Search for content in message boards

Johan Månsson

Posted: 1 Jul 2006 7:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Månsson/Monson
I am looking for the parents of Johan Månsson who was born Oct, 1842 may have been born in Säby, Jönköping. He came to America in about 1871. According to the 1900 South Dakota census, he had a sister, Anna, born in May 1837.

Re: Johan Månsson

Judy_Baouab (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jul 2006 10:39PM GMT
Well, before you find the parents, you need to find his parish of birth so you can look up who the parents were. This person has the right birthdate and last name and a similar given name. His place of birth doesn't match and he emigrated earlier than you said. These patronymic names are very common so I don't know if he is yours, but it is nice that the birthdate matches. Maybe?

From the Emibas CD, made from registrations in the Swedish parish to go to a foreign country:

Post 404991

Månsson, Johannes
Dräng (unmarried man)

b. 10/9/1842 in Hörja, Kristianstads län (Skåne)

Emigrated 5/7/1866
from Hörja 11, Hörja, Kristianstads län (Skåne)
to Amerika

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 31

Emibas migration file ID: Hörja L 1866 002

Dräng = farmhand.

Anna might be Hanna. Who knows? Remember how common these names are. You'll have to do some checking in the Swedish parish records and at the Swenson Center, among other places.

Post 418778

Månsdotter, Hanna
Flicka (unmarried woman)

b. 5/25/1837 in Vä, Kristianstads län (Skåne)

Emigrated 1852
from Krokaröd 3, Nävlinge, Kristianstads län (Skåne)
to Amerika

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 109

Emibas migration file ID: Nävlinge L 1852 004

Flicka = girl.

The Swenson Center doesn't have online records.

http://www.augustana.edu/swenson/

Judy

Bo Johansson (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2006 8:53AM GMT
I see no Johan (or Johannes or Jonas) with a father named Måns (or with surname Månsson) born 1842 in the Säby births C:7 1821-1849 (GID 251.39.71500).

"Emigranten" CD has one Johan Månsson from Säby:

Name: JOHAN MÅNSSON
Parish: SÄBY
County: F (Jönköping)
Port: GÖTEBORG
Date: 1871-07-28
Destination: HENRY
Fellows: NEJ (Alone)
Source code: 5:512:16644

I dont see him in the moving-out records for 1871 in Säby C:9 1870-1878 page 494 (GID 251.41.58400), so perhaps he left without giving proper notice to his parish. Or the Säby in the emigration record is an error, and he came from somewhere else.

// Bo Johansson

P.S. Are you sure about Jönköping county? There were parishes named Säby also in Malmöhus and Väsmanland counties.

Posted: 4 Jul 2006 6:11PM GMT
Surnames: Monson/Månsson
I only got Jönköping from the response to a previous request. It could very well be a different län. Does anyone have access to the church frecords for the other Säby parishes.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions