Search for content in message boards

Glengarry birth records

Glengarry birth records

Michael McDonald (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2004 2:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
My great-grandfather George D. McDonald was born in Kenyon, Glengarry County c. 1860. We are sure he was Roman Catholic. Are there any records in Glengarry that we might be able to look up to determine his actual birth date and names of his parents? We will be in the area in September.

Re: Glengarry birth records

James Allan McDonald (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 2004 9:31PM GMT
There is a George M(a)cDonald born on the May 10, 1861 on Lot 17, 2nd Concession of Kenyon. This George was baptized at St. Finnan's on May 26, 1861. This George's father was recorded as Donald M(a)cDonald and his mother as Catherine M(a)cTavish. This George's sponsors were recorded as John McDonald and Mrs. Hugh McDonald. James J. Chisholm was the priest.

Posted: 13 Jul 2004 9:48PM GMT
I found the following census record on http://www.familysearch.org. This is the Donald M(a)cDonald(ell) and Catherine M(a)cTavish family I mentioned in the earlier post:

Household Record 1881 Canadian Census

Search results | Download Previous Household Next Household
Household:

Name Marital Status Gender Ethnic Origin Age Birthplace Occupation Religion
Donald MCDONELL M Male Scottish 49 O <Ontario> Farmer Roman Catholic
Catherine MCDONELL M Female Scottish 41 O <Ontario> Roman Catholic
George MCDONELL Male Scottish 19 O <Ontario> Farmer Son Roman Catholic
Ranald MCDONELL Male Scottish 17 O <Ontario> Farmer Son Roman Catholic
John MCDONELL Male Scottish 15 O <Ontario> Farmer Son Roman Catholic
Hugh MCDONELL Male Scottish 13 O <Ontario> Roman Catholic
Mary MCDONELL Female Scottish 10 O <Ontario> Going To School Roman Catholic
Duncan MCDONELL Male Scottish 7 O <Ontario> Going To School Roman Catholic
William MCDONELL Male Scottish 5 O <Ontario> Going To School Roman Catholic
Catherine MCDONELL W Female Scottish 84 O <Ontario> Roman Catholic
Flora MCDONELL Female Scottish 70 O <Ontario> Roman Catholic
Finly MCDONELL Male Scottish 40 O <Ontario> Roman Catholic

Source Information:
Census Place Kenyon, Glengarry, Ontario
Family History Library Film 1375862
NA Film Number C-13226
District 99
Sub-district C
Division 1
Page Number 28
Household Number 1

Donald and Catherine were married at St. Finnan's on July 29, 1860. Donald's parents were Hugh M(a)cDonell and Catherine Kennedy of Lot 17, 2nd Concession of Kenyon, Catherine's parents were Ranald M(a)cTavish and Mary M(a)cPhee of the 3rd Concession Kenyon. Present at the marriage were Paul Campbell and Alexander McDonell. James J. Chisholm was the priest.

David (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2004 7:20PM GMT
Hi.
I have the church records of ST Alexander's Parish in Lochiel Baptisms burials and marriages Book 1 and 2 from 1863 to 1932 and a CD of Glengarrry marriages.
Can I look anything up for you.
David.

Posted: 15 Jul 2004 4:19PM GMT
Surnames: Carter, Pratt
Hi David, saw your offer re marriages in Glengarry Co. and wondered if I could inpose on you to search the CD, assuming it works that way, for records of my grandfather and his "first wife", assuming that they were married. I do know there are 7 children by Thomas Carter and I can find records of two with Mary Pratt. He married my grandmother Maud Adeline (Lesslie) Carter in 1898 and my father John was born from that union in 1902. The 1901 census shows his first child as being born in 1880, my uncle Bill (William), and his last, before my grandmother came into the scene, in 1895. They were in Bainsville for most of that period. I would appreciate any help you may be able to provide. Many thanks, Keith

David (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2004 6:51PM GMT
Hi.
So far the only two carter listed on the CD are Thomas son of Thomas and Mary Pratt.He married Helen Frances Burke of Michael and Sarah Poskett at Glen Nevis 26-11-1910.
The other one was Marcel Carter son of William Carter and Eugenie Labelle married at St Finnan's 08-07 1940 to Agnes Huot.
David

Posted: 15 Jul 2004 10:15PM GMT
David, thank you very much for the response. I did have the reference to Thomas and Mary from the book "Strays" by Duncan MacDonald. I can verify that one. The other one you reference I have no Idea at all. Thomas Carter's Father was William but he did not have any children named Marcel. Thank you so very much for looking. I am at that brick wall with my ancestors in eastern Ontario but I have been there before with my mother's side in the Eastern Townships in QC and have made the breakthrough so I guess in this business one just keeps looking. Again, many thanks. Keith.

David (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2004 11:08PM GMT
Hi.
I was planning to go to Alexandria and surroundings to do research but It will have to be postponed until late August as I am getting visitors until then.
I found another reference listed as for Grenville On for a Thomas Cornelius Carter age 30 widower Blacksmith son of H Carter and Abie O 'Neil He married Victoria Mae Thurston 26 widow of Canton NY March 31 1910 at Prescott On.
I have been researching mostly Quesnel, Strasbourg Bellefeuille and Massia but I will check if there are listings for Carters for Bainsville when I go to the archives in Montreal.
Will let you know.
David.

Posted: 16 Jul 2004 1:27AM GMT
It seems your Thomas married to Helen (Nellie) Burke at St. Margaret of Scotland (Glen Nevis) was a convert to Catholicism, as there is a "profession of faith" and baptism record for Thomas the adult son of Thomas Carter and Mary Pratt at St. Margaret on November 24, 1910. It notes that he was born June 22, 1886. He was likely christened in a protestant church. You mentioned Bainsville... there were three Protestant churches in Bainsville active in 1886... First Church (Presbyterian) from 1833 to 1886, Second Church (Presbyterian/United) from 1886 to after 1978 and Free Church (Presbyterian) from 1854 to 1898. You might find your Carter family at one of these congregations?

Posted: 16 Jul 2004 2:27PM GMT
Surnames: Carter Pratt
Again, thank you David. My grandfather Thomas was born 1859/60 in Dundee QC. The Thomas marriage we were looking at was his youngest son. I can only confirm two of his children with Mary Pratt and according to the 1901 census and family documents there were seven. I intend to visit Lancaster/Bainsville this summer as I do have the cemetery information on my ggrandfether William Carter and his wife Harriet and I would like to confirm and photograph. I live in Jasper ON just south of Smiths Falls and it's less than a two hour drive. If you do find anything in Montreal, I would really apreciate the information. Again thanks, Keith.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions