Search for content in message boards

Colonel William Martin

Colonel William Martin

Steven Denney (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Martin
Searching for any and all information concerning Colonel William Martin 1765-1846. Son of General Joseph Martin, young William fought in the Indian Wars in East Tennessee during the later stages of the Revolution, and helped Richard Henderson settle the Powell's Valley area. Martin was then appointed Captain of a Company of Rangers protecting the crews building the North Carolina Military Trace. In 1791 he moved to the Tugalo River area of South Carolina and was elected the the South Carolina Legislature. Returning to Tennessee in 1798 he settled in Dixon Springs and was soon elected to the Tennessee Legislature. He served as a presidential elector in 1804 and 1808. During the War of 1812 he commanded a regiment in the first part of the actions against the Creek Indians. He ran afoul of General Jackson and they were bitter enemies from thence onward. Jackson actually campaigned for Martin's opponent in the legislative election of 1817. In 1828 he was forced to publish a pamphlet defending his record during the War of 1812. He later became one of the leading supporters of the Whig Party in Tennessee and attended the first National convention conducted by this party. I am interested in any information concerning this remarkable man no matter how insignificant.

Marin and Brooks

Steven Denney (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Martin, Brooks
I would love to get a copy of this. William Martin of Smith County is a particular interest of mine. Have you seen the letter that he wrote after the death of his wife, and the obituary letter that William Lucas wrote to Lyman Draper after Colonel Martin's death. I can send you copies of these. I am also interested in Dr. Brooks. Did he apprentice to Dr. Yandell or was he later. What about Brook's agriculture experimentation with silk worms. Can you provide any info on him? If so I would appreciate it.

William Martin

Shirley Cothron (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Martin, Brooks
Do you have the information from "Tn Bible Records & Marriage Bonds"? Record is from the Bible presented to Mr.&Mrs. Wilson Y. Martin of Smith Co, Tn and has Marriage, Births, and Deaths listed for many of the Martins including William Martin & Franky Ferriss. I found this in my research for Dr. Henry Brooks m. Betsey Martin. If you don't have this I will be glad to send you a copy.
Shirley

Martin - Brooks Connection

Posted: 31 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 Aug 2001 8:43PM GMT
Surnames: Martin, Brooks, McCall, Armstrong, Tunstall, Kirby, Kerby
I am also from the Martin/Brooks line in Smith Co. Dr. Henry Brooks and Elizabeth Martin had a daughter, Sarah "Sally", who married Dr. Joseph McCall. This is my line and I have some info to share - Also location of some graves.

Re: William Martin - Brooks connection

Judith French (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2001 8:04PM GMT
Surnames: Armstrong, Brooks, McCall, Martin, Tunstall, Kerby/Kirby
I may have written you before, but I wanted to touch base in case you have info on Henry Brooks and Elizabeth Martin Brooks. I have some on them, but need tons more. I am descended from Sarah Brooks who married Joseph McCall.
I will share anything I have. Also I get to Smith Co. fairly often so I will try to do a look-up or two if you need it.
Thanks,
Judy

Re: Martin and Brooks

Judy Cummins French (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2001 8:08PM GMT
Surnames: Armstrong, Brooks, McCall, Martin, Tunstall, Kerby/Kirby
If I have contacted you before, please consider this a request for an update. I would love to have copies of the letter Wm. wrote after the death of Frankey and the obit from William Lucas. This man is my 3rd generation great-grandfather and I love him dearly. I visit his grave whenever I am in Smith Co. - about 2 or 3 times a year.
I will share what ever I have.
Thanks,
Judy

Shirley Cothron (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2001 1:34AM GMT
Have you seen the Brooks in the History of Smith Co. That is the main information I have on Dr. Henry Brooks & Elizabeth Martin. The line that is in that book is my husbands line so that was great. I do have a good bit of information (mostly from other researchers) on William Martin. I don't know is anyone has ever been able to locate Henry's parents in Va. I have tried but no luck in our library here in Ga. I get to Lafayette (Macon Co) about twice a year and have had good luck in the library in Lafayette but have not been to the library in Carthage. Will be glad to share what I have if it will help.
Shirley

Judith M. French (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2001 2:09AM GMT
Shirley,
I have a Smith County History book that was given to me by Rev. R. D. Brooks several years ago. I would love to find his research on the Brooks line, but I haven't been able to do so. I hope to be in Smith Co. before the snows come and will let you know if I find anything.
Side note! One of my uncles, Thomas McCall, married a Mary Cothran/Cothron in the late 1930's or early 1940's in Maury Co. Tn. Any connection thru that line. It is of course not a direct line for me just of interest.
I would love to have anything you want to share. I have tons on the line and visit the Martin Cemetery everytime I go to Smith Co. email me @ jandjfrench@earthlink.net.

Jean Larson (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2003 3:51PM GMT
I would love to correspond with people working on Brooks and Martin. I have worked on Joseph Martin and have some on William. What kind of date do you have for Henry Brooks? I have one in Va. 1780's.

Judy French (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2003 4:40PM GMT
Below is what I have on my Henry Brooks. I have tons on the Martin line including wills, photos and copies of portraits. I am DAR on Gen. Joe. Let me know if you want anything. The Smith County History doesn't have much on Henry.

HENRY BROOKS was born August 1784 in Bedford Co, Va, and died August 1853 in Dixon Springs, Smith Co., TN. He married (1) ELIZABETH MARTIN June 28, 1811 in Smith Co., TN, daughter of WILLIAM MARTIN and FRANCES FARRIS. She was born August 13, 1794 in SC, and died September 12, 1834 in Dixon Springs, Smith Co., TN. He married (2) BRUNETTE JONES November 04, 1835 in Smith Co, TN. She was born Abt. 1810 in TN.

Notes for HENRY BROOKS:

There are many notes by DMM: Charles Dyrus Brooks, Bro of Sara Brooks; bro., Thomas W.; Eviline E. was J. W. Donahue; Frannie; John W. Head. Also the names of J. M. Pendleton, Baptist, P .O. BOX 175 CARTHAGE, 37103; Dixon Springs; Rome; Wm Sanders; Lyman C. Draper.

Info from R. B. Brooks to DMM - educated at Transylvania University, Lexington, KY., was a surgeon in War of 1812 with Col. Steven Copeland's Reg't in Huntsville, Ala. and discharged there, practiced in Smith Co, TN. His home was owned by Dr. Sam Young Garrett in the 1970'S. The 1850 census of Smith Co., shows a "Henry C. Jones, age 3" living with Henry and his second wife. Lucy and Pamelia (Unclear writing, best guess) were twins (both listed as 10 years old). Henry listed himself as a farmer, born in VA., and farm valued at $2500. Burnett (?) was listed as born in TN. Also shown living with them was Caroline Brooks, 18.

History of Smith Co., TN. Henry lived with Dr. Wilson Yandell of Goose Creek, and he studied medicine with this famous "MILK FEVER" doctor. This is perhaps the means of Henry meeting Elizabeth, his wife. Henry is said to have been the first resident doctor in Pleasant Shade .

Let me hear from you. Judy
jandjfrench@earthlink.net

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions