Search for content in message boards

John Wood & wife Agnes, Virginia in the 1700s

John Wood & wife Agnes, Virginia in the 1700s

Posted: 5 Feb 2010 10:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wood, Scarbrough
Seeking information on John WOOD and wife Agnes. They were in Virginia in the mid-1700s, possibly Bedford County. They had a daughter called Mahala Emily born about 1754 who married William SCARBROUGH, whose father, Robert, was a Quaker. It's possible the WOODs might have also been Quakers.

After their marriage, William and Emily WOOD SCARBROUGH went to Tennessee, and before 1800 had become Methodists. William died in 1830, and Emily in 1847 in Anderson County, according to their son's family Bible.

Thank you!

Re: John Wood & wife Agnes, Virginia in the 1700s

Posted: 18 Jul 2010 2:47PM GMT
Surnames: Wood, George, Price, Renno/Reneau, Smith
Juli,
I am a descendant of a Rev. Richard Wood, b. 1756 who was born in Mecklenburg Co., VA and his wife, Mary Price.
Their son, James is the line from which I descended. James was born in VA circa 1778, moved to SC as a child and later migrated with his family to NC territory. By 1785 he settled in Greene Co (later Sevier and Jefferson Counties, TN).James had three wives, the first who must have died around 1807, leaving him with 3 children.James married Polly Renno/Reneau Oct. 14, 1807 in Jefferson Co, TN. After Polly's death, James married a Tabitha. These children were named Richard, b. 1803, Polly P. Wood, b. 1805 (married a Robert Gaut, 1822) and Wm. T. Wood, b. 1807 and married to Jane George July 2, 1831. Wm. T. Wood and Jane George are my gggrandparents. Their son, Silas M. Wood also had a son named Henry Davis Wood, b. 1857 who is my grandfather on my maternal side. The Wood and George familes were prominent in eastern TN as Rev. Wood was a Baptist minister in the Providence Baptist church which he founded. The Wood family and George families lived near each other and owned property on an island in the French Broad River. The George family were Quakers, having descended from Edward George Sr., who was born in PA in Berks Co., where Edward married a Martha Woolaston. Their son, Silas George was the father of Jane George, my gggrandmother. Both Jane and Wm. T. left east TN and lived in Bradley Co., Cleveland, TN in the 1850s on. I have other data on both family and it sounds plausible to me that our families may be related. I am happy to share information with you. I know that the Wood family descendants lived in other states such as Indiana, Illinois, and perhaps Arkansas. What is your lineage? If you wish, I can invite you to view my family site on Ancestry.com. Let me know so I can invite you. I need your name and email address, please. I can be contacted here or at zenogo1@yahoo.com. Zenna Smith

Posted: 9 Jun 2015 3:29AM GMT
I would like to see your family tree. I am a descendant of Rev Henry Wood of Greer South Carolina. He was born in Warren County North Carolina, but the family before him lived in Mecklinburg County Virginia. Just wondering if you have had a DNA TEST through Family Tree DNA TESTING? If you have, what group are you in?

Posted: 29 Jun 2015 9:24PM GMT
Janet,
My family tree is titled: SMITH-PEARSON, WOOD-KELLEY, ARNOLD, ODOM, MERRITT, PETERS, MATTINGLY, LEWIS, ETC. and I would be happy for you to view it on Ancestry. By no means have I completed it as for health reasons the last several years, I have not been able to do the research I desired to do. I have data on the Wood family that goes back to a Rev. Richard Wood and his wife Mary Price who lived in Mecklenberg, VA and am descended via his son, James whose own son, Wm T. Wood was my gggrandfather through his son, Silas Mitchell Wood, and my own grandfather, Henry Davis Wood to my mother, Lillie May Wood. I did research at the courthouse in Dandridge, TN years ago and even met with a Wood descendant in Birmingham, AL, a Sara Ruiz de Molina, whose mother had researched the Logan and Wood connection. In addition, I received data on my Henry Davis Wood via a Patsy McClellan, in San Antonio, TX who let me know about siblings that Henry had that I was unaware of. I can invite you to view my site if you send me your email address. I am sorry that I don't have all the information on there but I am 79 yrs. old and recently had a lumpectomy and radiation treatments so while I am doing fine now, I have had other obligations as people do. I would like to know more about your own descendant too. I did have both a paternal DNA test and a maternal DNA test done several years ago, but I am not in one of their circles as all of that has been created since I had the tests done. My maternal DNA Haplogroup is T; my brother, Jay Smith, did the paternal DNA test and that Haplogroup was labeled J2a1b. These category groupings may have different codes now. I am far behind on my research, but I have not added other trees until I was pretty sure I was actually related to that person. My Wm. T. married a Jane George and they moved from East TN over to Bradley Co., Cleveland, TN. Later on, other descendants moved to Georgetown, TX, a Russel Wood and two sisters. My mailing address is Zenna Smith, PO Box 1063, FAll City, WA 98024 and my email is zenogo1@gmail.com. I will help you however I can. Sorry about not having all my data online. I have about 8 file boxes of hard copy material which covers both sides of my family. Good luck with your research. Chances are we are distantly related. Our ancestors did not stay in one place as I had thought they might have done. I believe that the ancestor of Rev. Richard Wood may have come from PA or another nearby state. Both of my parents are deceased and so are many of my aunts and uncles in the Wood line; however, some of us are still around and trying to record what data we can. My maternal grandmother, Sarah Elizabeth first married a Wm Edwin Webb there in TN, and they lived for a time in Chestnut Hill, TN prior to moving to TX where Wm died and left my grandmother with 6 children. She was a strong, intelligent woman and met Henry Davis Wood and married him in 1894 there in Cameron, TX. They had 6 of their own children. My mom was Lillie May Wood Smith, I thought the prettiest of her sisters and the most positive, and pleasant person. I just wish I had gone looking for relatives years ago while some of them were still alive. The Webb family were half siblings to my mom and they have a history that goes back to Henry VIII. Also have a family bible that dates to 1690 with a Scottish title page indicating the date. I recently made contact with a descendant of that family, too, who has shared his data with me. I just need to be cloned so I can do all that needs to be done on the families. Good luck and let me hear from you. Zenna Smith at zenogo1@gmail.com,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic