Search for content in message boards

Help translating an address in Graz, Austria

Help translating an address in Graz, Austria

Posted: 18 Jun 2012 5:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ranner
I am looking for help reading/translating information in a border crossing document, which I have attached.

This record is for my grandfather Anton Joseph Ranner, who was called Joseph, or Dutch. He died in 1939 when my father was 8, and my dad had always said he was born in Austria. However, I recently found documents in my grandmother's writing saying he was born in Germany. The address on this document is the only tangible link we have to his history.

He is in the top row- in column 11, where it asks for "the name and complete address of nearest relative or friend in country whence alien came" appear the words "FATHER JOHAN RANNER Aust" and on the next row down, where the address is continued, the most I can make out is:
" ____ Joseph ___ (Par?)___(Auf?)___ (Hosiner ?) STRASSE 274, ____ (Gas???) GRATZ"

I would appreciate is someone familiar with Graz would help make sense of the address. A friend of mine speaks German but could only identify it as an address, not the specific words I'm missing.

Thank you!
Beth
Attachments:

Re: Help translating an address in Graz, Austria

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 4:02AM GMT
Unfortunately, I can only help in narrowing down the address. When you look at the word before Gratz, i.e., the word you transcribed as Gas????, it is "Gösting" which is the 13th district of Graz. Arnold Schwarzenegger grew up in Gösting. Well, perhaps just a little bit outside Gösting and the city borders of Graz.

Gösting was also my home for a few years. Still, I cannot read the street name or interpret it. The name seems to start with a number or initials followed by Josef, while the end of the name could be -steiner. This must be a long road as the house number 274 is rarely reached in towns or cities of Austria.

Perhaps the name of the street was changed after WW 2.

Austria (including Graz) was part of Germany (Hitler's 3rd Reich) from 1938 till 1945.

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 2:10PM GMT
Beth,

my results are similar to what Fritz found out:

I read that line as:

Starting maybe with "St. Joseph ..."?
I also see ".... (St)einerStrasse" or it could be even "...ainerStrasse"

The list of roadnames in Graz only has
- Franz-Steiner-Gasse (not Gösting, I guess)
- Schreinerstraße

Like fritzkoe already said: "Perhaps the name of the street was changed after WW 2"

Tilman

Posted: 20 Jun 2012 2:47PM GMT
This is the meil for archive in Graz until 1928

werner.strahalm@stadt.graz.at

Posted: 21 Jun 2012 8:46PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jun 2012 9:04PM GMT

Posted: 23 Jun 2012 4:20AM GMT
According to Dr. Strahalm of the City Archive of Graz, the address of Johann Ranner on Beth's attachment is Wienerstrasse 274.

When one looks at the entry, it is evident that there is additional address info before Wienerstrasse, namely, "St.,""Josephxxx" and "Au," maybe meanng St. Josephs Au. Au means the forest surrounding a river bed, and there are Auen of the Mur river in Gösting. There is an Augasse and a Fischeraustrasse. Anyway, the street address Wienerstrasse 274 is precise enough for Beth to find out where Johann Ranner lived.

The online phone directory of Graz at http://www.herold.at/en/telefonbuch/ lists about 15-20 Ranners, some of them academics. Perhaps Beth could send all of them a letter about her search.

Regards, Fritz

Posted: 9 Aug 2012 4:59AM GMT
I can't thank you enough for all of your help. As someone mentioned (I believe) I did contact Dr. Strahalm, who helped verify the address.

Since the family was Catholic, I looked up the Catholic churches which were in Graz in 1910 and tried comparing those with the address Dr. Strahalm gave me. The closest I could get was St. Joseph's Catholic church, which is on the East side of the River Mur and Wienerstrasse runs along the west side of the river.

Which prompted me to write the Catholic Diocese in Graz and ask if they had any information on the family they would be willing to share. They wrote back quite quickly that they had no record of a Johan(n) or Anton(e) Joseph Ranner in their church records. The person who contacted me further suggested that had Anton(e) Joseph been born in Graz there would have been birth records for him, and that led him to believe they had moved to Graz from another city.

I have waded through all of the addresses in the online listing of Ranners living in Graz as suggested in this forum (Thank you!!) and compiled a list of people potentially related to me to whom I will send letters. It took me much longer to write the letter in both English and German, not to mention the apology I included for my poor German. =) The envelopes are addressed and the letter printed out in both languages folded and tucked inside... and as I typed this out just now it occurred to me that it might perhaps be wise to include a drawing of the family tree as I understand it to be.

I very much appreciate all of your help, thoughts and comments. I was at a stand still before posting here.
-Beth

Posted: 9 Aug 2012 8:24AM GMT
Edited: 9 Aug 2012 8:37AM GMT
the closest church to the adress Wienerstr.274 (if today still same) i see on map is Kalvarienberg not st.Josef!
http://www.kath-kirche-graz.org/pfarren-seelsorgestellen/kal...
Wienerstr.274 Graz and Kalvarienberg-church: http://maps.google.at/maps?hl=de&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r...

St.Josef: http://maps.google.at/maps?hl=de&q=graz+pfarre+st.josef&...
no idea if the archive looked through all churches....

parish-churches/Pfarren Graz: http://maps.google.at/maps?hl=de&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r...

Posted: 3 Sep 2012 7:58PM GMT
I believe the street is Weinnerstrasse, district Gosting in Graz.

Good luck with your search
Bea

Posted: 4 Sep 2012 9:56AM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2012 9:59AM GMT
fritzkoe has this cleared up > Posted: 23 Jun 2012 6:20AM

"According to Dr. Strahalm of the City Archive of Graz, the address of Johann Ranner on Beth's attachment is Wienerstrasse 274."

and it´s not "Weinner" a non existing name. it comes about WIEN = VIENNA >>> Wienerstrasse
http://maps.google.at/maps?hl=de&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions