Search for content in message boards

Sundby

Posted: 7 Jul 2011 4:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sundby, Mikkelsen
Looking for descendants of Charles Sundby and wife Ernstine (Mikkelsen)Sundby. We don't have any dates on Charles, but we know that Ernstine was born in Grenaa, Denmark on 28 April 1865 and died in Vejle 17 November 1913. They had three known children: Alice b. 1896 Helga b. 1902, and Charles (birthdate unknown). Alice and Helga immigrated to the U.S.--Alice in 1914 and Helga in 1925. Charles, perhaps, stayed in Denmark(?).

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Re: Sundby

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 10:24PM GMT
Not descendants, but some little bits and pieces for you re Charles-
Helga Sundby's 1925 passenger record gave her father as Charles Sundby living at Haraldsgade 2 in Vejle. Found him at that address on the 1925 census. He is listed as 'Carl Sophus Charles Sunby' born Sept 8 1869 in Dragor (Kobenhavn). Also in that household were Maren Hansine Kirstin born May 21 1868 in Barrit (2nd wife?) and Oda Else, born Aug 31 1919 in Aarhus. (I did look at Oda's birth record - she was born to unmarried Thora Marie Moller and adopted by Carl Sophus Charles Sundby and Maren Johanne Kirstine Hansine nee Hansen. And I checked Maren's birth record - 'Maren Johanne Kirstine Hansine Hansen' is her correct name.

Found a birth record for 'Carl Sophus Charles Sundby in the Skt Johannes (Kobenhavn) parish record. Born Sept 8 1869 to Jakob Helge Sundby and Marie Sophie nee Nielsen.
And found his family on the 1880 Census for Aagade, Kobenhavn

Helge Sundby 40 Maskinarbejder, husfader b. København
Sofie Marie f. Nielsen 37 Hans kone b. Gladsaxe, København
Charles Sofus Sundby 10 Deres søn b. København
Thor Sundby 9 Deres søn b. København
Emil Hakon Sundby 7 Deres søn b. København
Fanny Caroline Sundby 4 Deres datter b. København

Hope this helps,

J Murphy

Posted: 10 Jul 2011 10:57PM GMT
Just a couple more little tidbits:

Found them on the Copenhagen 1911 census (Aarhusgade op 102)
The family consisted of:
Charles Sundby b. Sept 8 1869 in Copenhagen
Ernstine Elisabet b. Apr 8 1866 in Grenaa
(moved into parish 1900 from Hull)
Alis Else b. Aug 22 1896 in Hull
Helga Sofie Karla b. Jul 14 1900 in Copenhagen (bapt. record Skt Johannes, op 41, says-I think- that Charles and Ernstine Elisabet Mikkelsen were married in St Paul's in Hull on Mar 20 1900)
Charles Thor Emil b. Nov 2 1903 in Copenhagen (bapt. record -Nazaret op 154- also notes parents wed in "parish Church 20 Mar 1900")

Also found them on the 1906 census (Trepkasgade op 52)
This only differences on this one were that Charles is not listed with the family (he is however listed on the 'Tillaegsliste' as having gone to England), and there is another son listed - Valdemar b. Aug 25 1892 in Brooklyn (?? that's what it looks like....)

Just out of curiosity I took a look at the English marriage records and found an entry for 'Charles Carl S Sundby' and 'Elizabath Ernstine ' married in Yorkshire East Riding in Mar 1900. (Vol 9d, pg 259)

Jo Murphy

Posted: 12 Jul 2011 1:49AM GMT
Thank you so very much for all of the valuable information that you have found for us. You have given us a number of new leads, and we really appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Posted: 12 Jul 2011 3:39PM GMT
You are very welcome. Are you familiar with the Arkiveronline site? If so, the opslag #s on my previous post should make the records easy to find. Or if you'd like me to forward copies of the records to you just send me a note with your email address and I'll send them to you. (Use Ancestry's 'contact member' option so you won't have to post your email address on the message boards)

Posted: 12 Jul 2011 4:34PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2011 4:35PM GMT
Thanks. We are learning to use that site, but the links would be helpful. I will use the contact member option. With the research you have done, you have helped us on the way to solving on longtime mystery about the child Valdemar, born in Brooklyn in 1892. On the 1901 census of Grenaa, Randers, Denmark, Valdemar Rasmussen is living with Ernstine's mother, Ane Sophie Rasmussen (married name Mikkelsen). We have been puzzled over his origins, and what happened to him after 1901, but now we know his location in 1906. We thank you very much!
Posted: 23 Sep 2011 7:02PM GMT
Hi,

Just another piece to your puzzle.

In the danish police records you find that Carl Sophus Charles Sundby was a sailor (styrmand).

1 nov 1902 he moved from Grenaa to Copenhagen to the adress Blegdamsvej 130.

1 may 1903 he moved to Trepkasgade 4 still in Copenhagen

1 may 1903 he moved to Nannasgade 4 still in Copenhagen

1 nov 1910 he moved to Aarhusgade 56 still in Copenhagen

1 nov 1912 he moved from Copenhagen.

Posted: 23 Sep 2011 7:07PM GMT
Hello again,
It seems that Carl Sophus Charles Sundby emigrated at the age 16 with the intention to go to Canada in march 1885.

Name: Sundby, Carl S. Ch.
Destination: Canada
Contract no.: 216800
Registration date: 9/3/1885
Last res. parish: København
Last res. county: København
Last residence: Kbhvn.
Destination country: Canada
Destination city: ?
Destination state: ?

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions