Search for content in message boards

Siblings in One Family Marry Siblings in Another

Siblings in One Family Marry Siblings in Another

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 6:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm having trouble when a brother and sister in one family marry a sister and brother in another family. This seems to be the cause of my tree display being messed up, with people randomly duplicated. What is the best way to handle these situations?

Re: Siblings in One Family Marry Siblings in Another

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 6:22PM GMT
Are you looking at your tree in Family View?

Family View is somewhat limited in the way it handles complex family relationships.

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 6:26PM GMT
Yes, I am referring to Family view.

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 6:36PM GMT
There's a thread here that explains it pretty well: http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.ancestry.ancsite/11446.1.1...

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 8:03PM GMT
Thanks for the link. It explains a similar problem (marriages between 1st cousins), but I don't see a solution.

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 8:42PM GMT
There is no "best way".

The people are not themselves being duplicated. They are merely being shown in the different 'slots' they occupy in the family tree.

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 8:46PM GMT
I'm sorry - I guess I was not clear.

Make sure you have not entered any of those 4 people twice - there should be only 1 entry for each name in your List of All People.

There is no solution - the simplistic graphic representation is a reflection of the double relationships.

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 3:01PM GMT
The graphics viewing problem apart, this relationship of when siblings of one family marry siblings of another family creates all sorts of interesting situations.
Such as: When the children of two brothers (of say a Smith family) marry two sisters (of say a Jones family) then their children are parallel (or ortho) first cousins and they also are double first cousins. Genetically these children inherit from the same gene pool as if they were siblings.
Now if a Smith man marries a Jones woman (from above example families), then their children are also double first cousins, but they are cross (not cranky!) cousins.
Isn't genealogy fun?
--Myra
per page

Find a board about a specific topic