Search for content in message boards

Fortunatus A. Dozier, b. 1815 KY > TX

Fortunatus A. Dozier, b. 1815 KY > TX

Linda Dozier Nelson (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2000 4:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am stuck on my gggrandfather, Fortunatus A. Dozier. Born in Kentucky abt 1815. Became a physician and moved to Texas by 1847. Help!

Re: Fortunatus Dozier

Jim Parks (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2000 8:54PM GMT
Surnames: Foster
My grandmother Million's grandfather was named Fortunatus Dozier. I'd have to search for the exact dates, but he was born in Madison County, Kentucky, between 1830 and 1840. He died about 1870. He married Caroline Foster, who raised my grandmother. She died in 1916. The children of Fortunatus and Caroline were Bert, John, Robert E. Lee, Sara and Ann. Ann died shortly after my grandmother's birth. That's why "Grannie Dozier" raised her. I have a shaker style chair that my Fortunatus ancestor made. While Fortunatus lived in Madison County, Kentucky, I think the Doziers originated from Estill County, Kentucky. I don't whether this will be helpful to you at all or not, but I was intrigued by the name -- Fortunatus -- and the Kentucky connection.

Re: Fortunatus A. Dozier -- in TX

melody (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2000 9:50PM GMT
Classification: Census
Don't know if this will help, but there is a Fortunatus A. Dozier in Houston County in the 1850 Texas Census. Also, a F.A. Dozier listed in the Polk County, Texas, 1846 Republic of Texas Roll lists.

Posted: 17 May 2000 1:55PM GMT
Thanks, Jim Parks for the info on your Fortunatus Dozier....surely with that name and the Kentucky link there must be a connection. You don't know the father of your F Dozier, do you? I will look in Madison Co. and Estill Co. records to try and locate my F Dozier. Your shaker chair made by yours must surely be special. Thanks for your response. Linda

Re: Fortunatus A. Dozier -- in TX

Posted: 17 May 2000 2:00PM GMT
Thanks, Melody for your response. That info that you have in the census is about the only info that I have on my gggrandfather, other than a couple of land deeds in Houston Co. in 1852. He must of died shortly thereafter...have searched the county for his death...records or grave...found his wife who remarried and died in Houston Co.

Re: Fortunatus Dozier -- in KY

Posted: 22 Jul 2000 7:44AM GMT
Edited: 1 Feb 2003 6:15AM GMT
There was a large Dozier family in Estill Co., KY in the early 1800s. Some of the names in this family were Bradford, Fortunatus, Ephraim, Ibzan O., and Joseph. I believe all of the above may have been brothers as Bradford was married in 1855, Ephriam in 1853, Ibzan in 1865 and Joseph in 1845. These marriages were all recorded in Estill Co., KY. In fact, Fortunatus witnessed the marriage of Bradford.

Hope some of the above is useful.

Posted: 9 Dec 2000 4:32PM GMT
Edited: 11 Feb 2002 12:25AM GMT
My husbands family are connected to the dozier family that you were talking about my father in law was named for his i really don't know exactly how far back great grand father his name is Fortunatus Dozier I don't think there are too many of them in this world if you could contact me i would appreciate it.

