Search for content in message boards

John Wood & wife Agnes, Virginia in the 1700s

John Wood & wife Agnes, Virginia in the 1700s

Posted: 5 Feb 2010 10:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wood, Scarbrough
Seeking information on John WOOD and wife Agnes. They were in Virginia in the mid-1700s, possibly Bedford County. They had a daughter called Mahala Emily born about 1754 who married William SCARBROUGH, whose father, Robert, was a Quaker. It's possible the WOODs might have also been Quakers.

After their marriage, William and Emily WOOD SCARBROUGH went to Tennessee, and before 1800 had become Methodists. William died in 1830, and Emily in 1847 in Anderson County, according to their son's family Bible.

Thank you!

Re: John Wood & wife Agnes, Virginia in the 1700s

Posted: 18 Jul 2010 2:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wood, George, Price, Renno/Reneau, Smith
Juli,
I am a descendant of a Rev. Richard Wood, b. 1756 who was born in Mecklenburg Co., VA and his wife, Mary Price.
Their son, James is the line from which I descended. James was born in VA circa 1778, moved to SC as a child and later migrated with his family to NC territory. By 1785 he settled in Greene Co (later Sevier and Jefferson Counties, TN).James had three wives, the first who must have died around 1807, leaving him with 3 children.James married Polly Renno/Reneau Oct. 14, 1807 in Jefferson Co, TN. After Polly's death, James married a Tabitha. These children were named Richard, b. 1803, Polly P. Wood, b. 1805 (married a Robert Gaut, 1822) and Wm. T. Wood, b. 1807 and married to Jane George July 2, 1831. Wm. T. Wood and Jane George are my gggrandparents. Their son, Silas M. Wood also had a son named Henry Davis Wood, b. 1857 who is my grandfather on my maternal side. The Wood and George familes were prominent in eastern TN as Rev. Wood was a Baptist minister in the Providence Baptist church which he founded. The Wood family and George families lived near each other and owned property on an island in the French Broad River. The George family were Quakers, having descended from Edward George Sr., who was born in PA in Berks Co., where Edward married a Martha Woolaston. Their son, Silas George was the father of Jane George, my gggrandmother. Both Jane and Wm. T. left east TN and lived in Bradley Co., Cleveland, TN in the 1850s on. I have other data on both family and it sounds plausible to me that our families may be related. I am happy to share information with you. I know that the Wood family descendants lived in other states such as Indiana, Illinois, and perhaps Arkansas. What is your lineage? If you wish, I can invite you to view my family site on Ancestry.com. Let me know so I can invite you. I need your name and email address, please. I can be contacted here or at zenogo1@yahoo.com. Zenna Smith
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions