Search for content in message boards

Merritt

Posted: 23 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Jul 2001 8:20PM GMT
Surnames: Merritt, Nichols, Arnold, Blackburn, Best, Anderson
Gilbert Merritt and his wife Lucy Westcott emigrated to Ontario in 1828/29 from NS. They and 6 children settled in Kent Cty. with one daughter settling in Elgin Cty. The children were Chloe b. 1811 married Samuel Anderson, Elgin Cty., Nathaniel b. 1813 married Susan Arnold, Kent Cty., John b. 1816 married Sarah Ann Nichols, Kent Cty, James b. 1820 married Rebecca Blackburn,Kent Cty., Lucy Ann b. 1823 married Peter Arnold,Kent Cty., William b. 1825 married Elizabeth Best,Kent Cty., and Sarah Jane b. 1826 married Washington Best, Kent Cty. I would like to find descendents of this family to fill in the blanks of my research. Any help appreciated.

Arnold/Merritt, Kent Co, abt 1837

M.Keith Abel (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Arnold, Merritt
The Susan Arnold that married Nathaniel Merritt in Kent County is my first cousin 5 generations removed. She is the grandaughter of Friedrich Arnholdt and Martha Schauer who arrived in Philadelphia 1 Nov 1763 from Rotterdam. It is believed they came from a part of Germany near the Netherlands. They do not count as Loyalists since he was a pacifist but it was because of the Revolution that he moved first to Detroit and then across the river to Canada.

If interested I can supply a Gedcom with 2,353 descendants of Friedrich and Martha, 3,653 if you count spouses.

Of their children:
James b abt 1838 m Semira Ann Shaw, I record 68 Descendants
John b 1839 m Jane Allon Johnston, I record 0 descendants
Mathilda Ann b 1841, m John Henry Blackburn, 15 descendants
William no marriage recorded
Alonzo no marriage recorded
Thomas 1846, m Elizabeth French, 11 descendants recorded.

M.Keith Abel
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Susan Arnold

Posted: 24 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Dec 2001 7:48PM GMT
Surnames: ARNOLD

MR. ABEL: I just now found your message about Friedrich Arnholdt...I am indeed interested in getting the 2,353 descendents you have...I do not have a computer...this is a SONY web tv only...so would this be sent by E-mail? I believe through Christopher...I am related...my mother was an Arnold...is there a charge for this? If so, how much...I am 71 and do not know if I have the means for a big amount? Thank you...Martha

Re: Arnold/Merritt, Kent Co, abt 1837

Posted: 18 Mar 2002 8:05PM GMT
Edited: 24 Aug 2003 3:15AM GMT
Surnames: Arnold (German: Arnholdt)
My husband David J. Arnold is from Friedrich Arnholdt's line.
We wondered if anyone had a birthdate for Friedrich or his
parent's names. Let me know if you do. Thanks.

Posted: 17 Nov 2002 6:06PM GMT
Edited: 31 Dec 2003 3:15AM GMT
Surnames: Arnold
Elaine & David Arnold
I too am a descendant of Frederick Arnold of Germany(Pomerania, Prussia)
I have been doing some searching and nothing totally positive in actual records, but believe he was born around 1739.
I have his Will datedTenth day of February, eighteen hundred and seven in his own handwritting, witnessed by Wiliam McCrea, William Coll, and Herzekiah Willcox.
Also more info from the Gentleman who takes care of the Arnold Cemetery in Louisville, Kent.
If interested you can e-mail me at ltotten@cogeco.ca
Thank you Linda Iler

Posted: 17 Nov 2002 6:18PM GMT
Edited: 31 Dec 2003 3:15AM GMT
Surnames: Arnold
I am a 8th Greneration Grandaughter of Frederick Arnold of Germany(Prussia) born about 1739 and coming to America in 1763, Wife Martha Schauer Died in March 1773 in Maryland (according to German Reform Church records)
In his Will he refers to his Wife as Eve, some people have her name as Susan Snider, or Catherine Snider.
His Will is dated and signed February 10, 1807.
Would be very interested in comparing notes.
E-mail me at ltotten@cogeco.ca

Re: Susan Arnold

Posted: 18 Dec 2002 11:57PM GMT
Surnames: Arnold Shaffer Coates Ocoboc Booth Chase
Martha, My Grandmother was an Arnold.

Are you related to Thomas & Rebecca (LaDow) Arnold? They are my GGGGG-Grandparents.

/s/ Sally Chase

Posted: 20 Mar 2008 4:05AM GMT
Surnames: Merritt, Shaw
I'm of the Semira Ann Shaw and James Merritt Line (I think they would be my great great Grandparents), if you would like to add to our tree as well as fill in some of that line please feel free to contact me!

Eirinn Murphy-White

Posted: 27 Mar 2008 11:43AM GMT
Surnames: Merritt
Does anyone connect to William Washington Merritt s/o James Merrit and Rebecca Blackburn who married Ellen Crow? His daughter Nellie married Robert Merritt, a son of James Merritt. James is the b/o William Washington Merritt.

Please contact me if you do connect to this line. I am a Crow researcher trying to fill in the Merritt blanks.

Posted: 10 Apr 2011 2:05PM GMT
Surnames: crwo, weaver
Do you have anything on Phoebe Crow b 6-2-1820 who married Wm Weaver in Kent County, Ontario?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic