Search for content in message boards

John James Lee and Lucy Braxton Goochland Virginia

John James Lee and Lucy Braxton Goochland Virginia

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 1:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lee, Braxton, Call, Clinton, Custis
I recently did a yDNA test at FamilyTreeDNA.com and had two exact matches. Both matches trace their families back to John Lee and Lucy Braxton of Virginia. Their lines go down through John's son Stephen.

My oldest known relative is George Call Lee b.1841 in Missouri to a John Lee who was born in Kentucky. All I know about George's mother was that she was from Maysville. I'm assuming Maysville Kentucky.

It looks like there are roughly three places that the various male children of John and Lucy ended up. They went to Tennessee, Illinois, and Kentucky?? I've started with Stephen's line as I know they ended up in Pulaski County Kentucky. The family seems to be well documented but I can't find a John Lee that fits.

Does anyone know of any other lines from John and Lucy Lee that ended up in Missouri? I have the middle names of Call, Clinton, and Custis does anyone know of any possible male Lee spouses with those family names,(though I think the name Custis was perhaps wishful thinking by my great-grandfather).

I know some of the Kentucky folks ended up in Missouri and then moved on to Texas. I believe one of my DNA cousins comes from that line, but I'm not finding any Johns or Georges.

Would anyone have any hints or suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

Re: John James Lee and Lucy Braxton Goochland Virginia

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 2:01AM GMT
Surnames: Lee, Phelps, Buchan
My Lee relative is Sophia Lee b. 27 Sep 1777 and married William Phelps - they lived in Pulaski Co., GA and their son William Jr. moved to Texas, Brazos Co., Burleson Co. -- any connection?

Posted: 30 Mar 2013 7:36PM GMT
I'm not seeing a Sophia Lee in the John Lee/Lucy Braxton(?) line. I see someone has an entry for a Sophia Lee born in North Carolina and married to William Phelps but there isn't a source cited. Also no mention of parents.

Posted: 21 Jul 2014 6:52PM GMT
Surnames: Bailey/England/Roe/Lee/Constable/Braxton/McIntire
John and Lucy had a daughter, Deborah Lee. Deborah married John Hodges and at some point they moved to Kentucky. Deborah and John had several children, one of which was Lucy (no doubt named for her Grandmother, Lucy Braxton Lee). Lucy married a David England and they had a daughter named Sarah who married a William Bailey. William and Sarah are my great-great-great-great grandparents. William and Sarah had a son, David Bailey who married Gehaza Roe. At least one of their sons, James W. Bailey married Alvira McIntire and moved from Bath, KY to Weatherford, Tx. (in the latter half of the 1800s). There are still some Baileys and McIntire's in that area. While researching this line it appears several families (probably related) also made the move at this time. I too have traced some lines to Missouri, but as I am working on direct descendancy I did not pursue this line. I will tell you I have traced the Lee line back to the 1100's, through Anne Constable who married Richard Lee. Good luck in your search and let me know if I can help you in any way.

Posted: 22 Jul 2014 12:44AM GMT
I too thought that the family came from Richard Lee and Ann Constable but my DNA results put me into the John James Lee of Goochland, VA group. This is a separate Lee line from Richard Lee. From what I understand it's still a mystery as to who's John James' father. The closet relationship beyond John James is to a Henry Lee of York County who came to America around 1630.

Here's a great website for this Lee family.

http://www.jacobhuntertrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/E...

I'm currently working on trying to connect the John James Lee family to my known Lee family in St. Louis. There are just so many Lee's coming and going through Kentucky that it gets a bit crazy.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions