Search for content in message boards

Registration District Error on large scale

Registration District Error on large scale

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 8:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Dear Ancestry Website boffins

This is really annoying me.

In Kent, England there is and has been, for a very long time, a registration district which is called and spelt
HOLLINGBOURNE [in olden times HOLLINGBOURN.]

Yet throughout Ancestry someone has changed it to
HILLINGBOURN

Everything I seem to look at on this website now reads Hillingbourn.
It never has been Hillingbourn

Please Please on my bended knees can someone take the trouble to correct All mentions of Hillingbourn back to Hollingbourn or Hollingbourne in all the Birth, Death and Marriage Indexes.

A quick check on Google would have given the correct spelling. There is no Hillingbourn RD in the UK.

Even a check on the advanced worldwide search of Ancestry.com
shows just 2 instances of Hillingbourn in ALL the census of all the counrties in the world.

and yet a whopping 63,699 births, deaths and marriages.

Doesn't that ring alarm bells with anyone?
I look forward to a speedy resolution to this matter.

Re: Registration District Error on large scale

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 9:43PM GMT
Don't hold your breath. These message boards are user-to-user and are not generally monitored by Ancestry. You'll have to contact them yourself.

I've been reporting wrong images in the 1861 Census for parts of Norfolk for at least 3 years. Every time I come across one I report it.

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 9:52PM GMT
Hopefully someone will hear your plea, but considering all the other issues on ancestry, I would be surprised if anything happens. I also found one (of many) errors in that a newspaper was listed as right city, but wrong state. I finally saw it was corrected about a year or so after I contacted them.

In my opinion, ancestry is too involved in buying up other sites, facebook apps, tv shows, etc., to be concerned with fixing what they currently have. With the 1940 US census being transcribed in China the errors are horrendous. They state the transcribers were well trained in letter recognition, although they do not appear to be trained in word recognition, as some of the simplest names are wrong.

This past year I have been so discouraged by the errors and the responses I have gotten when writing them (generally they respond they have sent the problem to their content team - never to be heard from again), that I will not be renewing. I've also made my tree private as I understand the trees are shared with the free Mundia site they own.

Again, I wish you well... you can try writing them at support@ancestry.com, but you will probably get the same response most of us get re it being forwarded to the content team.

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 10:23PM GMT
Over here, we spell it "buffoons".

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 2:03AM GMT
"Dear Ancestry Website boffins"

Or ... how to make friends and influence peeps.

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 2:08AM GMT
First entry on a Google search

boffins plural of bof·fin (Noun)
Noun:
1.A person engaged in scientific or technical research: "a computer boffin".
2.A person with knowledge or a skill considered to be complex, arcane, and difficult: "he had a reputation as a tax boffin, a learned lawyer".

More info »Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 2:33AM GMT
"buffoon" is still a better fit. Ancestry has no staff "engaged in scientific or technical research" and certainly no one "with knowledge or a skill considered to be complex".

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 4:29AM GMT
Barbda, glad to see you figured out how to do a Google search.

http://boards.ancestry.ca/topics.ancestry.ancsite/12224.1.1/...

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 7:21AM GMT
Thanks for the tip, have emailed them too.

I know it can be weeks or even months before I get a response, as I've noticed all of a sudden I get an email from them regarding hundreds of transcription corrections all being updated at once, and long after I have forgotten why I was looking at a particular record.

It's still worth attempting to let them know.

The clock is ticking, I shall be keeping a beedy eye on how long it takes to be rectfied.

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 7:29AM GMT
LOL.. a perfect illustration of the subtle difference a change in vowels can make!
;)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic