Search for content in message boards

Same Spouse Shown Twice

Same Spouse Shown Twice

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 3:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
When viewing a particular ancestor in the tree view it shows the same spouse 2 times, once to each side. When I view her profile it shows only the one spouse. Viewing all the people in the my tree there is only 1 entry for the particular person. Any thoughts why the tree view is showing the same person twice to the same wife? Thanks in advance.
Derry

Re: Same Spouse Shown Twice

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 5:20AM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2012 5:36AM GMT
Have you checked the full list of people in your tree to see if any duplicate persons are shown there? The profile page won't necessarily show duplicates. Your person (male) may have been connected twice to your person (female). Or, there could be duplicates of both persons. Recommend you review your full list of people to ensure there are no duplicate persons or double entries with slightly different spelling of names. It sometimes takes a bit of detailed detective work to locate the source of the discrepancy. Also, one of the persons may have an alternate connection through an earlier ancestor. If none can be found, you may then wish to bring this matter to the attention of the CSR at ACOM for help.

I could not locate your tree through your profile. It would help if you could share the names of the two individuals concerned and the name and location of your ACOM Member tree, if public; more assistance could then be provided. I sincerely hope that this issue can be resolved quickly before your tree increases much in size.

Someone else may see your board posting here and be able to offer more help. Good luck.

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 10:38PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. I did check the full list to make sure there were no duplicates and although there is 2 "Amelia Gubbins" they are different individuals.They were born nearly 30 years apart. And there are 2 "John Cowlings" but one is the father to the other.
I set the tree to public so hopefully you can find it now. The persons above are the ones in question. If you view the family tree of any of the children the problem will be exhibited.
Thanks again.
Derry
PS. My next step is to print out the view and try to follow the lines to see what maybe the cause. After that I will just delete both persons from my tree and recreate them from scratch.

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 10:53PM GMT
Not sure if this might be the cause, but: Click on "edit this person" for both Amelia and John and look at the relationship tab to make sure that John does not show up as a preferred spouse and also an alternative spouse for Amanda and then do the same with John. Also, check each of the children the same way to see if one or both of their parents are listed more than once from the same view (edit>relationships).

This does happen when their is a cousin marriage and it is not an error, although at first blush, that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Posted: 14 Aug 2012 1:17AM GMT
I discovered the same error with a person in one of my online trees just last night. Suddenly I found that I had this one person linked to the right spouse but also to a child as his spouse. I did the usual and checked to see if somehow I had entered the same person twice which was not the case. I then went to the edit and relationship tabs and discovered that this child was both a spouse and a child. When I severed the wrong link, things went back to normal. That is the best way to proceed after one has checked first to see whether a profile has been entered twice.

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 8:53PM GMT
I'm having the same issues. Can't figure it out to save my life. I have a husband and wife and they both are listed twice on each others facts. One relationship has all the children, the other relationship between the two have no children.

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 9:05PM GMT
Of course right after I posted this I figured it out.

Highlight the person. The "Tools" then "Detach". Then you can choose the "relationship" you want to "detach" from. I chose the one that had no children.

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 4:01PM GMT
Use the Edit function on the person to check to see if the person is connected twice. The new "improved" matching function that was introducef recently has created what look like mulitple people on marriages in my tree.
I thought they were duplicates and deleted one,then both were gone so I then had to add them back. After experimenting, I found that it is Ancestry.com's matching that is putting them in twice on the relationship screen, even though they are only really in the tree once.

Barbara

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 5:24PM GMT
I am trying this and getting nowhere. I look at each one and they both show that they are only married once. Any other ideas? This is maddening. It was fine last night and now doubles this morning.

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 5:30PM GMT
And I just figured it out. The first wife passed away and I had not entered marriage or death dates for her, so it made her spouse appear as two people and one of the daughters of the other spouse appear as two people (one from each wife).

Don't really know how I fixed it, but I just added an approximate date of death and approximate marriage dates and that seem to do it. FYI.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic