Search for content in message boards

FLANNERY / FLANARY, SMITH

FLANNERY, SMITH

Sharon Williamson (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was contacted by an online cousin with the information needed about these Watauga County, NC people.
Thanks, Terry Harmon!

Keep an eye on my site to learn about the details of this family, and others.

FLANNERY / FLANARY, SMITH

Sharon Miller Williamson (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Flannery, Adams, Hyatt, Smith
Elizabeth (Betsy) Flannery was the wife of Alfred, the youngest son of John and Esther Hawkins Adams. In Rebecca Dougherty Hyatt's booklet, "The Founder of Adams Name in Watauga County, NC" there is an article about George SMITH. In this article it states, "George SMITH was the son of Robert and Polly SMITH of Culpepper County, VA and the Grandfather of Betsy FLANNERY Adams." In "The Heritage of Watauga County, Vol. 2", it says George SMITH had a son named Abner. Who were his other children, if any? How is Elizabeth (Betsy) FLANNERY Adams connected to George Smith? Any help would be appreciated.

George and Elizabeth's Children

Posted: 26 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 10:22PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Earls, McElroy, Fairchild, Daugherty, Isaacs, Vanderpool, Eggers, Flannery
My George Smith was born in Culpepper County, VA. I don't know of any
siblings of his. His wife (Elizabeth Earls) was born in Granville County, NC and that
is where they married. George and Elizabeth lived in Surry County, NC
for a while. They were in the 1790 census. They lived in Ashe County,
NC from 1791 to 1811. Several of their children married during that
time and George and Elizabeth and some of the younger children moved
to Lee County, VA near Jonesville and they lived in that area about
20 years. In 1834 they sold the VA land and came back to Cove Creek,
Ashe County, NC. (now in Watauga County)

The children of George and Elizabeth Smith were:
1- Mary (b. 22 May 1777, d. in infancy)

2- Elizabeth (b. 25 May 1779: d. 20 Dec 1853) m. 22 Sep 1797
Archibald McElroy

3- Abner (b. 4 Jul 1781: d. 20 May 1850) m. Mehetable Fairchild

4- Susannah (b. 3 Oct 1783 in Warren County, NC) m. Nathaniel
Daugherty in Ashe Co. NC. They lived, and she died in Lee County, VA.

5- Martha (b. 25 Jul 1785: d. bef 1852 m. Mr. Isaacs about 1804

6- Absalom (b. 7 Apr 1787 d. Dec 1814) m. Nancy Vanderpool

7- John (b. 27 Sep 1788 in Surry Co., NC: d. 30 Sep 1793 in Ashe
Co., NC)

8- Sarah (b. Oct 1789; d. 12-Jan 1857: m. 28-Jun 1804 Hugh Eggers)

9- Nancy (b. 4 Feb 1795, Ashe Co., NC; d. 9 Feb 1823, Lee Co., VA.;
m. 1812/13 Daniel Flannery, as his second wife.

George Smith

Barry F. Smith (View posts)
Surnames: Smith
After I had written my first query I found your Watauga Roots post. I agree your George is not my George, son of Robert, but I bet they are related. I have traced my line back to a John Smith, wife Jane, living in Knox Co before 1795. John died in 1795, having his will probated in Knox Co. John had the following children: Nancy, Sally or (Sarah), Joseph, John, Robert, David, William, Jesse, Henry, and Betsey or (Elizabeth). If John lived about the same life span as his children, he would have been born between 1725/40. This would make it possible for him to be an older brother to your George. I know that Robert was born in PA and I have found one of Robert's brothers living in DeCalb Co., MO. He should be listed in the 1850 census. As soon as I can find someone to do a look-up I will know where he was born which will help determine where they were they were from. Also, John and Robert received their TN land through NC Land Grants after the RW. Next month I am going to Knoxville to the Knox County Archives where I will look up those land records. They may list additional family and where they originated. If you have access to those files and decide to look, you should look for land granted around an area of Knox County called Beaver Creek. Robert owned several hundred acres. I am not sure how much John owned.
I can send you a GEDCOM of my file, abt. 1300 names, or, if you use FTM, I use Family Tree Maker v.7, and I can send you a file from it.
Rather than take up space on the gen web site you may e-mail me if you wish.

George Smith (b.03-11-1746/47 d.04-30-1838)

Sharon Williamson (View posts)
Surnames: Smith, Earls, Flannery, Bryan
Thanks for your response. But your's must be a different George Smith because mine died in 1838. His wife was Elizabeth Earls and after posting my original question I have come to find out that George and Elizabeth Smith had daughters named Sarah and Nancy. As it turns out, I am descended from George and Elizabeth through both those daughters. Nancy married Daniel Flannery (Flanary) as his second wife. Nancy and Daniel had 2 daughters. One was Betsy (Elizabeth?) and the other was Tilda (Matilda?). Daniel died of Cholora while traveling by boat to a shouthern state and Nancy died not long after. Betsy was raised by her Smith grandparents (George and Elizabeth) and Tilda was raised by Flanary Grandparents in KY.

George and Elizabeth's other daughter, Sarah married Hugh Eggers and I descend from their line through their son Jehiel and his second wife, Elizabeth Bryan.

Check the link below for details of these lines.

George Smith

Surnames: Smith
Sharon
I have a George Smith, father, Robert, mother, Mary (Polly). Robert was living in TN in the 1850 census, Knox Co. Mary had died abt 1830 and he had remarried. George was also living in Knox Co. at this time along with his bro's, John and Adam. Adam was my gg-grandfather. He was born in TN in 1796. I know George was older. According to the 1850 census, Robert was born in PA, but his second wife was from VA, and I think John was born in VA. I would be interested in any additional info you may have. We might be able to make a connection
Barry

George Smith

Kate Roland (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Roland, Harmon, Teaster, Hicks, Smith, Fairchild, and, others

Sharon, I am descended from George Smith, born circa 1847 and wife Elizabeth. George came to Watauga about 1780, died April 30th, 1831 at age 91. I am descended through his son, Abner Smith, who married Mehetable Fairchild. Contact me if you wish to compare notes, but I don't have much more info on George than what I have shared here, though I do have data on the line of his son Abner, on through to present.

Re: George Preston Smith

Posted: 7 Sep 2001 7:15PM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2003 3:32AM GMT
Barry,

My gg grandfather, Geo. P. Smith was born 1804 Ky. and married Lucia Kimberlin (Lucy) Narramore , born 1804, married 1831 possibly Knox Co., Tn.

I have no record of Geo. P. Smith's siblings or his parents. For a time I thought he was connected to the Geo. and Rebecca Bowen Smith family of Ky., but can't make a connection there.

I would appreciate hearing from you on the above. I am up a brick wall.

Charlene Smith Lewis

Some relatives went to Texas, Ok. and Indiana, connected to Scarberry surname also.

Re: George Preston Smith

Posted: 9 Sep 2001 2:37PM GMT
Charlene
Now you have really have me screwed up. If you George Preston was married in Knox Co, then I will almost guarentee he is related to my Smith's.
He is what I have:
Robert Smith b. abt 1765, in PA, marries a Mary ?, is living in TN by the late 1780's. Has 6 children, Sarah, Catherine, Elizabeth, George b. 1791, Adam b. 1796, and John R.b. 1799.
Sarah m. David Bowman, from Washington Co., TN
Catherine m. Benjamin Manley, m. in Knox , but moves to KY.
Elizabeth m. Joshua Cole, in Knox, moves to KY.
George m. Elizabeth stays in Knox Co.
Adam m. Jane Smith, stays in Knox Co until sometime between 1850 and 1860, moves to Marion Co.
John R. stays in Knox.
Do you have any names such as Adam, John, or the girls names in your line?
Adam and Jane's 1st son was named Archie Preston. I can not find him after 1840. 2nd son George Fraker, 3rd son Elbert Sevier (my g-grandfather). I can not find any other Archie's, except my grandfather, Samuel Archie. The 4th son was named Robert Alexander, named after each grandfather. R. A. moved to TX after the CW, has several descendants named Preston. Adam and Jane's youngest son was Wyatt Addison. I can not find where those names came from either. Wyatt was killed in CW at Battle of Franklin near Nashville.
Adam and Jane's daughters were:
Mary Jane, named for Adam's mother Mary and possibly his grandmother who was a Jane ?
Melinda Emerline/Emerine. Do not know where those names came from. Possibly from Jane's side, but her mother was Catherine Lowen.
Martha Catherine, Do not know where Martha can from, but Catherine was Jane's mother's name.
A couple of other notes, just to make it more interesting.
I have posted Robert's will at <www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/tn/knox/knoxwill.htm>;
It makes note of a farm Robert purchased which is refered to as the Widow Bowen's place!. There is your Bowen name. I have not been able to learn much about it though. Next time I am in Knoxville, I will look up the deed to it.
The will next to Robert's, listed as John B. Smith could possibly be the father of Robert, but I am not sure because of the names Robert chose for his sons. The "B" in John B. is a mistake. I do not know how it got there. Just ignore it.
Later
Barry

Re: George and Elizabeth's Children

Posted: 19 Dec 2001 10:19PM GMT
Surnames: Smith Fairchild Norris
Hi
My line is number 3- Abner and Mehetable Fairchild Smith. Their daughter Rebecca married a Jacob/John Norris. do you please have any dates for this Norris man and who his parents were? thank you , Earlene
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions