Search for content in message boards

Jefferson Davis family

Jefferson Davis family

Posted: 30 Jul 2010 11:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davis, Cook
My cousin called me today and said she had visited the home of Jefferson Davis in Mississippi and discovered that Davis' father was from Lincoln County, Georgia and that he served in the Revolutionary War, does anyone know anything about Samuel Davis (he married Jane Cook in SC)or Samuel's father Evan Davis who might have also lived in Lincoln County? I found a Samuel Davis who paid taxes in lincoln County in 1800, 1801 and 1802 but a biography of Jefferson Davis I found on the Internet stated that Samuel moved to KY about 1797???

Thanks.

Re: Jefferson Davis family

Posted: 27 Aug 2010 1:01PM GMT
There are several references to Sam'l Davis and Nancy his wife selling and buying property to in Lincoln County during 1804 - 1806. A Samuel David served on the Grand Jury April, 1809. This would seem to be a different Samuel. There were a number of Davis' in Lincoln County during this time. They certainly could have been related. Interesting.

Posted: 27 Aug 2010 5:46PM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Jeter, Hughes
Samuel S. Davis, 1775-1823, b. NC, husband of Nancy Hughes, s/o Augustine and Mary Jeter Davis of Wilkes co., came from a large family, many in Lincoln, Wilkes & Edgefield. Samuel Davis & Samuel David, in previous post, are likely the same person. Some of the details were lost when a court record book was lost [War of 1812, as I recall]. Samuel had brothers: Ransom and Augustine Jeter Davis; uncles: Fredrick, Gideon, Cheslie, Richard, Lewis Cookson, Joseph T., Wiley & Absolom Jr. His parents were Absolom b. abt 1735 VA and Keziah. Absolom sr., 4 sons & a son-inlaw were in Rev. War from SC. Samuel & Nancy Hughes Davis had children: Mary, Emily, Samuel, William, James, Alexander, Catherine, Jane Amanda, Caroline, Henry and Evaline. Samuel died 1823 & extended family went ot San Augustine, TX, by way of southern Arkansas & LA. The will of Absolom Sr. is below:

Will of Absolom Davis Senior
============
In name of God amen. I, Absolom Davis Senior of the County of Elbert and the State of Georgia being weak in the body but of sound mind & memory for which I thank God and calling to mind the uncertainty of human life and being desirous to dispose of all my worldly Estate as it hath pleased God to bless me with, I give and bequeath the same as follows:
1st. My wish and desire is that all my just debts be paid and after that my will is that my son Frederick Davis, my son Lewis Davis, my son Augustine, my son Richard, my son Gideon, my son Chrislen, my son Joseph T. Davis, my son Wiley Davis, my daughter Lucy Howard, my daughter Nancy Cunningham and my daughter Chiriah Wooldridge should each have one dollar. I give to my son Absolom Davis Jun One negro man named James, one negro named Ceasar, one named Juneyear, one negro man named Tom - one negro boy named Sam, one negro woman named Sylvia and her daughter Geriah - I give to my grand daughter Nancy Davis one feather bed and furniture - Side Saddle - one cow & calf and one sixth part of my hogs -- I likewise give to my son Absolom Davis Jun all my Cash, bonds and accounts - I likewise nominate my son Absolom Davis, Jun my sole Executor William Pulliam - I give to my son Absolom Davis Jun my two horses, cows and hogs except those that I have left to my grand daughter Nancy. Where unto I have set my hand and Seal this twelfth day of January in the year of our lord Eighteen hundred seven. his [mark]
Absolom Davis

Posted: 23 Apr 2011 1:59AM GMT
Samuel Davis had 10 children by his wife Jane. A long time ago, Sir Jonathan Davis, living in England, was given a land grant from the Crown. It was an immense amount of land in what is now Kentucky. He moved from England to America in 1695. Evan, Samuel's father, eventually inherited the land. Evan got religion and left the land to spread the gospel. Someone forged Evan's name on a bill of sale and the Davis's lost the land. After Evans death, Samuel spent a year fighting along with the legal system over the land. He couldn't get the land back, but he settled for a very large amount in gold. Samuel was very tight with money. He hid the gold and took only what was necessary to pay expenses. Samuel raised fine Arabian horses and would take them to Elizabethtown to auction them off by “sell of outcry”. There the 52 year old Samuel Davis met the 24 year old Nancy Lincoln. With Thomas Lincoln gone for many months looking for work, a romance between Nancy and Samuel developed. Janes 10th child was named Jefferson Davis. Nancy's 2nd child was named Abraham Lincoln.
Source: Jane R. Davis
per page

Find a board about a specific topic