Search for content in message boards

Patrick Cleary Married Ellen Moran/Northern Ireland

Patrick Cleary Married Ellen Moran/Northern Ireland

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 6:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information about Patrick Cleary, b. 1830 and married Ellen Moran abt 1860. Immigrated to Lancashire UK around 1861, Sons Francis and John Patrick. Came to New York City abt 1888 after Ellen's death. Had brother James who probably did not come to US.

Re: Patrick Cleary Married Ellen Moran/Northern Ireland

Posted: 13 May 2012 4:00PM GMT
Hello Madam81,

I located the marriage index for Patrick Cleary and Ellen Moran at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for County Derry. The index shows the couple were married in the Ballinascreen Catholic Church in 1862. Ballinascreen is also spelled Ballynascreen.

The index follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Cleary (plus variants) Patrick 1862 Parish: BALLINASCREEN (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Derry
Surname: Cleary
First Name: Patrick
Spouse's Surname: Moran
Spouse's First Name: Ellen
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1862

Parish/District: BALLINASCREEN (RC)
____

The IFHF homepage can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

You will have to purchase credits to download a transcription of the marriage, which will give you more information about the marriage than you see in the index above.

More information about how the IFHF site works and the costs for credits can be found at the IFHF website.

To view a sample of a Catholic Church marriage transcription, go to the IFHF link at:
http://www.rootsireland.ie/index.php?id=samplerecords

To view a map of the Catholic Parishes of County Derry, including the Parish of Ballinascreen, go to the Irish Times newspaper link at: http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/de...

Ballinascreen is located in the southwest portion of County Derry, on the border with County Tyrone.

Ballynascreen was also a Civil Parish, as well as a Catholic Parish. To view a Civil Parish map of Ballynascreen, go to the Irish Times link at: http://tinyurl.com/c36az4h

Ballynascreen is Number 9 on the map. If you click on the Number 9 on the map, you’ll come to another page which lists the names of the townlands served by the Catholic Parish of Ballynascreen.

Toward the bottom of the page on the left hand side, you’ll see a list of the most common surnames found in the parish, as recorded in an Irish property tax record known as Griffiths Valuation, recorded between 1858 and 1859 for the parish.

These surnames include: Bradley, Kelly, McWilliams, Henry, Hagan, McNamee, Murray, McGuiggan, Donnelly, and McGlade.

To the right of the list of surnames, you’ll also see a modern map of the area, with Draperstown in the center of the map. Draperstown still exists, and in the 19th century was the major market and post town for the parish.

I located a description of Draperstown in the 1837 edition of Lewis’s Topographical Dictionary of Ireland. The Topographical Dictionary can be accessed from the Library Ireland website link at:
http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/index.php

The description follows:

BALLYNASCREEN, a parish, in the barony of LOUGHINSHOLIN, county of LONDONDERRY, and province of ULSTER; containing, with the market and post-town of Draperstown, 7854 inhabitants. This appears to have been a place of importance at a very early period; frequent notice of it occurs in the Trias Thaumaturga and other ancient records, though it is, neither mentioned in the Monasticon nor in the Visitation of 1622, which includes every other parish in the neighbourhood. The original church, the ruins of which are situated in a romantic and sequestered glen among the mountains, is said to have been founded by St. Patrick, and subsequently consecrated by St. Columb as a parochial church. The parish is intersected by the river Moyola, which has its sources amidst the mountain regions of Slieve Gullion, Moneymeeney, and Slieve Dovin, which extend into the county of Tyrone, where they meet the Munterloney range. It comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 32,492 statute acres, of which about 200 acres are mountain, waste, and bog. Part of the parish belongs to the Drapers' Company, of London, part to the representative of the Skinners' Company, and part to the see of Derry.
The soil is various: around Draperstown and on the banks of the Moyola it is a deep gravel and sand, and in an excellent state of cultivation, producing good crops of wheat, flax, oats, and potatoes, and some barley, but on the higher grounds the chief crops are flax, oats, and potatoes. The freestone is of superior quality and is extensively worked for building. Manganese has been found in detached nodules in several of the mountain streams and Boate, in his Natural History, states that gold has been also discovered here. Derrynoyd Lodge is the residence of the Rt. Hon. Judge Torrens. The inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture, with which they combine the weaving of linen and dealing in cattle, great numbers of which are bred on the mountains and exported to England and Scotland.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Derry, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £623. 1. 6 ½. The church, a large handsome edifice in the early English style, is situated at Draperstown, and was erected in 1760, principally through means of the Earl of Bristol, then Bishop of Derry; and the tower and a handsome octagonal spire were added in 1792, aided by contributions from Sir William Rowley, Bart., and the Drapers' Company, the latter of whom are proprietors of the estate and contributed £50. The glebe-house, a handsome residence, is situated on a glebe of 16la. 3r. 12p.; and there is another glebe in the townland of Bancran, containing 750a. 1r. 7p., much of which is mountain and pasture land.
The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; there are chapels at Moneymeeny and Straw. Two male and female schools are supported by the rector; two, situated at Black Hill and Carnamony, are supported by the Drapers' Company; and there are seven schools, situated respectively at Draperstown, Derrynoyd, Brackragh-Dysart, Drumard, Labby, Altyaskey, and Straw, under the National Board. In these schools are about 700 boys and 520 girls; and there are also two private schools, in which are about 100 children; and five Sunday schools. The ruins of the old church are highly interesting. There are numerous relics of antiquity, particularly cromlechs, of which there were formerly five within the limits of the parish.
____

I also found a description of Draperstown in Lewis’s Topographical Dictionary of Ireland.

This follows:

DRAPERSTOWN, or CROSS of BALLYNASCREEN, a market and post-town, in the parish of BALLYNASCREEN, barony of LOUGHINSHOLIN, county of LONDONDERRY, and province of ULSTER, 30 miles (S. E. by S.) from Londonderry, and 101 (N. by W.) from Dublin, on the road from Newtown-Stewart to Tubbermore; containing 412 inhabitants. In 1818, its name was changed from Cross to Draperstown, in consequence of its principally belonging to the Drapers' Company, under whose auspices a spacious market-house, hotel, and dispensary for their tenants, with surgeon's residence, are being built, chiefly in the Elizabethan style, and of freestone. The market is on Wednesday; and a fair for general farming stock is held on the first Friday in each month, and was established in 1792. The post-office is under Tubbermore, from which it is three miles distant; and here is a constabulary police station. The parochial church and school are situated in the town, and there is a general dispensary.
____

There won’t be a civil record of marriage for Patrick Cleary and Ellen Moran for the 1862 time period. The government in Ireland instituted civil registration in 1845, with the recording of Protestant marriages only. Civil Registration of births, marriages, and deaths for all religious denominations commenced in Ireland in 1864.

Next I went back to the IFHF website to see if I could locate the birth or baptism indexes for any children of Patrick Cleary and Ellen Moran, but was unsuccessful.

But, I believe I found Patrick, Ellen, and their two sons, in the 1871 census for England, living in Scot St., Barrow, Lancashire. The census shows that 30 year old Patrick is employed as a labourer, and that he was born in Ireland. His 26 year old wife Ellen was also born in Ireland. The oldest son in the household is listed as 7 year old Mark, born Fleetwood, Lancashire. I believe that Mark was actually Francis Cleary. His name may have been transcribed incorrectly by the census official, or perhaps Mark was his middle name.

The youngest son is 2 year old John, born Barrow in Furness. Also residing in the household is a 22 year old lodger named Phillip Barrow, born Ireland. Patrick Cleary’s brother, 26 year old James is also in the household. He was born in Ireland. In your message to Ancestry.com you had stated that Patrick had a brother named James.

Also living in the Cleary household are labourers John Meckle, Edward McGogle, and Felix O’Neill, all born in Ireland.

The census transcription below, as well as other census transcriptions you will see in this reply are from the Ancestry.com subscription website:

1871 England Census

Civil parish: Dalton
Ecclesiastical parish: St George
Town: Barrow
County/Island: Lancashire

Street Address: Scot St.

Registration district: Ulverston
Sub-registration district: Dalton
ED, institution, or vessel: 20
Household schedule number: 239
Piece: 4244
Folio: 137
Page Number: 60

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Where Born

Patrick Clary, Head, Married, Male, 30, Labourer, Ireland
Ellen Clary, Wife, Married, Female, 26, Ireland
Mark Clary, Son, Male, 7, Fleetwood
John Clary, Son, Male, 2, Barrow in Furness
Phillip Barrow, Lodger, Male, 32, Labourer, Ireland
James Clarey, Brother, Male, 26, Labourer, Ireland
John Meckle, Lodger, Married, Male, 45, Labourer, Ireland
Edward McGole, Lodger, Married, Male, 32, Labourer, Ireland
Felix O Neill, Lodger, Male, 26, Labourer, Ireland

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4244; Folio: 137; Page: 60; GSU roll: 848079.
____

To view a Google Map of Scott Street, Barrow in Furness, go to: http://tinyurl.com/6mnal6e

On the map you’ll see the letter A highlighted in orange pointing at Scott Street. Left-click on the letter A and a thumbnail “Street View” of Scott Street will appear. Click on Street View and you’ll be able to take a virtual tour of Scott Street, which appears to contain mostly small businesses today.

Next I located the Cleary family in the 1881 census of England, living in 11 Anson St., Barrow. The census shows that Patrick is a 45 year old general labourer born in Ireland. His 46 year old wife Ellen was also born in Ireland. The eldest son is 17 year old Francis, who was born in Fleetwood, though I couldn’t make out the full name of his birthplace in the census. If you recall, the 1871 census had shown that “Mark” Cleary was also born in Fleetwood.

The youngest Cleary son in the 1881 census is 11 year old John, born Barrow, Lancashire:

1881 England Census

Civil parish: Barrow in Furness

Street Address: 11 Anson St

Registration district: Barrow In Furness
Sub-registration district: Barrow In Furness
ED, institution, or vessel: 14 Piece: 4289
Folio: 12
Page Number: 21

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Where Born

Patrick Cleary, Head, Married, Male, 45, Labourer Genl, Ireland
Francis Cleary, Son, Unmarried, Male, 17, ?, Fleetwood
Ellen Cleary, Wife, Married, Female, 46, Ireland
John Cleary, Son, Male, 11, Scholar, Barrow

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4289; Folio: 12; Page: 21; GSU roll: 1342024.
____

To view a Google Map of Anson Street, go to: http://tinyurl.com/7w5jzwl

Click on the letter A to generate the Street View thumbnail, then click on Street View to take a virtual tour of Anson Street.

I then found the person I believe to be Patrick’s brother James “Clearey” in the 1881 census, living in an address of 97 Brick Cottage, Barrow in Furness. The census shows that James is a 35 year old engine fitter’s labourer, born in Ireland. The census also shows that James is married to 28 year old Bridget, also born in Ireland. James and Bridget have two children in the household with them, also born in Ireland. These are 5 year old John and 4 year old Patrick.

Also residing in the household are borders and visitors, all born in Ireland. These are Patrick Gillespie, Daniel McWilliams, William John Graham, and Daniel Cassidy.

1881 England Census

Street Address: 97 Brick Cottage

Sub-registration district: Barrow In Furness
ED, institution, or vessel: 21
Piece: 4291
Folio: 10
Page Number: 19

James Clearey, Head, Married, Male, 35, Engine Fitters Labourer, Ireland
Bridget Clearey, Wife, Married, Female, 28, Ireland
John Clearey, Son, Male, 5, Scholar, Ireland
Patrick Clearey, Son, Male, 4, Scholar, Ireland
Patrick Gillespie, Boarder, 22, Ship Platers Labourer, Ireland
Daniel Mc Williams, Boarder, Male, 20, Ship Platers Labourer, Ireland
William John Graham, Boarder, Male, 22, Coppersmiths Labourer, Ireland
Daniel Cassidy, Visitor, Male, 22, House Joiner Unemployed, Ireland

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4291; Folio: 10; Page: 19; GSU roll: 1342025.
____

What this census indicates is that James, between the 1871 and 1881 census enumerations, had gone back to Ireland, married Bridget, and had two children before moving back to Lancashire, England.

To see if this happened, and to also see if he married in County Londonderry, I looked for the marriage of a James Cleary and a Bridget at the IFHF website. Specifically, I wanted to see if a James Cleary and a Bridget had married in the Ballinascreen Catholic Church between 1871 and 1881.

I found a match, showing that a James Cleary and a Bridget were married in the Ballinascreen Catholic Church in 1874. The IFHF indexes do not automatically provide you with the last name of the spouse. You either have to know the last name (as was the case with Patrick Cleary and Ellen Moran), or you have to locate the last name though another source, or you have to guess as to the last name, or you can just go ahead and expend the credits to purchase a transcription of the marriage to find out what the last name was.

More on this later. The IFHF marriage index for James Cleary and Bridget follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Cleary (plus variants) James 1874 Parish: BALLINASCREEN (RC)

First Name: James
Spouse's Surname:
Spouse's First Name: Bridget
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1874

____

I also found the civil marriage index for James and Bridget at the IFHF website. A civil marriage is one recorded by the government. This index shows James and Bridget’s marriage recorded in the Draperstown (RD), that is, Registration District, in 1874:

1 match for the search criteria: Cleary (plus variants) James 1874 Parish: DRAPERSTOWN (RD)

Spouse's Surname:
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Parish/District: DRAPERSTOWN (RD)
____

Next I wanted to see if I could uncover Bridget’s maiden name. To do this I went back to the Irish Times Civil parish link noted earlier for Ballynascreen at: http://tinyurl.com/7t5t2ak

I scrolled down the page to where the most common Ballinascreen surnames for 1858-1859 are listed in the left margin of the page. These names are Bradley, Kelly, McWilliams, Henry, Hagan, McNamee, Murray, McGuiggan, Donnelly, and McGlade.

I then went back to the IFHF search engine and looked for Bridget’s maiden name by typing in the names of this list into the search engine. The search engine didn’t accept Bradley, but did accept Kelly as Bridget’s maiden name for both the church and civil marriage indexes.

The revised indexes are below:

1 match for the search criteria: Cleary (plus variants) James 1874 Parish: BALLINASCREEN (RC)

Spouse's Surname: Kelly
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Cleary (plus variants) James 1874 Parish: DRAPERSTOWN (RD)

Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

Civil marriage indexes from the 1874 time period traditionally include the names and occupations of the fathers of the Groom and Bridge. I had to guess as to the first names of James’s and Bridget’s father.

For James’s father, I typed in James in the search engine, but this name was rejected. After several more tries, the search engine finally accepted John as James’s father’s first name:

Father's Surname: Cleary
Father's First Name: John
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

For Bridget, the search engine accepted Patrick as her father’s first name:

Surname: Kelly
First Name: Bridget
Spouse's Surname: Cleary
Spouse's First Name: James
Father's Surname: Kelly
Father's First Name: Patrick
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

Thus, James was the son of John Cleary, which means if James and Patrick were brothers, then Patrick’s father would also be John Cleary.

The 1881 census for England had shown that James and Bridget Cleary had two sons in the household with them. These sons were 5 year old John and 4 year old Patrick.

At 5 years old in 1881, John would have been born circa 1875-1876, while Patrick would have been born circa 1876-1877.

With this information I looked for baptism and civil birth indexes for John and Patrick. I started with John but didn’t find a civil birth index for him, though I located a church baptism index for him, showing the baptism took place in the Ballinascreen Catholic Church in 1875. The IFHF search engine accepted James Cleary and “Brgid” Kelly as his parents. If you access this index make sure you spell John’s mother’s first name as Brigid, rather than Bridget, or the search engine will not produce a positive result.

The index follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Cleary (plus variants) John 1875 Parish: BALLINASCREEN (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Derry
First Name: John
Father's First Name: James
Mother's Surname: Kelly
Mother's First Name: Brigid

Year: 1875

____

Then surprisingly, I found a Draperstown civil birth index for John Cleary for the year 1876. The reason for this may be that John was born in late December 1875, but that his birth was not recorded by the district until early 1876, perhaps in January. His baptism however, would have been recorded as soon as possible after he was born, as Catholics believe that if a child dies unbaptized, his soul will go to a place called Limbo.

The civil birth index follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Cleary (plus variants) John 1876 Parish: DRAPERSTOWN (RD)

Mother's First Name: Bridget

Year: 1876

____

If you order the Draperstown civil birth transcription for John from the IFHF, see if the record notes whether he was born in 1875.

I then located the 1876 Ballinascreen Catholic Church baptism index for Patrick Cleary, son of James Cleary and “Biddy” Kelly. The IFHF search engine did not accept Bridget or Brigid for Patrick’s mother’s first name. If you access the index below, make sure to spell Patrick’s mother’s name as Biddy:

1 match for the search criteria: Cleary (plus variants) Patrick 1876 Parish: BALLINASCREEN (RC)

Mother's First Name: Biddy

Year: 1876

____

Going back to English census returns, I looked for James Cleary in the 1891 enumeration. I didn’t look for Patrick, as your records show he and his sons left England around 1888.

I found 44 year old James in the 1891 census showing he and his family were living in 8 Arthur Street, Barrow, Lancashire. I couldn’t make out James’s full occupation in a copy of the census from Ancestry.com, but the part I could decipher shows he was employed as a labourer. The census shows that he, as well as his wife Bridget, were born in Ireland. I couldn’t read Bridget’s full age because of enumerator’s hash marks on the census, but it appears her age was likely 38.

In the household with James and Bridget were their two sons, 15 year old Thomas and 14 year old Patrick, both born in Ireland. Thomas was likely John, as I hadn’t found a birth or baptism record for a Thomas Cleary in Ireland. Perhaps his full name was John Thomas Cleary.

Also in the household are three of James and Brigdet’s children born in Barrow, Lancashire. These are 9 year old “Bridgett, 6 year old James, and 2 year old Mary A. Cleary:

1891 England Census

Ecclesiastical parish: St Luke
Town: Barrow

Street Address: 8 Arthur St.

Sub-registration district: Barrow in Furness
ED, institution, or vessel: 25
Piece: 3487
Folio: 89
Page Number: 64

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Empolyer/Employed/ Neither Employer nor Employed, Where Born

James Cleary, Head, Married, Male, 44, ? Labor, Employed, Ireland
Bridget Cleary, Wife, Married, Female, ?8, Ireland
Thomas Cleary, Son, Male, 15, Ireland
Patrick Cleary, Son, Male, 14, Ireland
Bridgett Cleary, Daughter, Female, 9, Scholar, Barrow Barrow
James Cleary, Son, Male, 6, Scholar, Barrow, Barrow
Mary A Cleary, Daughter, Female, 2, Barrow, Barrow

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 3487; Folio: 89; Page: 64; GSU roll: 6098597.
____

A Google Map of Arthur Street can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/ce2nads

You can generate a Street View of Arthur Street from the above link.

Moving on to the 1901 census I found 55 year old James and 48 year old Bridget Cleary and five of their children still living in 8 Arthur Street, Barrow. This is the same address they were living in according to the 1891 census.

The 1901 census shows that 55 year old James was employed as a “Navvy.” A navy was a worker who constructed roads as well as navigation canals. The census also shows that James’s wife Bridget was 48. Both James and Bridget are shown to have been born in Ireland.

The children in the household, all born in Barrow in Furness, are 19 year old Bridget, whose full employment I couldn’t make out, but who was a drawer in a “works,” or factory; 16 year old James, a shipyard Labourer; 12 year old Mary Ann; and 9 year old Laurence Cleary:

1901 England Census

Ecclesiastical parish: St George

Street Address: 8 Arthur St.

Registration district: Barrow in Furness
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Household schedule number: 198
Piece: 4011
Folio: 104
Page Number: 36

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Condition as to Marriage, Sex, Age, Occupation, Employer/Worker/Own Account, If Working at Home, Where Born

James Cleary, Head, Married, Male, 55, Navvy, Worker, Ireland
Bridget Cleary, Wife, Married, Female, 48, Ireland
Bridget Cleary, Daughter, Single, Female, 19, Drawer in ? Works, Lanc Barrow in F
James Cleary, Son, Male, 16, Shipyard Labourer, Worker, Lanc Barrow in F
Mary Ann Cleary, Daughter, Female, 12, Lanc Barrow in F
Lawrence Cleary, Son, Male, 9, Lanc Barrow in F
Frank Cleary, Son, Male, 5, Lanc Barrow in F

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4011; Folio: 104; Page: 36.
____

I then located the Cleary family in the 1911 England census still living in 8 Arthur Street, Barrow in Furness. The census shows that 60 year old James is a general labourer born in Derry, Ireland, as was his 57 year old wife Bridget. Both are listed as Irish subjects. Back in the household with James and Bridget is their 36 year old son John, a general labourer in a shipyard. John was also born in Derry and is listed as an Irish subject. The other children in the household, all born in Barrow in Furness, are 25 year old James, working as a shipyard labourer; 22 year old servant Mary Ann; 19 year old apprentice blacksmith Laurence; and 15 year old Francis Cleary, employed as a general labourer in a shipyard:

1911 England Census

Street Address: 8 Arthur Street Barrow

Registration district: Barrow in Furness
Registration District Number: 482
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Piece: 25661

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Sex, Age, Condition as to Marriage, Occupation, Employer/Worker/Own Account, If Working at Home, Where Born, Nationality

James Cleary, Head, Male, 60, Married, Labourer General, County Derry, Irish Subject
Bridget Cleary, Wife, Female, 57, Married, County Derry, Irish Subject
John Cleary, Son, Male, 36, Single, Labourer General Shipyard, County Derry, Irish Subject
James Cleary, Son, Male, 25, Son, Labourer General Shipyard, Barrow England, British
Mary Ann Cleary, Daughter, Female, 22, Servant, Barrow England, British
Laurance Cleary, Son, Male, 19, Single, Apprentice Blacksmith Outside Shop, Barrow England, British
Francis Cleary, Son, Male, 15, Single, Labourer General Shipyard, Barrow England, British

Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 25661.
____

For more information about Barrow in Furness, go to the Wikipedia link at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrow-in-Furness

The 1874 civil marriage index for James Cleary and Bridget Kelly had shown that James’s father was John and Bridget’s father Patrick.

As noted earlier, John Cleary would also have been Patrick Cleary’s father as well.

I looked for the baptism of Patrick and James Cleary, sons of John Cleary at the IFHF website for Derry and also for Ballinascreen, but did not uncover their baptisms. I searched for their baptisms from the 1830s to the 1850s.

I also looked for the baptism of an Ellen Moran in Ballynascreen and County Derry for the 1830-1840 time period, but again turned up nothing.

I then wanted to see if I could find more information about James Cleary’s wife, Bridget Kelly. Her age from one census to another is consistent. In the 1881 census for example, she is 28. In the 1891 census her age is apparently 38, while in the 1901 census she is shown to be 48. The 1911 census gives her age as 57. Her age in the census returns places her year of birth circa 1853-1854.

The civil marriage index for Bridget and James Cleary had shown that her father was Patrick Kelly. With this information I looked for her baptism record in the Ballinascreen Catholic Church at the IFHF website for Derry. I didn’t find a baptism for a Bridget Kelly in 1853 or 1854, but located two other baptisms, one in 1850 and one in 1856. Both baptisms took ploace in the Ballinascreen Catholic Church.

The 1850 baptism index follows. I had guessed that her mother’s first name was Bridget, and the IFHF search engine accepted this. I couldn’t find her mother’s maiden name, as the search engine didn’t accept any of the most common surnames for the parish as noted earlier in the Irish Times link. Her mother’s surname is left blank in the baptism index:

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Bridget 1850 Parish: BALLINASCREEN (RC)

Mother's Surname:

Year: 1850

____

In the 1856 baptism index, the search engine accepted Kelly as Bridget’s mother’s maiden name. The search engine also accepted Hanna as her mother’s first name:

1 match for the search criteria: Kelly (plus variants) Bridget 1856 Parish: BALLINASCREEN (RC)

Mother's First Name: Hanna

Year: 1856

____

I don’t know if one or the other baptisms for Bridget Kelly above, pertains to the future wife of James Cleary.

Best Wishes,

Dave Boylan

Re: Patrick Cleary Married Ellen Moran/Northern Ireland

Posted: 27 May 2012 9:36AM GMT
Hi Kathy,

I hope you don’t mind my sending this communication through the Ancestry.com message boards, as I’ll be able to more readily access it in the future should the need arise.

I’ve been busy the past few days going through the family tree you had sent, and may have found more information concerning some of your ancestors. For example, the marriage record for Patrick Tracy and Mary Ann Brown, shows that Patrick father was Michael and his mother Bridget. I located the possible baptism index for Patrick at the IFHF website for County Wicklow, showing that a Patrick Tracy was baptized in the Hacketstown Catholic Church in 1833. Your family tree notes he was born in 1835. This is the only Patrick Tracy with parents named Michael and Bridget that I could find at the IFHF website. Initially however, I didn’t have the maiden name of his mother, and so you won’t see Bridget’s maiden name in the baptism index that follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Tracy (plus variants) Patrick 1833 Parish: HACKETSTOWN (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Wicklow
Surname: Tracy
Father's Surname: Tracy
Father's First Name: Michael
Mother's Surname:

Year: 1833

Parish/District: HACKETSTOWN (RC)
____

I then wanted to see if I could uncover Bridget’s maiden name. I did this in a round-about way by first accessing an Irish property tax record known as Griffiths Valuation. Griffiths Valuation was enumerated in the 32 counties of Ireland between 1847 and 1864. The valuation for Hacketstown, Wicklow was completed by 1853. I located Michael Tracy in the valuation, showing that he leased property in the townland of Rathmeague, Civil Parish of Hacketstown.

Unlike a census, Griffiths Valuation does not list the family members. People leasing property are known as “Occupiers.” Those that own the property or who act as the owner’s agent, are known as “Immediate Lessors.” Griffiths Valuation shows that Michael Tracy leased a house and land from Earl Fitzwilliam.

You can access Griffiths Valuation for free at the Ask About Ireland website link at:
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

The valuation for Michael Tracy follows:

No. and Letters of Reference to Map: 8a
Civil Parish: Hacketstown
Townland: Rathmeague
Occupier: Michael Tracy
Immediate Lessor: Earl Fitzwilliam
Description of Tenement: House and land
Area of Land: 2 Acres: 3 Roods: 13 Perches
Rateable Annual Valuation of Land: 1 Pound, 5 Shillings
Rateable Annual Valuation of Buildings: 10 Shillings
Total Annual Valuation of Rateable Property: 1 Pound, 15 Shillings
____

Griffiths Valuation shows that Michael Tracy leased over 2 acres of land from Earl Fitzwilliam. The land was valued at 1 Pound, 5 Shillings. The house was valued at 10 Shillings. The total value of the land and house was 1 Pound, 15 shillings. Michael would probably not have paid any taxes on this leasehold, as the value was under 5 Pounds. If the total value of his property had been 5 Pounds or over, he would have paid a percentage of the value toward taxes.

The map reference at the top of the valuation, 8a, refers to the location of Michael’s leasehold in Rathmeague, as found on an Ordnance Survey Map from the time period.

Griffiths Valuation shows there were several other people leasing property in Rathmeague. I looked at the surnames of these people, as one of their surnames may have been Bridget’s maiden name. The other surnames leasing property in Rathmeague include Keefe, McDaniel, Collins, Lawrenson, Kinehela, Curran, and Kenny.

With this information I went back to the IFHF baptism index search engine for Patrick Tracy, and typed each surname into the “Mother’s Surname” field to see if the search engine accepted that particular name. The search engine accepted Kenny as Bridget’s maiden surname. The revised baptism index for Patrick Tracy follows, which includes the full name of his mother:

1 match for the search criteria: Tracy (plus variants) Patrick 1833 Parish: HACKETSTOWN (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Wicklow
Surname: Tracy
Father's Surname: Tracy
Father's First Name: Michael
Mother's Surname: Kenny

Parish/District: HACKETSTOWN (RC)
____

I didn’t find the baptisms of any other children of Michael Tracy and Bridget Kenny, nor did I uncover Michael and Bridget’s marriage index in Wicklow or anywhere else in Ireland.

Kathy, I can’t be sure that the above index pertains to your Patrick Tracy, as we don’t know what his mother’s maiden name was. But, there is the possibility that the baptism index does refer to your Patrick. At this point in time it is only circumstantial evidence that Michael was baptized in Hacketstown, Wicklow, and that his mother’s full name was Bridget Kenny. Have you come across the surname Kenny in any of your research, or had you heard that some of your ancestors may have come from County Wicklow?

Concerning Mary Ann Brown, your records show that she was born in Ireland in 1834, and that her parents were William Brown and Jane Fairclough. I didn’t find the baptism of a Mary Ann Brown, daughter of William Brown and Jane Fairclough, but coincidentally uncovered the baptism index for a Maria Brown, daughter of Patrick Brown and Jane Faircloth, in the Catholic parish of Stamullin, County Meath. Her year of baptism (could be another coincidence) was 1834. The name Maria would be the Latin form for Mary.

I also found the Stamuullin, Meath baptism indexes for three other children of Patrick Brown and Jane Faircloth. These are for Ellen (1840); Elizabeth (1844); and Patrick (1847).

Following the baptism indexes is the 1833 Stamullin marriage index for Patrick Browne and Jane Faircloth:

1 match for the search criteria: Browne (plus variants) Maria 1834 Parish: STAMULLIN (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Meath
Surname: Browne
First Name: Maria
Father's Surname: Browne
Mother's Surname: Faircloth
Mother's First Name: Jane

Year: 1834

Parish/District: STAMULLIN (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Browne (plus variants) Ellen 1840 Parish: STAMULLIN (RC)

First Name: Ellen

Year: 1840

____

1 match for the search criteria: Browne (plus variants) Elizabeth 1844 Parish: STAMULLIN (RC)

First Name: Elizabeth

Year: 1844

____

1 match for the search criteria: Browne (plus variants) Patrick 1847 Parish: STAMULLIN (RC)

Year: 1847

____

1 match for the search criteria: Browne (plus variants) Patrick 1833 Parish: STAMULLIN (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Meath
Spouse's Surname: Faircloth
Spouse's First Name: Jane
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

These Brown and Faircloth indexes may or may not refer to your Brown and Faircloth ancestors or collateral lines, but I thought you may want to view the above indexes and keep them aside for future reference.

Next I found a Massachusetts marriage index that I believe does refer to your ancestors or collateral lines. This is the marriage index for John Weatherbee and Lizzie E. Brown Cargill. The marriage took place in Scituate, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, on 10 November 1879. John’s father is shown to be George T. Weatherbee, while his mother is listed as Sarah B. Clapp.

Lizzie’s father is George Cargill, while her mother is Jennie “Faircleaw” Brown.

The index comes from the Latter Day Saints (LDS) free website:

"Massachusetts, Marriages, 1695-1910," Lizzie E. Brown Cargill, 1879

Groom's Name: John Weatherbee
Groom's Birth Date:
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age:

Bride's Name: Lizzie E. Brown Cargill
Bride's Birth Date:
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age:

Marriage Date: 10 Nov 1879
Marriage Place: Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusetts, Usa

Groom's Father's Name: George T.
Groom's Mother's Name: Sarah B. Clapp

Bride's Father's Name: George
Bride's Mother's Name: Jennie Faircleaw Brown

Groom's Race:
Groom's Marital Status:
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status:
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M01999-7System Origin: Massachusetts-ODM
Reference Number:

Source Film Number: 1433040 = Births, marriages (1841-1895), and deaths (1841-1899):
Marriages v. 307(p.307-end)-309,316(p.1-326) 1879-1880

Source Citation
"Massachusetts, Marriages, 1695-1910," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/
pal:/MM9.1.1/FC67-NPJ : accessed 24 May 2012), Lizzie E. Brown Cargill, 1879.
____

The LDS has digitized the marriage record for John and Lizzie which you can view at:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-13196-38104-83?...

The original marriage record shows that this is the second marriage for both 33 year old John and 32 year old Lizzie.
The marriage record also shows that John is employed as a merchant, and that he was born in Marshfield, Massachusetts, while Lizzie was born in what appears to be Lockport, New York. The couple were married by the Rev. George Gannett of 69 Chester Square, Boston.

Next I looked for, but couldn’t identify the first marriage for John Weatherbee, but did find the index of first marriage for Elizabeth E. Brown at the LDS website. The index shows she married Henry L. Cargill on 7 December 1867 in Boston, Massachusetts. Elizabeth’s parents are listed as George Brown and Jane, while Henry Cargill’s parents are listed as Joseph Cargill and Clara:

"Massachusetts, Marriages, 1841-1915," Elizabeth E. Brown, 1867

Name: Henry L. Cargill
Event Date: 07 Dec 1867
Event Place: Boston, Massachusetts

Marital Status:
Race:
Birth Date:
Birthplace:

Marriage Registration Year:
Marriage Registration Place:

Estimated Birth Year: 1845

Father: Joseph Cargill Mother: Clara
Spouse: Elizabeth E. Brown

Spouse's Father: George Brown
Spouse's Mother: Jane

Record Number: 42
Film Number: 1433026
Digital Folder Number: 4279270
Image Number: 00196
Number of Images:

Source Citation
"Massachusetts, Marriages, 1841-1915," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/
pal:/MM9.1.1/NWYY-XZG : accessed 25 May 2012), Elizabeth E. Brown, 1867.
____

A copy of the original marriage record for Elizabeth and Henry can be found at: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12458-77326-54?...

The marriage record in the link above shows that Henry is a 22 year old teacher who was born in Newcastle, though I couldn’t make out the state or country for this Newcastle. Elizabeth, age 22, is also shown to have been born in Ireland. But, the record of her second marriage to John Weatherbee states she was born in Rockport, New York.

Henry and Elizabeth were married by the Rev. George Epworth of Boston.

The 1860 census below solves the mystery about where Henry was born, as it shows he and his family were living in Newcastle, Lincoln County, Maine.

Henry’s father is 62 year old Joseph Cargill, a farmer and blacksmith born in Maine. The census shows that the value of Joseph’s real estate is $7,000, while his personal estate is worth $1,000. His wife is Clarissa H. Cargill, also born in Maine. The oldest child in the household is 26 year old Fanny M. Cargill, born in Maine, followed by 14 year old Henry L. also born in Maine. The household also includes 80 year old Sally Delano, born in Maine.

The census transcription from Ancestry.com is below:

1860 United States Federal Census

Page No. 24

SCHEDULE 1.-Free Inhabitants in Newcastle in the County of Lincoln State
Of Maine enumerated by me, on the 24th day of June 1860. John Madigan, Ass’t Marshal

Post Office: Damariscotta Mills

Name, Age, Sex, Color, Occupation, Value of Real Estate, Value of Personal Estate, Place of Birth,
Attended school within the year, Person over 21 years of age who cannot read and write

Joseph Cargill, 62, Male, Farmer & Blacksmith, $7000, $1000, Maine
Clarissa H Cargill, 57, Female, Maine
Fanny M Cargill, 26, Female, Maine
Henry L Cargill, 14, Male, Maine
Sally Delano, 80, Female, Maine

Source Citation: Year: 1860; Census Place: Newcastle, Lincoln, Maine; Roll: M653_442;
Page: 816; Image: 470; Family History Library Film: 803442.
____

THE EHRE FAMILY

Next I found the person I believe to be your Catherine Ehre in the 1910 census living with her parents and younger brother Walter in an address of 7 Bower Avenue, Queens, New York. Catherine is shown to be 3 years old and born in New Jersey. Her father is a city policeman named Walter F. Ehre. He is 27 years old and born in New York, though the census shows his parents were born in France.

Walter’s wife is 25 year old Elizabeth, born in New Jersey. The census shows that she and Walter have been married 5 years and that in that time she and her husband had 2 children, and that the 2 children were still alive.

Walter F. Ehre Jr. is the youngest child, at 1 year of age. He was born in New Jersey.

The census was found at Ancestry.com. The Ancestry.com indexes give the name of the family as Ekre, but someone had correct the name to Ehre.

1910 United States Federal

Home in 1910: 7 Bower Ave., Queens Ward 2, Queens, New York

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Sex, Color, Age, Marital Status, Number of Years Married, Number of Children Born, Number of Children Living, Place of Birth, Place of Birth of Father, Place of Birth of Mother, Occupation, Home Owned or Rented

Walter F Ehre, Head, Male, White, 27, Married 5 years, New York, France, France, City Policeman, Home Rented
Elizabeth Ehre, Wife, Female, White, 25, Married 5 Years, 2 Children Born, 2 Children Living, New Jersey, Germany, Gernamy, Not Employed
Catherine Ehre, Daughter, Female, White, 3, Single, New Jersey, New York, New Jersey
Walter F Ehre Jr., Son, Male, White, 1, New Jersey, New York, New Jersey

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Queens Ward 2, Queens, New York; Roll: T624_1066;
Page: 5B; Enumeration District: 1181; Image: 159; FHL microfilm: 1375079.
____

The household enumerated just before that of Walter and Elizabeth Ehre, also at 7 Bower Ave., is that of 50 year old Peter and his wife, 50 year old Lena Ehre, and their five children. Peter and Lena may be Wlater F. Ehre’s parents. The enumeration for Walter shows his father and mother were born in France. The enumeration for Peter and Lena also show they were born in France. The 1900 census lists Peter’s occupation as a cook at home. It also shows that he and Lena had immigrated to the United States in 1881, and that he was a naturalized American citizen.

The census notes that all five of Peter and Lena’s children were born in New York, with the eldest being 18 year old Ella, a saleslady in a department store. The next child is 17 year old errand boy Peter, who was employed by a lithograph company. He is followed by 16 year old Lena, whose full occupation I couldn’t decipher. Next are 13 year old John; and 11 year old Emma.

The census transcription below is from Ancestry.com:

Name, Relation to Head of Household, Sex, Color, Age, Marital Status, Number of Years Married, Number of Children Born, Number of Children Living, Place of Birth, Place of Birth of Father, Place of Birth of Mother, Year of Immigration, Whether Naturalized or Alien, Occupation, Home Owned or Rented

Peter Ehre, Head, Male, White, 50, Married, 30 Years Married, France, France, France, 1881, Naturalized, Cook at Home, Home Rented
Lena Ehre, Wife, Female, White, 50, Married, Married 30 Years, 9 Children Born, 8 Children Living, France, France, France, 1881, No Occupation
Ella Ehre, Daughter, Female, White, 18, Single, New York, France, France, Saleslady Dept Store
Peter Ehre, Son, Male, White, 17, Single, New York, France, France, Errand Boy Lithograph Co.
Lena Ehre, Daughter, Female, White, 16, Single, New York, France, France, Marker? Dept Store
John Ehre, Son, Male, White, 13, Single, New York, France, France, Not Employed
Emma Ehre, Daughter, White, Female, 11, Single, New York, France, France, Not Employed

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Queens Ward 2, Queens, New York; Roll: T624_1066;
Page: 5B; Enumeration District: 1181; Image: 159; FHL microfilm: 1375079.
____

I looked for the marriage record for Peter and Lena Ehre at Ancestry.com and the LDS website, but didn’t find it. But, I did locate the LDS birth indexes for two of their children, Anna, and Peter. The birth index for Anna gives her mother’s full name as Madeline Weiss. Anna was born in Manhattan, New York, on 7 June 1890.

Her birth index follows:

"New York, Births and Christenings, 1640-1962," Peter Ehre in entry for Anna Ehre, 1890

Name: Anna Ehre
Baptism/Christening Date:
Baptism/Christening Place:

Birth Date: 07 Jun 1890
Birthplace: MANHATTAN,NEW YORK,NEW YORK

Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:

Father's Name: Peter Ehre
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Name: Madeline Weiss
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00505-4
System Origin: New_York-ODM
Reference Number:

Source Film Number: 1322231 = Manhattan birth certificates, 1866-1897:
Birth certificates no. 16158-19053 1890.

Source Citation
"New York, Births and Christenings, 1640-1962," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/
pal:/MM9.1.1/FD5Z-S5F : accessed 26 May 2012), Peter Ehre in entry for Anna Ehre, 1890.
____

Anna’s birth record can be found LDS microfilm number1322231. You can order this film online from the LDS link at: https://familysearch.org/films/lookup/products/view/film/132...

Nest is the LDS birth index for Peter Ehre. He was born in Manhattan on 9 October 1893. His mother’s full name is listed as Magdalena Weiss Ehre:

"New York, Births and Christenings, 1640-1962," Peter Ehre, 1893

Name: Peter Ehre

Birth Date: 09 Oct 1893
Birthplace: Manhattan, New York, New York, USA

Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:

Father's Name: Peter Ehre
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Name: Magdalena Weiss Ehre
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00178-1
Reference Number:

Source Film Number: 1322285 = Manhattan birth certificates, 1866-1897:
Birth certificates no. 37101-40100 1893

Source Citation
"New York, Births and Christenings, 1640-1962," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/
pal:/MM9.1.1/FDRN-TZZ : accessed 26 May 2012), Peter Ehre, 1893.
____

Peter’s birth record can be found in LDS microfilm number 1322285. This film can be ordered online from:
https://familysearch.org/films/lookup/products/view/?film=13...

I also found Peter’s World War II Draft Registration Card at Ancestry.com and at the LDS website. The LDS website has a link to a copy of the original draft card registration form, which you can access at:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11807-153447-59...

The card has information on both sides. To see the other side of the card, go to:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11807-135178-69...

I know this is Peter’s, as his date of birth on the card is the same as on the LDS birth index above. His full name on the draft registration card is Peter John Erhe

Kathy, it appears that at the time he registered for the draft, Peter was working for President Roosevelt’s Works Progress Administration (WPA). His complexion is listed as “Dark,” and so I’m wondering if he’d been working outdoors a lot.

THE DACEY FAMILY

Your information shows that David L. Dacey was born about 1882, and that he married Alice. He and Alice had a child named Lillian, born 27 August 1902.

I didn’t find David’s birth index, but did locate his LDS marriage index showing that he (full name David Laurence Dacey), and Alice Pearl Howarth were married in Manhattan on 1 June 1902. The index notes that David’s parents are Pattrick (sic) Dacey and Catherine Burke, while Alice’s parents are John H. Howarth and Jennie Dennick.

The index is below:

"New York, Marriages, 1686-1980," David Laurence Dacey, 1902

Groom's Name: David Laurence Dacey
Groom's Birth Date:
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age:

Bride's Name: Alice Pearl Howarth
Bride's Birth Date:
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age:

Marriage Date: 01 Jun 1902
Marriage Place: Manhattan, New York, New York

Groom's Father's Name: Pattrick Dacey
Groom's Mother's Name: Catherine Burke

Bride's Father's Name: John H. Howarth
Bride's Mother's Name: Jennie Dennick

Groom's Race:
Groom's Marital Status:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00156-5System Origin: New_York-ODM
Reference Number:

Source Film Number: 1570817 = Manhattan (New York City) marriage records, 1866-1937:
Certificates no. 9501-10764 1902.

Source Citation
"New York, Marriages, 1686-1980," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/
pal:/MM9.1.1/F63G-FYM : accessed 25 May 2012), David Laurence Dacey, 1902.
____

The marriage record for David and Alice can be found on LDS microfilm number 1570817. You can order this film online by going to the following LDS link: https://familysearch.org/films/lookup/products/view/film/157...

The 1910 and 1920 census returns place Lillian Dacey’s birth in 1903, while her SSDI card gives her year of birth as 1902. If Lillian had been born in 1902, you have to consider that her parents may have had to marry sooner than they may have wished so their child would not be born out of wedlock. I’m wondering if her SSDI is incorrect about her year of birth?

With a little luck I next found the LDS marriage index for David’s parents, Patrick “Deacy” and Catherine Burke. They were married in Manhattan on 26 August 1877. The marriage index shows that Patrick’s parents were Lawrence Deacy and Mary Oats. The index also shows that Catherine’s parents were “Thos” Burke and Ann Barton.

The index follows:

"New York, Marriages, 1686-1980," Patk. Deacy, 1877

Groom's Name: Patk. Deacy
Groom's Birth Date:
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age:

Bride's Name: Cath. Burke
Bride's Birth Date:
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age:
Marriage Date: 26 Aug 1877

Groom's Father's Name: Lawrence Deacy
Groom's Mother's Name: Mary Oats

Bride's Father's Name: Thos Burke
Bride's Mother's Name: Ann Barton

Groom's Marital Status:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00464-5System Origin: New_York-ODM
Reference Number:

Source Film Number: 1562243 = Manhattan (New York City) marriage records, 1866-1937:
Certificates no. 5001-6000 1877

Source Citation
"New York, Marriages, 1686-1980," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F6Q4-3BH : accessed 25 May 2012), Patk. Deacy, 1877.
____

Film number 1562243 can be ordered online at: https://familysearch.org/films/lookup/products/view/film/156...

While I didn’t find a birth index for David L. Dacey, I located what I believe are the birth indexes for two other children of Patrick Dacey and Catherine Burke. These are the births for Ann Deacy and Joseph Deacy. Ann was born in Manhattan 1887 and Joseph in Manhattan in 1890.

Both LDS birth indexes are below.

"New York, Births and Christenings, 1640-1962," Ann Deacy, 1887

Name: Ann Deacy

Birth Date: 20 May 1887

Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Patrick Deacy
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Name: Kate Burke Deacy
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00411-9
Reference Number:

Source Film Number: 1322221 = Manhattan birth certificates, 1866-1897:
Birth certificates no. 488501-491500 1887.

Source Citation
pal:/MM9.1.1/FDT5-H3J : accessed 26 May 2012), Ann Deacy, 1887.
____

To order film number 1322221 online go to: https://familysearch.org/films/lookup/products/view/film/132...

"New York, Births and Christenings, 1640-1962," Joseph Deacy, 1890

Name: Joseph Deacy

Birth Date: 03 Jun 1890

Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:

Father's Name: Patrick Deacy
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Name: Kate Burke
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00505-4
Reference Number:

Source Film Number: 1322231 = Manhattan birth certificates, 1866-1897

Source Citation
pal:/MM9.1.1/FD5Z-HSC : accessed 26 May 2012), Joseph Deacy, 1890.
____

To order film number 1322231 online go to: https://familysearch.org/films/lookup/products/view/?film=13...

I also found an LDS marriage index for a May “Elisabeth” Dacey, who married Charles H. Dippel in Manhattan on 6 May 1900. Elizabeth’s parents are listed as Patrick Dacey and Katherine Burke. Kathy, if you order this marriage record, see if David is listed as a witness.

"New York, Marriages, 1686-1980," May Elisabeth Dacey, 1900

Groom's Name: Charles H. Dippel
Groom's Birth Date:
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age:

Bride's Name: May Elisabeth Dacey
Bride's Birth Date:
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age:

Marriage Date: 06 May 1900

Groom's Father's Name: Christen Dippel Groom's Mother's Name: Katherine Bauer

Bride's Father's Name: Patrick Dacey Bride's Mother's Name: Katharine Burke
Groom's Race:
Groom's Marital Status:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00638-6
Reference Number:

Source Film Number: 1570301 = Manhattan (New York City) marriage records, 1866-1937:
Certificates no. 7269-8500 1900.

Source Citation
"New York, Marriages, 1686-1980," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/
pal:/MM9.1.1/F678-MKC : accessed 26 May 2012), May Elisabeth Dacey, 1900.
____

To order film number 1570301 online go to: https://familysearch.org/films/lookup/products/view/?film=15...

Getting back to Patrick and Catherine Dacey, their having been married in 1877 means they may be in the 1880 census for New York.

I located what I believe to be the “Dacey” family in the 1880 census living in an address of 59 West Seventy-Seventh Street, New York. The census shows that 28 year old Patrick was a plumber born in Ireland. His 24 year old wife Catherine was also born in Ireland. They have one child in the household. This is 2 month old John T. Dacey, born in New York in April of 1880. There is also a niece in the household, 16 year old Mary McKern, a domestic servant, born in Ireland.

The census transcription below is from Ancetry.com:

1880 U.S. Federal Census

Home in 1880: 59 West Seventy-Seventh Street, New York City, New York, New York

Name, Color, Sex, Age, Relation to Head of Household, Marital Status, Occupation, Birthplace, Father's Birthplace, Mother's Birthplace

Patrick Dacey, White, Male, 28, Married, Plumber, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland
Catharine Dacey, White, Female, 24, Married, Keeping House, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland
Mary L. Dacey, White, Female, 1, Daughter, New York, Ireland, Ireland
John T. Dacey, White, Male, 2/12, Born April, Son, New York, Ireland, Ireland
Mary Mckern, White, Female, 16, Niece, Domestic Servant, Ireland, Ireland, Ireland

Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: New York City, New York, New York; Roll: 884;
Family History Film: 1254884; Page: 203D; Enumeration District: 351; Image: 0122.
____

The 1877 marriage index for Patrick and Catherine notes that Patrick’s parents were Lawrence Deacy and Mary Oats. I went to the IFHF website to see if I could find their marriage index, as well as the baptism index for Patrick, and any other children Lawrence and Mary had in Ireland.

I uncovered what I believe to be their marriage index, showing that Lawrence Dacey and Mary Oats were married in the Crossboyne & Tagheen Catholic Parish, County Mayo, in 1832:

1 match for the search criteria: Dacey (plus variants) Lawrence 1832 Parish: CROSSBOYNE & TAGHEEN RC PARISH (RC)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Mayo
Surname: Dacey
First Name: Lawrence
Spouse's Surname: Oats
Spouse's First Name: Mary
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1832

Parish/District: CROSSBOYNE & TAGHEEN RC PARISH (RC)
____

Next I looked for IFHF indexes of any children that Lawrence and Mary had baptized in the Crossboyne & Tagheen Catholic Parish, but found none. After further research however, I found that Lawrence and Mary had 8 children baptized in the nearby Mayo Abbey Parish. To see a Catholic Parish map for County Mayo, go to:
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/ma...

The Tagheen & Crossboyne Parish is located in the southeast portion of the map. Just above it, on the border of the parish to the northwest, is the Mayo Abbey Parish.

The baptism indexes for the Dacey children in Mayo Abbey begin in 1842, 10 years after Lawrence and Mary were married.

Information at the IFHF shows that the Crossboyne & Tagheen Catholic baptisms begin in 1825, while the parish marriages start in 1791. The Mayo Abbey Catholic baptisms begin in 1841, while the marriages commence also begin in

Irish marriages traditionally took place in the bride’s parish. I’m surmising that Mary Oats lived in a townland served by the Crossboyne & Tagheen Catholic parish, and that soon after they married she and Lawrence moved to a townland served by the Mayo Abbey Catholic Parish. That’s one reason, I believe, why I didn’t find the baptisms of their children in the Crossboyne indexes, and why baptism records for their children don’t exist until 1842, a year after the start of the Mayo Abbey baptisms and marriages.

The names of the children baptized in the Mayo Abbey Parish are: Bridget (1842); John (1845); Ann (1846); Honora (1849); Patrick (1850); another child named John (1852); Laurence (1854); and Margaret (1856).

Because there are two baptism indexes for children named John, the first-born would have died between the year of his birth in 1845 and 1852, the year the second child named John was baptized.

The IFHF baptism indexes were somewhat of a challenge to uncover, as the search engine didn’t accept the surname Deacy for the father Laurence’s surname, probably because surname Dacey is listed after the first name of each child. This means that in the “Father’s Surname” field in the indexes that follow, the name Deacy is left blank:

1 match for the search criteria: Dacey (plus variants) Bridget 1842 Parish: MAYO ABBEY RC PARISH (RC)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Mayo
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name: Laurence
Mother's Surname: Oats
Mother's First Name: Mary

Year: 1842

Parish/District: MAYO ABBEY RC PARISH (RC)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Dacey (plus variants) John 1845 Parish: MAYO ABBEY RC PARISH (RC)

Father's Surname:
Father's First Name: Larry

Year: 1845

____

1 match for the search criteria: Dacey (plus variants) Ann 1846 Parish: MAYO ABBEY RC PARISH (RC)

First Name: Ann
Father's Surname:

Year: 1846

____

1 match for the search criteria: Dacey (plus variants) Honora 1849 Parish: MAYO ABBEY RC PARISH (RC)

First Name: Honora
Father's Surname:

Year: 1849

____

1 match for the search criteria: Dacey (plus variants) Patrick 1850 Parish: MAYO ABBEY RC PARISH (RC)

Father's Surname:

Year: 1850

____

1 match for the search criteria: Dacey (plus variants) John 1852 Parish: MAYO ABBEY RC PARISH (RC)

Father's Surname:

Year: 1852

____

1 match for the search criteria: Dacey (plus variants) Laurence 1854 Parish: MAYO ABBEY RC PARISH (RC)

First Name: Laurence
Father's Surname:

Year: 1854

____

1 match for the search criteria: Dacey (plus variants) Margaret 1856 Parish: MAYO ABBEY RC PARISH (RC)

First Name: Margaret
Father's Surname:

Year: 1856

____

Next I looked for Laurence/Lawrence Dacey in Griffiths Valuation. The Mayo Abbey Catholic parish was situated within the Civil Parish of Mayo, and that’s where I found Lawrence Deacy, leasing a house, “offices” and land in a place called Mayo Parks, from an Immediate Lessor named Robert Phair.

Griffiths Valuation for County Mayo was completed by 1856, the year that Lawence and Mary’s daughter Margaret was baptized.

See the Griffiths Valuation entry below:

No. and Letters of Reference to Map: 2 a
Civil Parish: Mayo
Townland: Mayo Parks
Occupier: Lawrence Deacy
Immediate Lessor: Robert Phair
Description of Tenement: Land, house, and offices
Area of Land: 1 Acre: 1 Roods: 4 Perches
Rateable Annual Valuation of Land: 15 Shillings
Rateable Annual Valuation of Buildings: 10 Shillings
Total Annual Valuation of Rateable Property: 1 Pound, 5 Shillings
____

Griffiths Valuation shows that Lawrence Deacy leased a little over 1 acre of land from Robert Phair. The land was valued at 15 Shillings. He also leased a house and offices. An office in a Griffiths Valuation record was a type of outbuilding such as a shed, stable, blacksmith shop, barn, etc. The house and offices were valued at 10 Shillings. The total valuation of the land, house, and outbuildings was 1 Pound and 5 Shillings. Because the valuation of the property was below 5 Pounds, Lawrence did not have to pay a percentage of the value of the property toward taxes. The tax would have been paid by Robert Phair.

I then located yet a second Griffiths Valuation entry for Lawrence Deacy. In this valuation he leased over 16 acres of land in the townland of Kilbride, Civil parish of Mayo, from Lord Clanmorris. Lawrence probably farmed this land, which was valued at 11 Pounds and 10 Shillings:

No. and Letters of Reference to Map: 15
Civil Parish: Mayo
Townland: Kilbride
Occupier: Lawrence Deacy
Immediate Lessor: Lord Clanmorris
Description of Tenement: Land
Area of Land: 16 Acre: 0 Roods: 6 Perches
Rateable Annual Valuation of Land: 11 Pounds, 10 Shillings
Rateable Annual Valuation of Buildings: 0
Total Annual Valuation of Rateable Property: 11 Pounds, 10 Shillings
____

I found yet a third Griffiths Valuation entry for Lawrence Dacy in the townland of Oory, Civil Parish of Tagheen. This is the parish where the Catholic Parish of Crossboyne & Tagheen was located. If you find the entry for Lawrence at the Ask About Ireland website, you’ll see that he and six other occupiers had leased over 300 acres in common from a man named James Browne. The names of these other occupiers were Nicholas Colloran, Michael Dacy, Daniel McDonagh, John Oats, Catherine Mahon, and John McDonnell.

Michael Dacy was likely related to Lawrence, and John Oats likely related to Lawrence’s wife Mary.
The valuation shows that each of the 7 occupiers also leased a house, while Nicholas Colloran, Daniel McDonagh, John Oats, and John McDonnell had leased “offices.”

The valuation shows that the land that Lawrence Dacy had leased was valued at 2 Pounds and 2 Shillings, while his house was valued at 5 Shillings. The total valuation for his property was 2 Pounds and 7 Shillings:

No. and Letters of Reference to Map: 4 f
Civil Parish: Tagheen
Townland: Oory
Occupier: Lawrence Dacy
Immediate Lessor: James Browne
Description of Tenement: Land and house
Area of Land: 300 Acres: 3 Roods: Perches: 25
Rateable Annual Valuation of Land: 2 Pounds, 2 Shillings
Rateable Annual Valuation of Buildings: 5 Shillings
Total Annual Valuation of Rateable Propterty: 2 Pounds, 7 Shillings
____

Griffiths Valuation shows that Larence Deacy/Dacy had been the occupier of two houses, one in Mayo Town Parks and one in the townland of Oory. I believe these two entries, as well as the entry for Kilbride, may pertain to the same Lawrence Deacy. In Griffiths Valuation if a person paid for the leasehold, even if he didn’t live in the house, he was still listed as the “Occupier.” Because Lawrence and Mary’s children were baptized in the Mayo parish, I am guessing that he and his family were living in the household in Oory, rather than in Mayo Town Parks, but I could be wrong about that, however.

To see a modern day map of Oory, County Mayo, go to: http://tinyurl.com/7vmh4ar

The marriage of Patrick Deacy and Catherine Burke shows that Catherine’s parents were Thomas Burke and Ann Barton. I looked for Catherine’s birth or baptism records at both the LDS and IFHF websites, but didn’t find them. I also looked for the marriage of Thomas Burke and Ann Barton in the U.S. and Ireland, but again came up empty. It’s possible I may have missed finding Catherine’s birth or baptism, and Thomas and Ann’s marriage. I also looked for Catherine in the 1870 census for New York City, but because Burke is a common Irish name found in New York during that time period, I couldn’t identify her.

Going back to the 1902 marriage for David Laurence Dacey and Alice Pearl Howarth, the LDS index shows that Alice’s parents were John H. Howarth and Jennie Dennick. I found the LDS marriage index for John Henry Howarth and Jennie Wilson Dennick. They were married in Manhattan, New York on 8 December 1881. The index also shows that John’s parents were Charles Henry Howarth and Elizabeth Levings, and that Jennie’s parents were Leonard George Dennick and Clarinda Howard:

"New York, Marriages, 1686-1980," John Henry Howarth, 1881

Groom's Name: John Henry Howarth
Groom's Birth Date:
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age:

Bride's Name: Jennie Wilson Dennick

Bride's Birth Date:
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age:

Marriage Date: 08 Dec 1881

Groom's Father's Name: Charles Henry Howarth
Groom's Mother's Name: Elizabeth Levings

Bride's Father's Name: Leonard George Dennick
Bride's Mother's Name: Clarinda Howard

Groom's Race:
Groom's Marital Status:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00133-9System Origin: New_York-ODM
Reference Number:

Source Film Number: 1562500 = Manhattan (New York City) marriage records, 1866-1937:
Certificates no. 8001-9000 1881

Source Citation
pal:/MM9.1.1/F63K-BK5 : accessed 25 May 2012), John Henry Howarth, 1881.
____

The marriage record for John and Jennie can be found in LDS microfilm number 1562500. You can order this film online at: https://familysearch.org/films/lookup/products/view/film/156...

Next I found Charles and Elizabeth Howarth, as well as their son John, and John’s children, Alice and Charles Howarth in the 1900 census, living in an address of 803 Amsterdam Avenue, New York. The elder Charles Howarth is shown to be 66 year old, born in New York in February of 1834, married 44 years, and employed as a mason. His father was born in New York and his mother in England. The census shows he rented his dwelling. His 62 year old wife Elizabeth was born in March of 1838 in New York. She had 1 child, with that child still living. Her parents were also born in New York. Their son John (Alice’s father), was born in New York in June 1856 and listed as a 43 year old widower. He is shown to have had 2 children, with 2 children still living. He was employed as a bricklayer. His 16 year old daughter Alice is listed as Charles Howarth’s granddaughter. Alice was born in March of 1884 in New Jersey, and had been employed as a saleslady. When the census was taken she had been unemployed for 2 months. Her 14 year old brother Charles was born in New Jersey in May of 1886. He is listed as a student.

Also in the household is Charles Howarth’s sister-in-law, 55 year old widow Mary Riley, born in New York in July of 1844. Her parents were also born in New York:

1900 United States Federal Census

Home in 1900: 803 Amsterdam Avenue,

Manhattan, New York, New York
[New York]

Name, Relation, Color, Sex, Date of Birth, Marital Status, Number of Years Married, Mother of How Many Children, Number of Children Stll Living, Place of Birth, Place of Birth of Father, Place of Birth of Mother, Occupation, Months Not Employed, Home Owned or Rented

Chas Howarth, Head, W, Male, Feb. 1834, 66, Married 44 years, New York, England, New York, Mason, Rented
Elizabeth Howarth, Wife, White, Female, March 1838, 62, Married 44 years, New York, New York, New York
John Howarth, Son, White, Male, June 1856, 43, Widower, New York, New York, New York, Bricklayer
Alice Howarth, Granddaughter, White, Female, March 1884, 16, Single, New Jersey, New York, New York, Saleslady, 2 months Not Employed
Charles Howarth, Grandson, White., Male, May 1886, 14, Single, New Jersey, New York, New York, At School
Mary Riley, Sister-in-law, White, Female, July 1844, 55, Widow, New York, New York, New York

Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Manhattan, New York, New York;
Roll: 1105; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 536; FHL microfilm: 1241105.
____

The 1900 census shows that John Howarth had 2 children, but I found information at the LDS website showing that he and Jennie Dennick had 3 children.

In the first two indexes the child’s first name is not given, but the oldest of the two children, a female, was born on 11 May 1881 in Plainfield, Union County, New Jersey.

The next index, also for a female, shows the child born on 11 March 1883, in Plainfield. This may actually be the birth for Alice, though the 1900 census shows she was born in March of 1884.

The third index is for the birth of Charles H. Howarth, born in Palinfield on 8 May 1885. The 1900 census gives his birth as May 1886.

The indexes follow:

"New Jersey, Births and Christenings, 1660-1980," Unknown Howarth, 1881

Name: Unknown Howarth

Birth Date: 11 May 1881
Birthplace: Plainfield, Union, New Jersey

Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:

Father's Name: Jno. H. Howarth
Father's Birthplace: U.S.
Father's Age: 26y

Mother's Name: Dennick
Mother's Birthplace: U.S.
Mother's Age: 21y

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00831-4System Origin: New Jersey-EASy
Reference Number:

Source Film Number: 494194 = Records of births, marriages, and deaths of New Jersey, 1848-1900:
Births Hunterdon-Warren v. 11 1881-1882.

Source Citation
"New Jersey, Births and Christenings, 1660-1980," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/
pal:/MM9.1.1/FCGD-Q9B : accessed 27 May 2012), Unknown Howarth, 1881.
____

Film number 494194 can be ordered online from:
https://familysearch.org/films/lookup/products/view/film/494...

"New Jersey, Births and Christenings, 1660-1980," Howarth, 1883

Name: Howarth

Birth Date: 11 Mar 1883
Birthplace: Plainfield City, Union, New Jersey

Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:

Father's Name: John H. Howarth
Father's Birthplace: U.S.
Father's Age: 28y

Mother's Name: Jennie Dennick
Mother's Birthplace: U.S.
Mother's Age: 23y

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C02317-4System Origin: New Jersey-EASy
Reference Number:

Source Film Number: 494198 = Records of births, marriages, and deaths of New Jersey, 1848-1900:
Births Hunterdon-Warren v. 15 1883-1884.

Source Citation
"New Jersey, Births and Christenings, 1660-1980," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/
pal:/MM9.1.1/FCRW-XGQ : accessed 26 May 2012), Howarth, 1883.
____

Film Number 494198 can be ordered online from: https://familysearch.org/films/lookup/products/view/film/494...

"New Jersey, Births and Christenings, 1660-1980," Chas H Howarth, 1885

Name: Chas H Howarth

Birth Date: 08 May 1885
Birthplace: Plainfield, Union, New Jersey

Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:

Father's Name: John Howarth
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:

Mother's Name: Jennie Dennick
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I04759-9System Origin: New Jersey-EASy
Reference Number: Vol. 21

Source Film Number: 494203 = Records of births, marriages, and deaths of New Jersey, 1848-1900:
Births Morris-Warren v. 21 1885-1886.

Source Citation
pal:/MM9.1.1/FC2S-5BY : accessed 27 May 2012), Chas H Howarth, 1885.
____

Film number 494203 can be ordered online from: https://familysearch.org/films/lookup/products/view/film/494...

The index above for Charles shows his birth can be found under the birth records for surnames from Morris to Warren on film number 494203. This may be the wrong film number as the child’s name begins with an H. The correct film number in which the birth may be found could be 494202, which covers births in New Jersey for surnames Gloucester-Monmouth in v. 20, for the years 1885-1886.

Next I looked for the marriage index for Charles Henry Howarth and Elizabeth Levings, but didn’t find it. I also looked for the marriage index for Jennie Wilson Dennick’s parents, Leonard George Dennick and Clarinda Howard, but was unsuccessful in locating that as well.

Best Wishes Kathy.

Dave
per page

Find a board about a specific topic