Search for content in message boards

Correcting of info submitted to WFT

Correcting of info submitted to WFT

Posted: 12 Apr 2005 8:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Dec 2005 2:22AM GMT
In my early days of genealogy, I submitted my file to WFT and now realize there are some errors, additions and corrections that should be made. Please tell me how that can be done. Thanks

Re: Correcting of info submitted to WFT

Posted: 30 Mar 2006 5:21PM GMT
Basically just submit the corrected information the same way you did it originally, and it will eventually show up on a new CD. Unfortunately, there's no way to go back and change what has already been released, and your original file is likely to stay in there forever.

Retrieving original Gedcom file

Posted: 3 Jun 2007 3:57PM GMT
I submitted my file back in 2000 using version 8 of family tree maker. I just bought and loaded version 16 but I cannot find my original file (many new computers in between and a hard drive failure). How can I retrieve the file I originally submitted? I tried to make corrections and got an error that said the original file could not be opened. Any suggestions?

Re: Retrieving original Gedcom file

Posted: 3 Sep 2007 1:03AM GMT
I had my computer hit by lighting and i lost all my giles how do you retrive them??

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 9:54PM GMT
The original family files that were One World Tree are off line and they are looking at the problem. The problem is the Onew World Trees are locked at about 2003 for the last updates. The were ported from RootrWeb World Trees to Ancestry and added to One World Trees. Then they abandoned One World Trees so you can not update them even with errors that you want to correct. Then they started Ancestry World Trees. They are at Ancestry, but not connected to the Search the Web from Familty Tree Maker version 16 or other versions. You must leave the Ancestry search page click Ancestry World Trees on the right side and search that Data Base. It is not connected to the Search from Family Tree Maker directly, but the old One World Trees are, but as of 9-24-07 are off line and give a "open Failrd for PID.db" error. The real way to submit a family tree is to make a roots account for free and upload to them. PERIOD. Then it it shared with all the Generations Network web sites, some require paying to see, and some if you find the hidded page, are also free to see.
Ancestry has droped the ball and your old file is most likly going to disappear in the future from web searches using the paid subscriptions. Any questions send me a line.

Posted: 31 Aug 2008 6:40PM GMT
Restore from a backup. All files which are generated by a work should be backed up regularely.

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 2:37AM GMT
When you say "make a roots account and upload to them" I presume you are referring to rootsweb.com. Since this is now billed as "an ancestry.com community" does your advice still apply ? Are you suggesting posting to "World Family Tree"?
TIA

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 3:02PM GMT
Yes Rootsweb.com is the free location for genealogy files. Everything at Ancestry.com is pay to see except one listing that is hard to find. All the 5 or 6 Genealogy web sites are under The Generations Network. Rootsweb shared their uploads with Ancestry and in return Rootsweb got web space on the ancestry computers. As far as I know that is still the case, Rootsweb is hosted on Ancestry computers and all are under the umbrella of the Generations Network. Rootsweb.com is still free to view, upload and post GED files, and downloads if the submitter allows downloading. On Ancestry.com Ancestry World Trees are free to see and are the GED files ported from Rootsweb.com. Try to find them is tuff, so the easy way to see the same files is go to Rootsweb.com

Posted: 27 Oct 2008 3:15PM GMT
Just to add to my previous post. My original file loaded to Rootsweb.com is been available to correct and upload to since my first posting. My ported file to One World Tree at ancestry was locked down and recently upgrade are 5 years. No way to fix that fill except if ancestry ports a newer upload from Roots Web's World Connect family tree database. So if you want to be able to upload and correct you GED Roots is the location. The Ancestry public and private trees are WEB based and if you add to that file on line, its not in your personal database GED file on your computer. If you add images to a public tree then upload a corrected file, all the online web based editing of images is lost. Not a smart deal.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic