Search for content in message boards

Richard & Margaret DOZIER of Texas or Oklahoma

Richard & Margaret DOZIER of Texas or Oklahoma

Posted: 4 May 2008 5:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DOZIER
Looking for any info on Richard and Margaret DOZIER. Daughter Dora was my g-grandma. Dora supposedly born 1884 in Oklahoma, other sources say Texas. Dates and locations especially needed, I'm drawing a blank on Census records. Can anyone assist?
Thanks
Meg

Re: Richard & Margaret DOZIER of Texas or Oklahoma

Posted: 4 May 2008 10:39PM GMT
Re: looing for Dora Dozier born circa 1884 to Richard and Margaret
i too am drawing blanks do you have her husbands name, siblings, Margaret's maiden name? where did she live after marriage to your g grandfather? what are her childrens names. I found a Dora Dosier married to a Richard in 1910 in Oklahoma but that is her married name not maiden. do you have any more resent info, when and where she died?
Gayla

Posted: 4 May 2008 10:47PM GMT
Surnames: DOZIER, DOSHER, DASHER, BANKSTON
I actually just got a hint from someone on genforum. they're in the 1880 census as DOSHER and 1900 as DASHER. Info gives Margaret's name as BANKSTON, her brother William was living with she and Richard. Richard was born about 1852 in Indian Territory, Arkansas and Margaret was born about 1862 in Texas. That's all I've got. Been searching all day and can't find either one of them before marriage....
Attachments:

Posted: 5 May 2008 5:39AM GMT
Hi Gayla! Help this poor woman? When I was trying to help her she wanted to fly-away to the East Coast in search of "blueblood"!

Posted: 5 May 2008 6:01AM GMT
LOL! And a lovely thought it would be, but the problems with all the airlines make me a bit leery. Should I be stranded, heaven forbid, Texas is a bit closer than Nantucket. Although Nantucket may be closer-sounding to the words I would be using with an airline that stranded me, ha ha. At least in Fort Worth, I have a net friend on which I could rely.

Seriously, getting Dora's death certificate and finding Richard and Margaret's names... It's something I've been looking for for years. This whole thing started with finding all my ancestral mothers. I must say, though, what were the chances that both sides of the family had such deep roots in Texas when I was born in Colorado and the families were so nomadic in my parent's generation?

Posted: 5 May 2008 11:40AM GMT
Fly Southwest Airlines and you can fall asleep with no worries! Frequent flier and know what I speak! Anyway, regarding Margaret Bankston. Start searching 1850 Red River County-Not Stated-Image 40. James Bankston age 50 and wife Vira(Vera) age 49 had 11 kids still home! Focus on son Micajah age 20. He married Sarah Jackson on 29 Aug 1852 in Red River. In 1860 Red River-Not Stated-Image 52 lived M. W. Bankston and wife Sarah with children Louisa, Houston, James, and Mose. Jump to 1870 Navarro County-Beat 5-Image 7. Widowed S. Bankston (Sarah) was head-of-household with children Sam, Jas, H., Dala, and Wm. Sam in this census was identified as Houston in 1860. Samuel H. Bankston and wife Alice can be found on later census. I am "stretching" at this point but there was only one female child, Dala, in the family. She was next to the baby, Wm, and I believe they are the same persons in the 1880 Brazos County census where Margaret was married to Richard P. Dozier? Lots of room for rebuttals but without supporting documents, this is my best "guesstimate". Linger long, but travel you must! May as well start planning at least a five-day trip to Texas for research? This cannot be possibly be done with online records as your sole source of information. Need to visit County Courthouses, graveyards, and elderly relatives before their minds become feeble or the expire!

Posted: 5 May 2008 1:05PM GMT
OK, given that I went to bed at midnight and got up at 5:30 to go to work...
1. Holy cow, how do you find all this? Totally amazing! And yeah, I think it will involve a trip either this fall or next spring around bonus time. :)
2. Get off the computer. HA HA It is sooooo addictive, isn't it?

The relatives are a problem, alas. On this side, a TON of what Grandma told everyone was, frankly, wrong. Heck, she even had an older sister that no one in the family knew about. And unfortunately as well, every generation past my uncles are all dead. My grandparents died when I was very little.

I will say, though, Everyone I've communicated with in Longview and Tyler and Fort Worth and the Clayton Genalogical Library have been nothing but wonderfully helpful. I've even had someone in city gov. in Tyler offer to see if the department my Great-grandpa worked for has any records. I cannot thank these people enough.
Meg

Posted: 5 May 2008 2:05PM GMT
Been there, done that! Way past 50 when I learned my father's name was not the same one he used when he and my mother married. Not the one he enlisted in the Army during WWII! Not the one he paid social security under! Some people never consider that "truth will eventually win out"! My maternal grandfather changed names so often that his ancestry began with him! I am a fairly decent researcher, but I cannot solve that "brickwall".

Posted: 5 May 2008 11:58PM GMT
Well it seems the two of you have accomplished quite a bit in one night. if there is anything i can do to help let me know.
Gayla

Posted: 6 May 2008 12:45AM GMT
Oh, and not to mention the way an immigration official may have heard the name, felt like spelling it, or just changed it totally! I've been pretty lucky so far that very few names have changed from there to here, and not by much.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions