Search for content in message boards

Jeremiah Johnson and Rhoda Townsend

Jeremiah Johnson and Rhoda Townsend

Posted: 13 Aug 2002 1:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johnson, Townsend, Ludlam, Holden, Bryant
They were married in Cumberland Co. NJ, 6-2-1789. He died 11-8-1815. Rhoda was born in NJ. Their children were David, Ezra, Jonathan Townsend, Imla, Jeremiah Jefferson (our line), John Pyant Washington, and Rhoda Johnson. I suspect his parents are David Johnson, d. 1804 Cape May Co, NJ, and Sarah Holden, she died about 1800. David & Sarah were married in 1767. Their children were: Sarah, Jeremiah, Imlay, Martha, David, Daniel, Elizabeth, Ludlam, Anna and Hannah. I think this family comes from the Stites and Ludlams, but I don't have enough info yet. I haven't been able to go back on the Townsend line to find Rhoda and her parents, and ancestors. Our ancestor, Jeremiah Jefferson Johnson, was born. 3-11-1809 in Cape May Co. NJ. He married Mary Bryant (Briant) of NJ, 3-2-1829.She was born 11-13-1809, in NJ. They moved to Madison Co, OH, in 1830. Their children were Johnathan Townsend, Charles Bryant, Martha J, Thomas J, Daniel, Elizabeth Catherine, William Thomas (our line), Mary S, Jeremiah Jefferson Johnson, Jr. It was stated that Jeremiah (1809) had a half-brother Noah Garrison. Jeremiah and Mary Bryant Johnson moved to Warren Co., IL, in 1854, where she died. He married Jane Bell, and had James Allen, Harriet Ann and Lacey Johnson. Jeremiah died 4-14-1896, in Warren Co, IL. I am anxious to find the Townsend family that Rhoda came from, and more on the Jeremiah Johnson, son of David and Sarah Holden Johnson. If anyone has a lead on Mary Bryant I would like to get her ancestry. Thanks for any help! Janis Johnson.

Re: Jeremiah Johnson and Rhoda Townsend

Jeannette Babbitt (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2002 8:56PM GMT
Edited: 1 Aug 2006 3:43AM GMT
Surnames: Johnson
Janice, Please get in touch with me as regards Jeremiah Johnson son of David Johnson. We own the property here in Dennisville which Jeremiah bought from his sister Sarah in 1807. Sarah was gifted the property from her father David the day after Sarah's mother died. I know the Ludlam connection. Jeremiah on was the first postmaster in Cape May County (1802) at Dennis Creek. Please contact me via my e-mail address to exchange information. Jeannette Babbitt.

Jeannette Babbitt (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2002 4:02PM GMT
Edited: 1 Aug 2006 3:43AM GMT
Surnames: Johnson
Dear Janis,

Please contact me via e-mail regarding Jeremiah Johnson of Dennisville, Cape May County, NJ. I have information which will be of interest to you I believe. My e-mail address is jbabbit@comcast.net

Travis (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2005 6:40PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jan 2005 6:55AM GMT
Surnames: Dunfee, Johnson
Hello Jeannette

I come from this family as well. Through Elizabeth Johnson who married William C. Dunfee. Do you know who the parents of David Johnson were?? I have seen references to Ebenezer Johnson who served as Sheriff of Cape May Co., New Jersey in 1760. He also withessed a lot of docs for the Hand family. However have never seen any proff of this??

Would be interested in getting a scanned picture of your property, curious what it looks like.

Many thanks

Travis

aztar10@aol.com

Travis (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2005 6:45PM GMT
Surnames: Dunfee, Ludlam, Johnson
Jeannette,

If you havent seen these already, here is a list of deeds concerning William Dunfee and Elizabeth Johnson from the county clerk in Cape May:

This index contains reference to property transfers into a given name, and
had 4 entries for
William Dunfee.

1810 from David Johnson et ux Bk G Pg 159
1812 from Jeremiah Johnson et al Bk G Pg 406
1812 from John Pissant Bk G Pg 479
1812 from James Ludlam et ux Bk G Pg 515

Would like to compare info.

Travis

aztar10@aol.com

Posted: 8 Jul 2005 1:38AM GMT
Which members of the HAND family? Any Wright/Davis/Smith/Garrisons involved?
GINNY 2 vmartinez5946@aol.com

Posted: 22 Apr 2006 8:43PM GMT
Edited: 5 Dec 2006 10:02PM GMT
Surnames: Townsend, Corson, Somers
Hi Janis. I am interested in the Townsend family. The earliest TOWNSEND I have to Cape May is Daniel TOWNSEND who was born 1728 and who married Rebecca CORSON. Daniel's parents were Richard TOWNSEND and Millicent SOMERS. I am especially interested in finding the parents for Julia TOWNSEND who was born about 1840 in Cape May and who married Stephen Hand CORSON.
Cheryl C. Huff
ccoke1945@msn.com

LINDA PYANT (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2006 5:49PM GMT
Surnames: PYANT
I AM CURIOUS TO FIND OUT WHO THIS JOHN PYANT WASHINGTON IS. WAS PYANT HIS MIDDLE NAME OR WAS HE ADOPTED INTO THE WASHINGTON FAMILY BUT HIS ORIGINAL LAST NAME WAS PYANT?

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 2:49AM GMT
Here is a reply to all those interested in the Jeremiah Johnson posts, especially Jeannette Babbitt, and Janis Johnson. I am Duane Ream, a music professor teaching at Bob Jones University in South Carolina. My line descends from Jeremiah Jefferson 1809 to Jonathan Townsend 1830 to Fidella Melvina 1864 to her son Lorenzo Thomas Shipley 1902 and his daughter, Melva Ream (my mother), 1937. Mother regularly attends the Johnson reunion held in Clarinda, Iowa and has much information on this particular branch of the Johnson family. I would love to talk with any of you about the family. Thanks. Duane

Posted: 12 May 2011 5:20PM GMT
Well i don't know if this is true or not but my father always told me that Jeremiah Johnson was my great great Grandfather.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions