Search for content in message boards

Bilauschek

Bilauschek

Posted: 26 Apr 2013 7:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bilauschek Reitinger Bartik
Hello

I'm trying to find information on my great grandfather (Joseph Frederick Bilauschek. He was born in 1881 in Vienna and he and his father (Joseph, born 1855 in Vienna) moved to England. We believe that his mother was Anna Bartik (and the name Reitinger also appears somewhere).

Despite trying various spellings of the name, I can't find very much out about either. I would really appreciate any advice from anyone.

Are there any other people searching this name out there? :)

Kind regards
Sarah

Re: Bilauschek

Posted: 3 May 2013 7:57PM GMT
In the 1901 census, Joseph Jr. (born about 1881) is living at home with Harriet, his mother noted as a widow. But in the 1891 census, Joseph Sr. is with Harriet, and Joseph Jr. is missing, altho' he was only ten years of age. Is Harriet a second wife who married Joseph Sr. after Anna's death, and Joseph Jr. did not come to join his father until he was settled in the UK?

Interestingly, Joseph Sr. and Harriet Edwards were not married until the quarter ending September 1894 in Chorlton, Lancashire. Getting a copy of the marriage record should provide the name of Joseph Sr.'s father and hopefully, a more exact place of birth.

Posted: 4 May 2013 10:20AM GMT
Hello and thank you so much for replying to my post.

Yes, Harriet was his 2nd wife (marriage took place after they were living together). We did get the marriage cert, but it didn't give us much to work on, other than birthplace Vienna.

What puzzles me is:

1) Why I can't find any record of JB senior's death (as Harriet was listed as widow in 1901)?

2) Why wasn't JB junior on the earlier census (presumably in Vienna until some time between 1891 and 1901?

3) I often wonder why JB senior came to the UK and when? Would he have spoken English (given that he was living/married to Harriet - English)?

So many questions and I don't seem to be getting anywhere finding any answers! :)

Posted: 6 May 2013 6:51PM GMT
Joseph Jr.'s death record may provide some clues:

Name: Joseph F Bilaushek
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1914
Age at Death: 33
Registration district: Fulham
Inferred County: London
Volume: 1a
Page: 350

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions