamboats, maybe through there somehow. I think this may have been going on in the family previous because her aunt Inez does not resemble the rest of the family either and I lack birth certs for many family members.

Can you give me any advice on how to start with this kind of thing? I don't even have a name, a last name, or anything to go on but through the Kennetts. Are guardianship records the same as adoption? Maybe she is from another branch of the Kennett family? The Kennetts were Quaker and Alma Dressler came from a family of German immigrants.

Thanks for any help.

Posted: 1 Dec 2011 3:31AM GMT
I would not discard family stories but I also wouldn't assume that they are 100% accurate without some sort of evidence to support this. Since you have located the family on the census -- what does the census indicate? Does it say she is adopted -- what relationship is listed?

Guardianship papers are not the same as a formal adoption. There may or may not have been a formal adoption in early years. Sometimes children were just placed with a family. If you have guardianship papers...what do they say? There may be a custodial guardian (usually female) and a financial guardian (male).

Pennsylvania doesn't have statewide birth records prior to 1906 although some cities kept records earlier.

If you want to establish proof of the Native American heritage you may want to start with DNA testing.

Joan

Re: Adoption Records From Early 1900's? adopted by Boyle married a Murphy

Posted: 18 Mar 2012 4:46PM GMT
Edited: 19 Mar 2012 2:32AM GMT
Surnames: Boyle, Murphy
Hi Joan,
My Grandmother was a survior of the 1889 Johnstown flood.I have her adopted Surname (Boyle) but was hoping to find the record of when the adoption occured.
Are there any records that would be of assistance?
Thanks,
Diane

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 3:42AM GMT
Hi,

I've always heard my great grandma, Ruth G. Deitz, was adopted by the Deitz's. They lived in Pittsburgh. I can't really find much information on her until she marries my great grandpa Joseph Swall.

What can I do to learn more about my great grandma and if she was adopted?

Many thanks in advance!
Marybeth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions