Search for content in message boards

tale of GreatGrandmothers from Austria?

tale of GreatGrandmothers from Austria?

Posted: 22 May 2013 10:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Well, I am on my search to try to uncover the mystery on my Mother's side of the family which seems to indicate that three, yes three Great Grandmothers were potentially from Austria, but have no way to know how to investigate further than what I know. How does my tree have three Great Grandmothers on my Mother's side?

Well, of course only two Great Grandmothers are in direct line to me. To start with, my Great Grandfather David Melamed married twice. First he married Rose Braunfeld (Austrian name?) that produced my Grandmother and another sibling. He then married Malhe in the United States after coming here and changed both their last names to Goldberg. Three Children were born from them. They listed all 5 children in the census as living under their roof and all from Austrian mother. The problem for me is that I am directly related to Rose Braunfeld and for what ever reason she never came to the United States. However, one sibling (my Grandmother) under Rose and David was born in Warsaw Poland (1902). Is this a check under Poland/Russia or a check with Austria for records relating to Rose Braunfeld? How does one check further for Austrian records?

The other Great Grandmother (on my Grandfather's side) is Bella Ashenfarb who I believe Married Isaac Opal - the Opal family that established the Hotel Opal in France. Since Isaac and his brother and other members of the family were killed in WWII or sent to concentration camps or something else, I'm not too sure how to check on Bella Ashenfarb as it relates to her supposed Austrian roots. Bella and Isaace gave birth to David Opal, my Grandfather. The name Opal most likely was changed/shortened to make sound more French appealing most likely from Opaletsky or Opalinsky or something like that.

Any info would be appreciated. I may start a new thread in the French section regarding the Opal side of the family.

Re: tale of GreatGrandmothers from Austria?

Posted: 23 May 2013 3:34AM GMT
David

Austria of old http://brainworker.ch/Oesterreich/Austria-hungary.png
You mentioned Warsaw, Poland so you might also want to post on Poland's Ancestry and http://genforum.com Poland board.
I suspect that your ancestors were Jewish than www.jewishgen.org

http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/pradziad.php?l=en&miejs...

www.familysearch.org
www.rootsweb.com/~polwgw/index.html

Posted: 23 May 2013 10:21PM GMT
thanks for the reply. yes, family is jewish on both sides. Malhe from petition for naturalization records came from what appears to be Kosmoatz, Austria. Is that the correct spelling for a place in Austria? Some of the typing on these old documents are hard to read.

Yes, I was thinking that Poland board would be a good place to ask some questions. Thanks.

Posted: 24 May 2013 12:44AM GMT
You're welcome.
Possible for you to attach a scan of the document? Of course only if it is handwritten. Were you able to locate his arrival manifest with the information that is on his naturalization intent & petition?
The spelling Kosmoatz, Austria wonder if it suggests a Galicia.Austria and not Austria of present.

Posted: 24 May 2013 11:17AM GMT
Hi David

Perhaps you would consider giving more detail, such as whether or not the immgrated (to the US?), birthdates, spouses names and capitalizing SURNAMES. This may help others see more clearly the names

Should we assume that Malhe is a surname? If so what is the given name? Where did they naturalize?

Robert

Posted: 24 May 2013 5:01PM GMT
The name "Melamed" appears frequently in the Galicia BMD database at Ancestry.ca, so that would seem to confirm in which area you should be searching. A portion of todays's Poland and the Ukraine were in Galicia.

Posted: 25 May 2013 10:40PM GMT
Not too sure which scan your asking for. I attached Mollie's Petition. You probably can get a better copy of it off of this website. Mollie of course is David Goldberg's second wife. His first wife (Rose Braunfeld) I believe never came to the United States and he married her under the name David Melamed. Therefore, on the US Census there is a record of 5 children, 2 from the first, 3 from the second marriage...but all of Austrian mother blood line.
Attachments:

Posted: 25 May 2013 11:13PM GMT
Well, this is why it gets confusing. Which surname is a real surname.

David MELAMED arrived 12 Nov 1904 from Liverpool England as port of departure. His birthday supposedly 15 Jan 1873 and listed as David GOLDBERG under Naturalization Records.

David MELAMED married Rose Braunfeld and had two children in Europe, most likely in Volina, Poland as one of the children, Belle lists Poland as her birth place. The two children were - Belle/a and Jacob. Both Bella and Jacob were sent by boat and arrived April 4, 1911. Bella was known as Beile Melamed but changed her name to Belle Opal when married David Opal.

David MELAMED changed his name to David GOLDBERG when he married Mollie/Mahle (Unknown SURNAME) and they had 3 children by the names of Bessie, Eva and Rose. Therefore, David GOLDBERG has census data under his new surname with 5 children. The census lists the 5 children as all Austrian mother(s) but leaves off the fact that 2 of the children are from a previous marriage. It appears as all 5 children are Mollie's by birth - which is wrong.

Mollie GOLDBERG has a birthdate of 15 April 1881
Rose BRAUNFELD - which I am directly linked to as my great grandmother (Belle, her daughter, is my Grandmother) has an unknown birthdate because there are no known records of her coming to the United States. However, if she had 2 children with David MELAMED, then there should be some kind of birth records or marriage records in Poland where one child was born or in Kovna, Russia where David MELAMED was born. The question is, where were David MELAMED and Rose BRAUNFELD married and lived as a couple or does it matter?

Posted: 27 May 2013 1:31PM GMT
If David arrived in 1904, there was no wife listed with him. I find it interesting that if David was naturalized in 1924, why was Mollie not at the same time? I believe the wife would have been naturalized with the husband if they were married at the time.

Have you found a marriage for David & Mollie, likely in New York?

When Beile (Bella) and Jacob (Jacow) arrived in 1911, they were in the guardianship of Leiber Schlecter. All gave their birthplace as Pesozuaje, Wolyn gub (gubernia), Russia. In this timeframe, this area was part of western Russia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volhynia

Posted: 27 May 2013 1:48PM GMT
http://www.kresy.co.uk/wolynlistofvillages.html

Town, District, County

Poczajow, Krupiec, Dubno

51 miles south of Lutsk; in 1900, there were 1,377 Jewish inhabitants. Today, this village is in the Ukraine (Pocayev).

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions