Search for content in message boards

DP Camp (Displaced Persons camp) SALZBURG

DP Camp (Displaced Persons camp) SALZBURG

Posted: 2 Nov 2012 11:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wasserman, Wermut, Jarcajg, Jarcaig, Yarsike, Yarzig, Sweig
Anyone else have family that was born in a DP camp in Salzburg at the end of WWII? Would love to gather information. My mother was born in one of these camps, but she is not sure which one. My family lived there for several years before taking a boat to Canada in 1951. I have family members who died there as well before they were able to emigrate.

Many other family members also left to New York from Germany around 1951, so I am also interested in others whose family emigrated from there around this time.

Our family is from the Tomaszow Lubelski/Lublin area of Poland. Our surnames at the time were Wasserman, Jarcajg (Jarcaig/Yarsike/Yarzig/Sweig), and Wermut.

Re: DP Camp (Displaced Persons camp) SALZBURG

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 2:54PM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2012 2:58PM GMT
DP Hosp. (U.S. zone).
In the town of Salzburg were five DP camps:

Riedenburg (Machne Yehuda) on the "Neutorstrasse, Ecke Moosstrasse."
Camp Herzl (Franz-Josefs-Kaserne) between Schrannengasse and Paris-London-Strasse.
Camp Mülln 6 DP in Müllner Hauptstrasse 38.
Beth Bialik in the part of Salzburg, called Maxglan.
Beth Trumpeldor in the part of Salzburg, called Gnigl, and
New Palestine (called later Parsch) in the Wiesbauerstrasse 9 in Salzburg-Parsch (Parsch is also the part of Salzburg)

Other DP camps in the country (province) of Salzburg, outside the city of Salzburg were called:
Puch bei Hallein and
Lager GIVAT AVODA (in the Wallnerkaserne*) opened in summer 1946 in the small village called "Saalfelden" am Steinernen Meer.
*Kaserne means barracks
http://www.dpcamps.org/austriaS.html

Salzburg now has it's own page.;
http://www.dpcamps.org/salzburg.html

Re: DP Camp (Displaced Persons camp) SALZBURG

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 10:48AM GMT
Try the German/Austrian Red Cross - they have many records themselves as well as links to a lot of international records.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions