Search for content in message boards

George Kilbourne Roxbury and Rowley,MA ? c.1636-1640

George Kilbourne Roxbury and Rowley,MA ? c.1636-1640

Posted: 6 Feb 2008 8:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kilbourne, Moody, Barker
I have conflicting information regarding George Kilbourne. Does anyone know if there were two George Kilbournes living in MA in the 1630s 1640s?

This site http://www.stupakgen.net/Genealogy/Spencer/02816_kilb.htm
says "George came to Wethersfield Connecticut, on the "Increase" in 1635. He was in Roxbury Massachusetts by 1636, and in Rowley Mass by 1639, being one of the first settlers there. He had a house on Bradford Street, and one acre of land. Most of our information on George and his descendants is from the Genealogical Dictionary of New England. Other sources say he did not come with the family in 1635, but on a later boat. One source (D.L. Jacobus) says he is not included in Thomas' will, and therefore questions whether he was a son of Thomas."

Does anyone have a copy of Thomas Kilbourne b Wood Ditton's will?

George is not listed as a passanger on the "Increase" in 1635 but I am unable to find the ship he did arrive on. Does anyone know this?

The info I have on George Kilbourne is that he is son of Thomas and Frances (Moody)Kilbourne. Born around Feb. 12, 1611 or 1612. Married Elizabeth (possibly Barker). Had 7 children, Joseph is my ancestor.

If anyone has proof of his connection to Thomas Kilbourne or info about 2 George Kilbournes I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Re: George Kilbourne Roxbury and Rowley,MA ? c.1636-1640

Posted: 9 Feb 2008 5:38PM GMT
There is no evidence that Thomas Kilbourne, settler of Weathersfield, left a will.

Following are notes from my file:

There is no record of the emigration of George, the son of Thomas and Frances (Moody), to New England . The passenger list for the ship "Increase", 15 April 1635 embarkation does not include a Geo Kilbourne. Some genealogists have raised the question whether the George who settled at Rowley , Mass. , was the son of Thomas and Frances (Moody) Kilbourne. See The Great Migration: Immigrants to New England, 1634-1635, vol. 4, by Robert Charles Anderson, Boston : 2005, The Great Migration Study Project, NEHGS, pp 148-151. See Hale, House and Related Families by Donald Lines Jacobus and Edgar Francis Waterman, The Connecticut Historical Soc., Hartford , Conn. , 1952; see John Dwight Kilbourne 1926- The Ancestry of Thomas Kilbourn (1578-c1637) of Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire , England and Wethersfield , Connecticut , Washington , D.C, 1991, c1992, endnote no. 217, p. 74-75. In The Ancestry of Sarah Stone, Wife of James Patten, by Walter Goodwin Davis, Portland ME, Southworth Press, 1930, page 95, George Kilbourn is left unattached; i.e., there is no reference to George's parents and place of origin, other than Eng.; note that this book also contains a chapter on Thomas and Frances (Moody) Kilbourn, but this chapter does not include mention of the George who settled at Rowley.

Posted: 9 Feb 2008 8:53PM GMT
Surnames: Kilbourne
The following quotation is from page 150, under the entry Thomas Kilbourn, origin Wood Ditton, in “The Great Migration: Immigrants to New England 1634-1635,” Volume IV, by Robert Charles Anderson, FAGS. 2005 Boston : Great Migration Study Project, New England Historic Genealogical Society.

“CHILDREN: … iv GEORGE KILBOURN, bp. Wood Ditton 12 February 1611/2; no further record. (He was not the George Kilbourn who had settled at Roxbury and Rowley [Hale, House 653; Sarah Stone Anc 95].)”

Posted: 11 Feb 2008 2:33AM GMT
Thank you for this information, dnkilburn. I am lead to believe, then, that George Kilbourn of Rowley is not the son of Thomas and Frances Kilbourn from Wood Ditton, England. Therefore, does anyone have any other information about George from Rowley or am I stuck at a dead end? I read somewhere, I forget where, that all Kilbourns in America are descendants of Thomas and Frances from Wood Ditton. This must not be correct then.? Is it possible that my George (hehe he's mine now ;)) is a descendent of one of Thomas' brothers or uncles? Is there any information surrounding those branches of the Kilbourn family?

Posted: 27 Dec 2011 5:36PM GMT
Since things are conflicting, I like to believe this-
Maine A History Volume 5, when talking about Thomas and Frances they write "They were probably preceeded to America by there second son George... "George Kilborn came to the New England Colonies prior to 1638" They then go thru the Roxbury to Rowley 1640 freeman thing.

Posted: 5 Mar 2012 3:02PM GMT
Surnames: Kilbourne
In the book “The Ancestry of Thomas Kilbourn (1578-c1637) of Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire,England and Wethersfield, Connecticut” by John Dwight Kilbourne, there is an endnote referring to George Kilbourn, son of Thomas and Frances (Moody) Kilbourn. The endnote includes the following information.

Thomas Kilbourn who settled at Wethersfield had a brother John Kilbourn Jr. Their father, John Kilbourne Sr., in his will left his son John Jr. lands lying in Stragwell [Stradishall], Suffolk. According to the will of James Barker of Rowley, Massachusetts, he [James Barker] was born “in Stragwell in Low Suffolk in Old England.“ “James Barker referred in his will to his ‘brother George Kilbourne.‘ This presents the interesting possibility that George Kilbourne of Rowley may have been an (undocumented) son of 21 John1 Kilborn of Stradishall and Chettisham.”
per page

Find a board about a specific topic