Search for content in message boards

Dona Ana Bend Colony, 1843

Dona Ana Bend Colony, 1843

Posted: 14 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jun 2003 9:56PM GMT
Surnames: Abillar, Benavidas, Bernal, Costales, Dabalos, Garcia, Lucero, Lujan, Melendrez, Olivarez, Perea, Rodriquez, Serna
The prefect of El Paso del Norte received the governor's order and published notice of his intention to establish the Dona Ana Bend Colony. Only fourteen settlers remained on the grant on April 16, 1843. They are as follows: Saturnino Abillar; Juan Jose Benavidas; Jose Maria Bernal; Jose Maria Costales; Gabriel Dabalos; Jose Ines Garcia; Francisco Lucero; Geronimo Lujan; Pablo Melendrez; Jesus Olivarez; Jose Maria Perea; Francisco Rodriquez, Ramon de la Serna; and one other whose name is unknown.

Dona Ana Bend Colony

CindyF (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Apodaca, Aranda, Banegas, Barela, Contreras, DeLaO, Flores, Garcia, Olguin, Orosco, Saens, Ybarra
Diane~
I was very interested in your post about the Dona Ana Bend Colony. It is my understanding that my ancestor, Manuel Banegas, was one of the original 13 settlers, but I have not yet personally seen any source documentation to prove or disprove this. The assertion has come to me from two relatives who to my knowledge do not know each other. Both men are great grandsons of Manuel who descend from two of Manuel's sons.

How can I learn more about the Dona Ana Bend Colony?

Thanks in advance!

CindyF
genie_research@hotmail.com

Dona Ana Bend Colony

Posted: 2 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jun 2003 9:56PM GMT
Surnames: Bareges, Barncastle, Melendrez, Reymond
Dear Cindy,

The reference I quoted is from A History of Mesilla Valley by Elizabeth McFie. It was a thesis paper at New Mexico A. and M. College in 1903.

The names are of those of the original colonists, however, there were several additional 'waves' of new immigrants to the colony.

Here are additional 'abbreviated' quotes from other sources -

"On January 9, 1844 the colonists petitioned the prefect requesting a distribution of the lands which they were entitled to receive under the regulations governing the colony... he personally went to the colony on January 19, 1844 and promptly surveyed the boundaries of the grant... he then proceeded to take a census of the colony... the census disclosed that the population of the colony had already increased from fourteen to two hundred sixty-one inhabitants. It showed there were forty seven families and twenty-two single men on the grant who were eligible to receive individual allotments of land in accordance with the Regulations of July 30, 1840."

"The prefect laid out forty-seven caballerias of agricultural land for the married men and twenty-two farm tracts for the single men. The original fourteen settlers were given the preferential right to choose their tracts. After the original settlers had selected their tracts, the new settlers were awarded their tracts at a public drawing. Each of the sixty-nine allottees received a residential lot. The prefect, on January 24, 1844, placed each allottee in lawful possession of the tracts which had been awarded to him, but no title papers were issued to the colonists at that time."

"...advised that the Dona Ana Bend colonists had not received title papers to their individual allotments... the prefect of El Paso del Norte, on January 22, 1846, authorized Pablo Melendrez to issue title papers to the original allottees. He continued to allot and grant land to the settlers who subsequently moved to the grant prior to the signing of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848."

The claimant's petition for recognition of the Dona Ana Bend Colony Grant was pending in congress when the Court of Private Land Claims was created. Numa Reymond, John D. Barncastle, Josefa Barncastle and Manuel Baregas, owners of certain interests in the grant, filed suit in the Court of Private Land Claims against the United States on July 26, 1892, for confirmation of the Dona Ana Bend Colony Grant. [Reference Reymond v. United States (Mss., Court of Private Land Claims, Records of the Bureau of land Management, Santa Fe, New Mexico), No 24.]

"...Manuel Baregas was one of the original grantees.'

Do keep in mind that an original grantee is not the same as one of the original fourteen settlers of the Dona Ana Bend Colony. If he was one of the 69 allottees in 1846 he would be considered an original grantee.

If you write to the Bureau of Land Management you should be able to tract down a copy of the suit filed in 1892. It would make very interesting reading and may answer your question.

Good luck.

Diane

info on Pablo Melendrez

Robert Barncastle (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: John D Barncastle, Josepha Melendrez, Pablo Melendrez
searching for info on the connection of John D Barncastle, his wife Josepha Melendrez and Pablo Melendrez. Any E-Mail addresses of county or state agencies who may be of assistance.

thank you for your assistance.

bob

Josefa Melendrez, daughter of Pablo

Posted: 7 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jan 2002 6:55PM GMT
Surnames: Melendrez, Barncastle, Garcia, Bowden, Thompson, Gomez, Carraico
Robert~

The 1870 census for Dona Ana County, pg. 168, dwelling 146, family 145
lists:

Barncastle, John, age 34, male, white, occup: Dry Goods Merchant

" , Josefa, 33, F, W

" , Emily, 2 F W

" , John 2/12, M W (born in April)
Thompson, Trinidad, 13

" , Eleanor, 10
Carraico?, Pularcion?, 19, Dom. Svt.
Gomez, Eugenia, 33, Dom. Svt.

The 1870 census, unfortunately, doesn't state the family relationships, so
who knows who these two Thompson girls are.

Also, with regard to whether Josefa Melendrez Barncastle was the daughter of
Pablo Melendrez, this excerpt is taken from Mary Jane Garcia's book
(regarding the recognition of the Dona Ana Bend Colony):

"Three interested parties who owned lands in the Grant filed suit in the
Court of Private Land Claims against the United States on July 26, 1892 for
confirmation of the Dona An Bend Colony Grant......The wife of John D.
Barncastle, Josefa M. Barncastle, who was daughter and heir to Pablo
Melendrez, claimed all of her father's lands located in the Grant."

Ms. Garcia also refers the reader to pg. 71 of "Spanish and Mexican Land
Grants in the Chihuahuan Acquisition" by J. J. Bowden, publ. in 1971 by
Texas Western Press, the University of Texas at El Paso.

You might also check out this link for the 1890 Veterans Schedule which has
an entry for John Barncastle:
http://nmgs.org/art1890cen.htm

I hope this information is helpful to you in your research.

Regards,

Cindy

response to Cindy Fahrback

Robert Barncastle (View posts)
Surnames: Josepha Melendrez
thank you for response on my inquiry. I am interested if Josepha was the daughter of Pablo Martinez and her ancestory. I will check out the materials and web sites you referenced. I also would be interested the 1870 census information on the Barncastle's you mentioned. We are likely related through your great-aunt Aurela Barela and my great-uncle John M Barncastle.

Robert (Bobby) Barncastle

melendrez

CindyF (View posts)
Surnames: Melendrez, Barncastle, Barela
Robert~

What exactly is it you are looking for? There are a couple of books about the history of Dona Ana County that you may be interested in:

*A History of the Mesilla Valley~1903 by Maude Elizabeth McFie (Bloom), publ. 1/99 by Yucca Tree Press, Las Cruces, NM
*An Ethnohistory of Dona Ana Village by Mary Jane Garcia publ. 1986 by Roseta Press, Las Cruces, NM

Both books contain information on the Barncastle and Melendrez ancestors you mentioned in your query.

My connection to the Barncastle family is through my
great-aunt, Aurela Barela, who married John Barncastle, the son of John Barncastle and Josefa Melendrez. My gedcom can be viewed at Rootsweb's WorldConnect:
http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?d...

Also, I have extracted the Barncastles from the 1870 census if you are interested in that info.

Cindy Fahrbach
dfahrbach@msn.com

Melendrez - "padrines"

Posted: 8 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jan 2002 6:55PM GMT
Gwynne~

Is it possible that what looks like "padrines" is actually "padrinos"? If so, padrinos are godparents.
Posted: 8 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2001 11:46PM GMT
Surnames: Melendrez
Cindy, Anselmo Melendres and his wife Luisa were listed as Padrines to my grandfather Emilio Pablo Lopez Padilla. Do you know what "Padrines" means?

Ybarra Family History

Leon Ceniceos (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: YBARRA

I am interested in Ybarra surname in Dona Ana County. My grandfather Juan Inez Ybarra came into New Mexico in 1870 to the Pinos Altos/Silver City area. He owned an ox cart and was originally from Casas Grandes/San Buenaventura area of Chihuahua. His wife was Simona Najera.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions