Search for content in message boards

Steinbach in Wisconsin

Steinbach in Wisconsin

Posted: 9 Apr 2009 1:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Steinbach, Poncelet, Possley
My gggmother Magdaline Steinbach married Josephi Poncelet (Joseph Possley) in Clemency, Luxembourg. They arrived in NY in July 1845 on the ship Silvanus Jenkins and settled in Holy Cross and New Holstein,WI. I also have records showing Anna Steinbach married Nicholas Poncelet during this same time period and same locations in Luxembourg and also settled in Holy Cross, WI. I do not have parents showing for my Steinbach or Poncelet families to connect them yet, but it appears they might be brothers who married sisters ... or cousins or ??? and came to Wisconsin at the same time. Can anyone help me with this puzzle?

Re: Steinbach in Wisconsin

Posted: 5 Aug 2011 3:06AM GMT
Surnames: Steinbach (Steinbag), Longly, Poncelet, Eishen
Hi: I was in Belgium, Wisconsin for one day of research this week at the Luxembourg American Cultural Research Center and Museum. I believe my Nicolas Steinbach and your Magdaline Steinbach are siblings. An elderly priest in Milwaukee left a typed family group sheet in the "Steinbach Folder" at this research center. He had researched this family for many years and is now in his 90's living in a retirement home. Wish I could get ahold of his research notes. According to this page, their father is Pierre Steinbach (Steinbag), son of Francois and Marie (Eischen) Steinbag, born 7 Nov 1779 in Barnish, Belgium. Pierre married 19 Nov 1802 in Autelbas, Belgium to Angela Boltgen, daughter of Jean and Marie Boltgen. She was born 12 Feb 1775 in Autelbas, Belgium. The children were born in Barnish, Belgium.

1. Madaleine, born 8 Mar 1804; died 18 Dec 1874 in the town of Belgium, Ozaukee Co., Wisconsin. she married 24 Jan 1838 in Clemency, Luxembourg, Joseph Poncelet, son of Henri and marie (Genin) Poncelet. Joseph was born 18 Oct 1811 in Battencourt, Belgium and died 31 Mar 1901 in the town of New Holstein, Calumet Co., Wisconsin. Buried at Holy Cross, Wisconsin.

2. Nicolas, born 27 Oct 1806; died 12 Mar 1864 at Holy Cross, Wisconsin. Married Barbara Longly. (I have Nicolas' probate records from the Probate Court of Ozaukee Co., Wisconsin giving date of death 10 Feb 1864. Inventory of his Estate was taken late Feb and will entered into Probate records in early March 1864. His tombstone photo gives incorrect date of death.) He is my ancestor.

3. Francois, born 11 Feb 1809; died___________.
Married 16 Feb 1836 to Marie Catherine Poncelet, daughter of Henri and Marie (Genin) Poncelet. She was born 29 Jul 1809 in Battincourt, Belgium; died 3 Apr 1861. Buried in St. Mary Cemetery, Belgium, Wisconsin.

4. Michel, born 24 Jul 1811; died 4 Mar 1812 in Barnich, Belgium.

5. Anne, born 25 Dec 1812; died 20 Jan 1898 at Bird island, Mn. Buried in St. Mary Cemetery, Bird island, Mn.
Married at Holy Cross, Wisconsin to Nicolas Poncelet, son of Henry and Marie (Genin) Poncelet. He was born 10 Mar 1814 in Battincourt, Belgium; died 14 May 1890 in Town of Belgium, Wisconsin. Buried at Holy Cross, Wisconsin.

6. Pierre, born 26 Jun 1816

No proofs were offered for this information. We will have to document the events.

Debbie

Posted: 5 Aug 2011 10:53PM GMT
Oh my, I believe we do belong in the same Steinbach family!!! I have only had a feeling of a possible connection of my Madgdalena Madeleine Steinbach and Josephi Poncelet (my 2nd greatgrandparents) with Anna Steinbach and her Nicholas Poncelet and then with a Nicolas Steinbach from Barnich, Belgium because my notes tell me he was listed that way along with "Marie Kirsch, a girl from Clemency" as a sponsor for the baptism of Joseph & Magdalena's son Nicholaus, You have definitely opened a door for more research ... thank you! How exciting to get this news. Did you copy any other information from the files? Do you think it is possible to contact the priest at the retirement center, or perhaps one of his relatives who may have access to his records? I would be happy to share any of my records with you. We can get in touch ofline to compare notes if you like. I look forward to hearing from you again.
Jeanne

Posted: 6 Aug 2011 1:56AM GMT
Hi Jeanne. My email address is ATLBILLDEB@COMCAST.NET.

The research center had a wealth of information on early Ozaukee County records. They had a card index of marriages and copies of the original Baptism records from Holy Cross Catholic Church and cemetery records from Holy Cross Cemetery.

They also have the early Probate Records from the Courthouse in Port Washington, Ozaukee Co. My Nicholas Steinbach's probate records (1864)contained a copy of his will listing all of his living children. I have a copy of the entire file.

The STEINBACH surname file contained newspaper obits etc. I made a copy of everything in the file.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find very much on Nicholas Steinbach's wife Barbara Longly. There was a "John Longly" living in Belgium, Wisconsin who may have been her brother. He was Godfather of her oldest son, John Steinbach who was born in Sept. 1846. The Godmother was Magdeline Steinbach. Maybe your Magdeline? Haven't had much time to go through all of the data I copied. We just returned home late Wed and I had to work on Thurs.

Regarding the elderly priest. I was told by the libraian that he is in bad shape... She said he gave all of his research to her husband. I asked her if I could send her a few charts to see if any of the data they have corresponds with mine. She seemed receptive.

Debbie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions