Search for content in message boards

Hembree, Pettit, Willhite surnames

Hembree, Pettit, Willhite surnames

Betty Matheney (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hembree, Pettit, Willhite
My Hembree's came to Roane County from Spartanburg, South Carolina. James Hembree b 1729 Spartanburg, SC d bef 1810 m Sarah Bird b 1828 daughter of John Byrd and Margaret Dean. Their son Joel Bird Hembree b 1755, Spartenburg, SC d 16 Feb 1825 Roane County,Tn; m Hannah Pettit abt 1786 in Spartanburg, SC. She was b in NJ d 11 Oct 1839 Roane County, Tn. Her Father was Joshua Pettit and her Mother Rachel, last name unk. Their son Joel Bird Hembree b 26 Nov 1804 in Roane County, Tn d 11 Apr 1860 in Whittenburg, Greene, Mo m Sarah "Sally" Willhite b 20 Mar 1809 in Tn, probably Roane County d aft 1880 in Mo; Father John Willhite/Wilhoit b abt 1783 m Letta "Lettie",an Indian maiden, b abt 1785 in Tennessee. Family records state that she lived in the hills in Roane County, Tn. John and Lettie had several children: Mary "Polly" (wife of) Col Joel Hembree (family records record he was a cousin to Joel Bird), Sarah wife of Joel Bird Hembree, Benjamin Franklin, Albert, unk if there were others. Interested in exchanging information.

HEMBREE SURNAME

Susan Collins-Berger (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: HEMBREE, RETHERFORD OR RUTHERFORD, COLLINS, SCOTT, WALLACE
Betty:

My family tree includes a Hembree by marriage. I am giving you all the information I have at this time to show you the link by marriage to the Retherford family. Sarah Belle Hashbargers' first husband was a Hembree; he died, and she married into the Retherford family. I suspect that the Joel Bird Hembree is related to Sarah's first husband,William. I hope this additional information sheds some light for you. I found a couple of other ladies on the internet who are my distant related "cousins" also. Maybe they will help you also.

If you have additional information, let me know.

The info from the 1850 Roane County Census that you wanted is:

Family 1300
Alexander R. RETHERFORD, age 30, b. TN 1820
Alexander R. Retherford died at age 46 on 28 Mar 1865. Buried in Nashville.
(Alex married Sarah Shields Nov 26, 1841 in Roane Co.

Alexander R. Rutherford born 1820 in TN and Sarah Shields - born 1822. (Alex married Sarah Shields Nov 26, 1841 in Roane Co. Alexander Retherford died at age 46 on 28 Mar 1865. Buried in Nashville.
[Parents of William Alex Rutherford]. children: Rebecca, William A., Nancy, Mary.
Sarah (Shields), age 25, b. TN (1825) Sarah Shields - born 1822.
Rebecca, age 8, b. TN 1842
William, age 6, b. TN 1844

William A. Retherford born Feb 15, 1842 - TN - died Oct 9, 1914 - Rockwood - buried in the Cardiff Cemetery. [father of Lenice Retherford]

William Alex Retherford married Sarah Ellis May 13, 1865 in Roane County. Sarah died Mar 1888. their children:

Malinda E.,

John,

Robert

William and Belle both married twice.

{Sarah Bell Hashbarger married L.T. Hembree - 1st marriage. He died. 2 children Dovie and William Hembree}
Dovie Hembree was the second wife of George W. Mallicote. George was born
January 1862. They married October 13, 1900 in Roane County. George and the
above Thomas Malicoat were brothers despite the different spellings of their
last name.
Harriet J. Rutherford m. Thomas Malicoat b. abt. 1857 Roane County, TN. They
were married March 18, 1878 in Roane County, TN
Thus, Dovie was at least a sister-in-law to Harriet Rutherford.
Possibly they were related in other ways, but have not been able to make the
connection as of yet. Also, I don't know if Dovie was her name or a nickname.

Ellen Almyra Rutherford b. March 16, 1833 Sevier County, TN married Jesse Marion
Atchley abt. 1856 in Sevier County, TN

Wm Alexander Rutherford is 70 years old in the 1910 Rockwood Census. Belle is 40. He and Sarah Belle Hasbarger Hembree [Sarah Bell born Jan 10, 1869 - Redcloud on the TN River near Rhea County, TN. She died Dec 26, 1939 in Rockwood - buried in the Cardiff Cemetery.] married August 18, 1892 in Roane Co.; so the children listed with them in the 1910 census are their children.:

1900 Rockwood
Wm Rutherford 57 (brickyard worker),

Belle 38 (married 7 years - 7 ch born - 4 living),

Dovie Hembree 14 (step dau),

Wm Hembree 12 (stepson),
Bertha Rutherford 6,

Myrtle Rutherford 2.

In the 1910 Rockwood
Wm Alexander Rutherford 70,

Belle 40 (12 children born - 8 living),
Myrtle 12,

Roscoe P. 8,

Hescoe E. 8 (twins),

Hesco E. Retherford m/ Emma M. ? 6 children:
Paul E.
Gladys O'Brien
Helen Edwards
Doris Bryant
Marilyn Dickerson m/ Charles Dickerson
Norma Taylor

Lenice 5,

Reba 6 months Reba Stone [Oakdale, Tn]

In the 1920 Rockwood - Popular St.

Joe Kirkland 26, Joe Kirkland is Myrtle's husband. No children apparently

Myrtle (Rutherford) Kirtland 21,

Belle Rutherford (widow) 51,
Roscoe 18,

Lenice 15, Lenice (Lynnis) Amelia Rutherford born Feb 14, 1906 or 1905 in Rockwood, TN - died Jan 6, 1940 at age 33 in Harriman, TN. Buried in Willard Park Cemetery in Harriman. Maxwell Funeral Home Records give casket $150, clothing $20, Hearse $15 - Total $186. W.C. Jr. paid $10 and "bankrupt"

Reba 11.

Sarah Bell Hashbarger Hembree married William A. Rutherford Aug 18, 1892 - Roane Co. Sarah Bell born Jan 10, 1869 - Redcloud on the TN River near Rhea County TN. She died Dec 26, 1939 in Rockwood - buried in the Cardiff Cemetery.

Sam Hashbarger b. TN and Elizabeth Sharp. They married March 30, 1856 in Knox Co., TN [Parents of Sarah Belle]

Nancy, age 3, b. TN 1847
Mary, age 1, b. TN 1849

Family 1302
Edward RETHERFORD, age 60, b. VA 1790
Polly, age 53, b. TN 1797Phillip, age 21, b. TN 1829
James, age 14, b. TN 1836
Francis M. (male), age 12, b. TN 1828
Jasper S., age 7, b. TN 1847
Newton B., age 7, b. TN 1847
Milly HARBISON(?), age 75, b. VA 1775

Family 1295

William P. RETHERFORD, age 25, b. TN 1825
Martha, age 19, b. TN 1831
Wm. L., age 5/12, b. TN
Patience COX, age 30, b. TN 1820

I don't have access to the death certificate that you're interested in.

Robert L. Bailey Roane County, Tennessee Historian http://www.roanetnheritage.com/

Re: Hembree, Pettit, Willhite surnames

GD Barnes (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2001 4:20PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Pettit, Hembree, Barnes
Your Joshua Pettit is the father of my Joshua Pettit who married Judah Poole. Joshua and Judah had a bunch of kids who are enumerated in his will. One of them is Rachel (Pettit)
Hembree. Rachel had a child in 1826 named Mary Hembree.
Mary married a James Barnes in 1846 in Ripley Co. Missouri.
James and Mary are my gggrandparents. They had 2 children James and Amanda Barnes b. 1848 and 1852 resp. James Jr. Married Sarah Smith in 1866 and had 2 kids Thomas and Mary. Thomas Married Lucretia Johnson (an educated woman) and had 2 kids , Claude and Paul, b. 1904 1nd 1906 resp. Paul married Marjorie Smith and had 2 kids Barbara, and Gerald, b. 1931 and 1932 resp. I have the Pettit line back to 1557 if you would like to have it e-mail me. Don't leave massage on this board. I am interested in finding Rachel's husband, Ephraim, who was born in NC according to the 1900 census for Mary Hembree Barnes who was 73 at the time.

Douglas Petitt (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2001 6:30PM GMT
Is there a chance that your Pettit lineage includes a Jonas or Nehemiah. They were both in Greene Co., along with Benjamin, in the 1790's. They may all be brothers. I found a Nehemiah Pettit in southwestern Penn. in the 1770's. He had a land grant in Tn. as a member of the Continental Line. I have not been able to find much about Jonas (mygggrand-father). He m. second wife Eliz. Lamon in 1801 and died in Roane Co. 1837. He named Nehemiah b.1788, Daniel b.1789, Geo. H. b.1792 and John b.? in his will. My surnames, so far,are Catching, Dean,Courtney. Thanks for any help, Doug

Re: HEMBREE SURNAME

Susan collins (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 2002 1:09AM GMT
been trying to reach you....rutherford ...murray...i need info on a collins out of virginia who was in the vietnam war...a roger collins...also the children of hescoe and emma murray...there was 16 children and i have a question on the marilyn dickerson...where did she marry dickerson and, or, when..thanks kindmind1@aol.com.....thanks again Betty

Posted: 7 May 2004 1:17AM GMT
Hi Doug,
I hope this makes it to you. My 4th greatgrandfather was Jonas Pettit, married to Elizabeth Lamon. I
Do you have Mary Ann Polly Pettit married to David w Jones?
My g grandmother was Martha Ann J. Daughter of David W Jones. Are we on the same page?
Katrina
new email addy bkssoulmate @ yahoo.com

tina moss (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2005 6:17PM GMT
Surnames: pettit
Doug in regard to your message of August 2001. I have tried to email yout with message coming back.
I am interested in Nehemiah Pettit born about 1760 and Jonas Pettit. Do you have new address. Please contact me.
tina Moss

Posted: 13 Aug 2005 1:54AM GMT
Surnames: Pettit, Hembree
I am descended from Rachel Pettit and Ephraim Hembree. I would love to share information. Thanks.

Posted: 12 Oct 2005 2:04AM GMT
Surnames: hembree
Hi, I am racheals great great granddaughter and I was wondering if you knew if she was native american, I am trying to trace any native blood in my family, If you could help me in any way I would really appreciate it thanks so much, Daphne

Posted: 16 Oct 2005 3:40PM GMT
Surnames: hembree, pettit
I am descended through Rachel and Ephraim's daughter Lucinda. I would love to correspond directly.
My e-mail is cblakley@mcmsys.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions