Search for content in message boards

Caswells in Quebec

Caswells in Quebec

Judith J (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2006 5:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Caswell Smith Stearns Morrill Webster
From Institut Genealogique Drouin Parish Registres , Registres des Protestanats Photographies au Greffe de Sherbrooke, Stanstead Methodist Church (repository NEHGS, Film #3191):

"July 2, 1868 Sarah, dau of late Powell(?) and Dorothy Morrill of Stanstead and the widow of the late Ezra Caswell of Caswellboro, born on the tenth day of November seventeen hundred and eighty-nine was baptized on the second day of July eighteen hundred and sixty-eight. W. R. Parker
witness: T.P. Smith
L. A. Smith"

This is an adult baptism. The witnesses are Timothy Parker Smith and his wife Louise A. (Caswell) Smith. I believe Sarah (Morrill) Caswell and deceased husband Ezra Caswell were the parents of Louise. Timothy Parker Smith was the son of Elijah Smith Jr and wife Cynthia Stearns. The Morrills are connected to the Batchelders of Stanstead who both migrated to Stanstead from NH through Danville Vt.

Re: Caswells in Quebec

ginette (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2006 10:46PM GMT
I don't know if there was a question here but i thought this site would interest you.
http://www.mesaieux.com
and go to English version.
Good day.

George Varney (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2006 12:25PM GMT
Surnames: Caswell Smith
From Births in the District of St. Francis 1815-1879: Caswell, Louisa Smith, born May 12 1831, baptized Aug 3 1867 at Stanstead Weslyan Methodist Church. Parents: Ezra and Sarah Caswell; spouse of Timothy Parker Smith; witnesses: L.P. Smith and Annie Pheber.

Posted: 27 Feb 2006 8:24PM GMT
Surnames: Caswell, Carswell, Whitcomb, Morrill, Holden,
Hello,

We are looking for records to confirm the birth of Benjamin Caswell/Carswell (1796 c Stanstead, Quebec – 27 Dec 1872, Renfrew County, Ontario) to Ezra Caswell (1766-1833) and Lydia Whitcomb (1772-1843). Benjamin Caswell/Carswell changed his surname from Caswell to Carswell and married Orphrice/Orpha Morrill in 1825 in Hatley, Quebec and had several children.

We are also looking for records to confirm the birth of Zeviah/Seveas/Sophia Caswell/Carswell 19 Mar 1834 in Stanstead, Quebec to Benjamin Caswell/Carswell and Orphrice/Orpha Morrill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

E. James

Judith J (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2006 6:01PM GMT
Surnames: Smith Webster Caswell Morrill
Do you know how the Ezra Caswell who married Sarah Powell mentioned this Stanstead Que baptism (adult baptism) relates to Ezra Caswell b 1766 and Lydia Whitcomb?

"CHRISTENING:

Quebec Institute Genealogique Drouin Parish Registers, Film # 3191 Registres des Protestants Photographies au Greffe de Sherbrooke, Stanstead Meth, New England Genealogical Society, 101 Newbury Street, Boston MA 02116.

"July 2, 1868 Sarah, dau of late Powell (?) and Dorothy Morrill of Stanstead and the widow of the late Ezra Caswell of Caswellboro born on the tenth day of November seventeen hundred and eighty-nine was baptized on the second day of July eighteen hundred and sixty-eight.
W. R. Parker
witnessess: T. P. Smith
L. A. Smith."

Louise Caswell and her husband Timothy Parker Smith witnessed the adult baptism which is very likely her mother.

Posted: 6 Jun 2006 9:03PM GMT
Sorry, I don't have any more information. Have you tried looking in: "Thomas Caswell of Taunton and His Descendants", by George F. Sanborn, Jr., Mayflower Descendant 40 [July 1990]:152-53?

Judith J (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 2006 8:17PM GMT
Surnames: Smith Caswell Webster
Thanks for the response. I don't really have access to it. I have often found that the Canadian families are omitted from these published genealogies. Do you happen to know if this Caswell family is included?

Posted: 23 Aug 2006 3:07PM GMT
Surnames: Caswell/Carswell
I too am looking for the family of Ezra Caswell/Carswell. We have a family tree of Benjamin Caswell/Carswell married to Orpha Morrill. If you have info to share we would appreciate it. Also if you need info we will help if we can.

Posted: 6 Dec 2009 10:01PM GMT
This is probably a bit late as your enquiry was in 2006,but never the less, I haVe an Ezra Caswell b. 1776 (Sept.) probably Hebron, Conn. the son of Nathan Caswell b.1740 Norwich Conn. and Hannah Bingham. This Ezra was a brother to Seth Caswell of Stanstead, Que.

Posted: 30 Aug 2011 8:23PM GMT
I am looking for more information on and particularly the parents of an Ezra Caswell born 1845 in Vermont according to a 1881 Census of Canada. He was residing in Stanstead, Quebec as a farm laborer. He later moved to Salem Massachusetts I believe. He was married to Charlotte C or E Linton and had 3 daughters Lillian, Minnie and Hattie S.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic