Search for content in message boards

Helfert/Rodig family descendants

Helfert/Rodig family descendants

Posted: 13 Apr 2013 3:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Helfert/Rodig
I am looking for family and descendants of the Helfert/ Rodig family. My mother's father gave her no information on his family and I am trying to get that for her now. If anyone is a family member or descendant please contact me. Would be wonderful to speak to you.

Thank you in advance,
Leigh
Connecticut USA

Re: Helfert/Rodig family descendants

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 5:18PM GMT
Lived where in the US? Any dates?

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 7:14PM GMT
My grandfather was born 15 March 1900....his name Franz Helfert. Got his U.S Natrualization in July 1941. Lived for some time in New York before moving to Connecticut. Died 9 October 1975. I am trying to locate any possible family anywhere.

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 7:40PM GMT
I have found immigration records for a Franz Helfert, born about 1900, who arrived into New York in 1923 and 1931, both times indicating he was born in Czechoslovakia (village name Alt Pohlau). The 1931 record indicates he is single, bound for his own home 1253 Lexington Avenue, New York. Gives his brother, Ernrst Helfert in Alt Pohlau as his next of kin at home. The 1923 record indicates he is married; gives his wife, Ella, in Carlsbad, Czechoslovakia as his next of kin; bound for his brother-in-law, Franz Liszka, 515 Second Street, Washington, DC.

A third record, as Frank Helfert, in 1939, gives the same village, spelled this time as Alt Rohhau; he is married and travelling with his wife, Olga, who is Swedish. He is a gardener by profession. Bound for his own home, 177 Bergen Street, Brooklyn.

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 7:52PM GMT
The parish records for Alt Rohlau in the Karlsbad District are available online:

http://www.fm-search.org/index.php?option=com_content&vi...

This book will have your grandfather's birth record (if I have identified the right individual):

http://actapublica.eu/matriky/plzen/prohlizec/8168/

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 7:53PM GMT
Olga is my grandmother and my mothers mother. Is there anyway to find out more on Ella ??? My mother knew nothing of her or ever heard about her.

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 3:11AM GMT
Eileen,

Thank you for all the information. How does one go about finding out information on Ella ?? My mother totally unaware her father was married previous to her mother. Where would I find her maiden name ? Family ? Where she was from? age ? birth date? Just a shock ......

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 12:51PM GMT
They will be in the parish records that I have identified for you. The database is in Czech, but the records are in German. The pages take a long time to load so it may be slow going. I was trying to get to your grandfather's baptismal record yesterday afternoon, but it was taking too long. I'll have another look today.

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 1:07PM GMT
Here's the record of your grandfather's baptism:

http://actapublica.eu/matriky/plzen/prohlizec/8168/?strana=1...

In German, in the old script. If you save a copy and post it back here, somebody should be able to help you read it. It confirms that his mother's maiden name was Rodig (with an umlaut over the "o"), and his father's name was Josef.

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 4:04PM GMT
Can you see if any family here in states? I apologize for all the questions as Im overwhelmed . All this information new as my grandfather never spoke of family let alone another wife.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic