Search for content in message boards

Guinan's of Grange, Offaly (7 Brothers)

Guinan's of Grange, Offaly (7 Brothers)

Posted: 1 Feb 2010 8:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 May 2011 5:29PM GMT
Surnames: Guinan,
I am researching my grandfather's family - James N Guinan. His father was Patrick. James was born in Grange (a farm community) in Offaly in 1894. He had 7 brothers (Frank, Tom,Kieran, Joe, William ...) I am forgetting all of the names. One became a priest. During the 1911 census James was living in Dublin with a cousin (also Guinan) and working as a grocery clerk. He eventually moved to Perth Amboy, NJ in the late 1920s.

If any of this sounds familiar to you, please write.

Thank you!

Re: Guinan's of Grange, Offaly (7 Brothers)

Posted: 1 Feb 2010 7:26PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2011 4:35PM GMT
Surnames: Guinan, Quinlan
Following up on James N. Guinan. His family had 8 boys and resided in the townland of Grange. His father was Patrick. His mother was Mary. Her maiden name was Quinlan. Recorded children of Patrick and Mary were as follows:

William – born about 1889/1890
Francis – born about 1890/1
Patrick – born about 1891/2
Kieran – born about 1892/3
James – known to be born 10th September 1894
Edward – born 1900
Thomas – born 1901/2 and
Joseph - born 1903/4

A 1911 census shows that James was living with a counsin (also Guinan) in Dublin and worked as a grocery clerk. He moved to the United States (New Jersey) in mid-late 1920s.

If any of this sounds familiar, please contact me!

Posted: 11 Jun 2010 2:39PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2011 4:36PM GMT
Surnames: Gainan,
i can help you with this what do you want to know? james nicholas guinan left ireland in approx.1928 he left his wife and two children behind,john and una,john(later to be known as shaun)had three children,he passed away 9 years ago.he regularly spoke of his numerous uncles and the grange.we have never been able to trace una.

Posted: 15 Jun 2010 11:26PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2011 4:44PM GMT
Surnames: Guinan, Mooney, Tierney, Mulrooney,
My name is Patrick Guinan. I grew up on the Guinan farm in Grange. My Father's name was also Patrick (the one mentioned in your post). He returned to the farm when none of his older brothers wanted it.
JAMES I never knew; I heard his name once when my Uncle Kieran mentioned him and told the same story that you do. I was in my early teens and, unfortunately, had little interest in the Family History.
THOMAS emmigrated to New York city and raised a family - I met his wife and a daughter once, in Ireland.
EDWARD also emmigrated to New York (last address Yonkers) married but had no children.
KIERAN was a policeman in Dublin, married to Nan Mooney of Clareen, two children Josephine (never married) and Patrick (now deceased, don't know of any family). They had a third child who was tragically killed by a bus . She was holding her father's hand at the time.
JOSEPH married Christine "Crissy" Tierney and lived in Clareen (about three miles from Grange), He had three children Patrick (now deceased) wife and children (number and sex unknown) they live in Birr: Kieran, lives in his father's house: Mary married Tim Mulrooney (I don't recall their address, but their son Aidan operates a store at Clareen). Mary is interested in family history and would love to hear from you.
WILLIAM I never knew
FRANCIS never married, lived, died and was buried in Birmingham, England.
PATRICK my father (I was his only child) sold the farm due to health and moved to Loughmore in Tipperary where he died. I emmigrated to the US in 1958, Married with eight children now scattered throughout the US. I am retired in western Washington. I have just begun to search for my ancestry. I would love to swap any information I can with you about the family

Posted: 16 Jun 2010 5:19PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2011 4:45PM GMT
Many thanks for your reply. I was doing some research for James Nicholas Guinans grand daughter, she has now posted a message herself and will no doubt be in contact with you. The Guinans are going to take a lot of sorting out but hopefully you should all be able to help each other.

Kind regards

Jo

Posted: 17 Jun 2010 5:02PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2011 4:47PM GMT
thank you patrick for your prompt posting, i am julie starr (nee guinan) grand-daughter of james nicholas guinan,of grange,co.offaly. you will have seen the message left by my friend jo. i was trying to trace una (oona? oonagh?)guinan's (my father shaun's - sister) family and have found you instead how amazing! i will collect all my information together in the next few days and give you all the details i have at this end, my brother, martin guinan is very interested in the family history so i will be in touch soon.

Posted: 20 Jun 2010 3:12PM GMT
Thought I'd try this out
M

Posted: 20 Jun 2010 3:38PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2011 4:49PM GMT
My name is Martin Guinan, son of (John)Shaun Guinan, grandson of James Nicholas Guinan of Grange. I visited Grange in the 90's and also met Crissy Guinan, In Clareen graveyard there is a family plot containing Patrick, his wife Mary, son Kieran, his wife Annie, their daughters Josephine and Maura(aged 7).I was very pleased to read the information and look forward to more.

Posted: 22 Jun 2010 9:48PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2011 4:50PM GMT
Pat it seems we may be family. James was my grandfather. He "re-married" in the U.S., but both he and his second wife died when my mother was very young. I was recently in Ireland for work and after researching the brother visited the farm. I met Kieran Guinan (Joe's son) in Clareen. He told me about the prior marriage. I have since researched that family. My mother was stunned. I would love to learn anything and everything that I can about our family. Please send me a private message.

Posted: 22 Jun 2010 9:51PM GMT
Edited: 21 May 2011 4:48PM GMT
Surnames: Guinan
Julie,

If my research is accurate your father and my mother are 1/2 siblings. James was my grandfather. He "re-married" in the U.S., but both he and his second wife died when my mother was very young. I was recently in Ireland for work and after researching the 7 brothers visited Grange. I met Kieran Guinan (Joe's son) in Clareen. He told me about the prior marriage. I have since researched and learned about your family. My mother was stunned, shocked etc. She is 72 and never knew her family. I would love to learn anything and everything that I can about this family. Please send me a private message.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions