Search for content in message boards

J. C. Jensen family from Hjørring, emigrated 1898

J. C. Jensen family from Hjørring, emigrated 1898

Posted: 19 Feb 2011 3:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jensen
Hello!

My great-great grandfather Jens Christian Jensen (1869-1957) registered for emigration from Denmark on 11 May 1898, as I've discovered from the Danish Demographic Database online. The record there indicates that he was traveling "Indirekte," meaning he took a feeder ship to another European port before making the trip across the Atlantic. He was traveling with his wife Petrine Marie, and four sons Edward, George, John, and Christian, and the destination listed was Deloraine, Manitoba. Upon arrival the family must have immediately made their way south to Bottineau County, North Dakota, where Jens filed his first papers requesting naturalization on 1 Jul 1898.

His son Edward was my great-grandfather. In an interview on file at the ND State Historical Society, Ed tells a story about their trans-Atlantic travel; apparently they all became badly ill (he said he thought it was measles or smallpox) and had to be quarantined for three weeks on "an island."

With all that background information in mind, I'm trying to fill in a few missing pieces. First, what was their itinerary after leaving Denmark on the feeder ship? From which port did they actually leave Europe, and what ship did they take? Where was this quarantine island located? When and where did they arrive in Canada?

I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction for further research on all this; I'd love to be able to get the full story!

Thanks,
Adam

Re: J. C. Jensen family from Hjørring, emigrated 1898

Posted: 4 Sep 2011 12:37PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Edited: 15 Feb 2012 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: Jensen
Found this:
http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/View.aspx?dbid=1263&pa...

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935 about J Jensen
Name: J Jensen
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
Date of Arrival: 28 May 1898
Vessel: Scotsman
Search Ship Database: View the 'Scotsman' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: Quebec and Montreal, Quebec
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Roll: C-4541

Image 3:
Landed at Grosse Isle
1 child with measles
The whole Jensen-family of 6 persons has a mark "measles"

Image 7:
6 landed
17 quaratine
measles

About Grosse Island:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosse_Isle,_Quebec
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Sep 2011 8:30PM GMT
Thanks for sending this; it's definitely them! That helps clarify some of the details of their voyage.

Thanks!
Adam

Posted: 30 May 2012 3:40PM GMT
I have information on a john c jensen from denmark born 1865. He made his way to greenville mi and eventually to big rapids mi. worked in and then started his own store called j.c. jensen dry goods and notions. store was located in nisbett block on michigan ave in big rapids. Imigration date is listed as 1879 in the book found on google titled: "big rapids the water power city"

Posted: 7 Aug 2013 12:44AM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2013 1:08AM GMT
An old post but maybe it's okay to add a little anyway. It's a really good question that applies to a lot of Danish immigrants.

Here's the Danish emigration record mentioned:

EMIGRATION
Navn: Jensen, Jens Chr.
Stilling: Husmand (occupation)
Alder: 28
Bestemmelsessted: Deloraine, Can.
Kontrakt nr.: 98100
Forevisningsdato: 5/11/1898
Fødested: ? (birthplace)
Fødesogn: ?
Sidste oph.sogn: Vrejlev Sidste (last residence)
oph. amt: Hjørring
Sidste oph.sted: Vrejlev, Hj. A.
Bestemmelses land: Canada
Bestemmelses by: Deloraine
Bestemmelses stat: Manitoba
Skibsnavn: Indirekte
IDkode: I9899J1301

This registry was kept in Copenhagen and so the port of departure was Copenhagen.

Here is a description of emigration from Gothenburg, Copenhagen, and Oslo in the late 1800s:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:NGVPiMz...

From Copenhagen the family most likely took a ship to Hull, England. From Hull, they likely took a train to Liverpool. It was common for Danish emigrants to take a "feeder" ship and then a train to get to the large port of Liverpool. Typically we don't find records of these interim passages.

The family departed Liverpool as previously noted aboard the Scotsman. The Scotsman was probably the S/S Scotsman of the Dominion shipping line. (BTW here is a story about the sinking of the Scotsman the following year as it journeyed to Quebec):

http://www.norwayheritage.com/articles/templates/great-disas...

As noted this family arrived Quebec 28 May 1898.

By 1898 Quebec was well equipped with options for traveling further west. Travelers could journey west by train or by ship. A network of canals and locks had been built to ease the journey by water. Lots has been written about these transportation options. Most often no records are available online to document a specific family journey.

The information about the quarantine island is very interesting! :D
per page

Find a board about a specific topic