Re: Fortunatas Dozier

Jim Parks (View posts)
Posted: 26 Dec 2000 7:49PM GMT
What I know is that Grandmother Million was raised by her Grandmother Caroline Foster Dozier, the widow of Fortunatas Dozier in the 1890s and early 1900s at Stringtown, KY. Caroline and Fortunatus had these children. Bert, John, Robert E. Lee, Sarah and George Anne. George Anne married George Christopher, and they had three daughters: Allie, Cordia, and my Grandmother George Anne. Grannie's mother died soon after Grannie was born. Her father died when she was about 5. Neither Uncle Bert nor Uncle John, both of whom lived in the Valley View/Miller/Stringtown vicinity all their lives, was ever married, although one of them had a child out of wedlock. John was a storekeeper and Bert a mason (or vice versa). Robert E. Lee (Uncle Bob to me) was a construction worker and foreman for the Louisville Nashville Railroad (built bridges -- I have photos). Uncle Bob got marred late in life and had no children. Aunt Sarah married John Hill, and they moved to Indianapolis. They had a son Warren Hill, who is still living in or near Indianapolis, Indiana. I have a little chair (Shaker style) that was supposed to have been made by Fortunatas, who died in the 1860s or 70s. He used the traditional chair making method -- no nails, no glue. The vertical pieces were green wood and the horizonal pieces were cured wood. Maple in this case. When the green wood cured, it naturally dried up around the cured horizontal pieces and made a very secure joint. It had a hickory bottom which wore out long ago, but I had it restored about 10 years ago. I also have the flyer for Caroline's estate sale Dec.27, 1916, and an inventory of everything sold. Uncle Bob wrote it all down in one of his railroad books. I got it because Uncle Bob came to live with Granny Million (his niece) the last few years of his life (He died 1950) and Granny got his things. His things included the pipe that Caroline smoked, some photographs of her (she's holding the pipe in one of them). I also have a shuttle for her loom and two coverlets she made on her loom. My grandmother remembered helping her card wool from the sheep they raised. Grannie Dozier would then spin the wool on her spinning wheel and use the thread to make blankets and other things. Grannie's sisters, Allie and Cordie, lived with their Grandmother Christopher in Richmond, KY., after their mother died. They both graduated high school (normal school) -- quite a feat for young country women in the early 1900s. Both became teachers in one-room country schools -- until they got married. Grannie finished 8th grade at Miller School -- I have some of her textbooks. Fortunatas had brothers or cousins in Estill County, which is just east of Madison County (Richmond). Some of them are buried in a church cemetery in Estill County near the Madison County line.
Family oral history claimed that the Dozier's were French and came to America with Lafayette to fight in the American Revolution. Then got land grants. I haven't been able to substantiate that. While Dozier sounds French, I've been on the internet looking up phone numbers and there are Doziers in both France and England.

I would like to know how the Doziers (my Doziers)got to Kentucky -- some were in Kentucky in the 1790s -- but I'm not sure they're my Doziers, and how they got from Europe to America before they got to Kentucky. I pretty well know that my Parks ancestors came from England to Massachusetts in the 1600s, were in western New Jersey in the early 1700s, moved to Piedmont North Carolina (Yadkin River Valley) in the mid-1700s and then migrated to Kentucky in 1795 or 1796. I also pretty well know that my Million ancestors came from England to Virginia in the early 1700s and then to Kentucky sometime between 1780 and 1790. One of my Newby ancestors may have been at Boonesboro with Boone. But I don't know anything about the Dozier's before about 1850. And I don't know of anybody doing research on them.

Let's keep communicating.

Caroline Dozier in 1880 census -- Widow of Fortunatus Dozier

Posted: 23 May 2001 9:54AM GMT
Classification: Census
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 11:25AM GMT
Here is the listing for the family you mentioned in the 1880 census for Madison Co. The 1st number is their age in 1880. The 2nd is their approximate year of birth(1880 minus their age). The last is their relationship to the head of the household. Caroline is the HOH here and she was listed as a widow.
Caroline Dozier 42 1838 (widow)
Albert Dozier 19 1861 son
Sarah E. Dozier 17 1863 daughter
Georgia Dozier 15 1865 daughter
Robert Dozier 13 1867 son
John R. Dozier 7 1873 son

I hope this helps you out.

Posted: 24 Dec 2001 4:47AM GMT
Fortunatus and Bradford were brothers, sons of Richard Dozier (Leonard, James Ingo, Leonard, etc.). Ibsan was a son of Sidney, a brother of Leonard. Bradford is buried in the cemetery of the Providence Baptist Church in Estill Co., along with his wife, Mary Jane Moore, and Uncle Yeatman (a son of Leonard).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions