Search for content in message boards

family tree maker is updating this tree

family tree maker is updating this tree

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 7:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
I seem to be waiting for quite a while to read a particular Family Tree but I keep getting this reply when I click on it "family tree maker is updating this tree". My last query got this reply

Thank you for contacting Ancestry.com regarding getting a the error message that "Family Tree Maker is Updating This Tree" in regards to searching for the tree in Ancestry.

We regret any frustration this issue may have caused you. The problem that you are experiencing is a known issue currently. The problem is that the information in the trees on Ancestry.com has not been indexed in a while. This problem should resolve itself the next time the trees on Ancestry.com are indexed. With the amount of new information added and modified daily on our website, we re-index periodically to reflect the new information. The length in time it takes for us to start and finish a re-index is determined by the amount of new and modified information added to the website. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience with us while we are updating.

Is this just me or are othe people having the same problem? Does anyone know how often Ancestry reindexes?

Re: family tree maker is updating this tree

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 8:04PM GMT
I don't think they've reindexed trees more than 3 times this year. Maybe only twice.

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 11:35PM GMT
The actual error message doesn't seem to go with the explanation - sounds like that's what you would see when FTM is doing a sync? Weird, in any event - and I agree, it's a rare thing for the on-line trees to be reindexed these days.

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 12:02AM GMT
Sounds like a canned response sent by Support without reading the incoming message.

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 1:25AM GMT
The thing that is really frustrating me is that I was searching for a particular cousin using DOB etc and found a group of trees with her included but only one with the correct husband. I know this is correct because I have confirmed it with various English cousins but every time I have gone to this particular tree I still get this message of "family tree maker is updating this tree" I want to send a message to the author of this particular tree but until I can read the actual tree I can't find out who is the author and send him/her a message. The author must be still interested in making contact if they have updated their tree this year :-)

I have made contact with other family members of this particular branch using Ancestry but not yet this time

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 6:13PM GMT
Have you checked to see whether any of the records you have for that person have been saved? Maybe one was saved to that same tree, and you can figure it out that way? Or does that tree turn up in your "possible connections" list for that person? You can see only the tree name when you do a search, and then you can check to see whether that tree name (which also will have the tree owner's name/link) shows up in your list of potential connections.

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 7:41PM GMT
Thanks for your suggestions

I had gone back to my cousin on one of my trees and traced through from

2 possible connections researching ...

One was a new tree that I hadn't come across before because my cousibn was only given one Christian name and I did find a few short items from that branch that I didn't know before but although the tree that I want tn see was also there but a pink line told me the usual message "family tree maker is updating this tree" etc

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 8:29PM GMT
Well, what I was thinking was that usually (don't know if this is true when the tree is currently being updated) you see, on the "possible connections" page, not only the name of the tree etc., but also (kind of in the center) the tree owner's name, which you can click on to go to their profile. I was thinking that if that's showing on that page, you might be able to skip over trying to get to the tree, and just contact to the owner to discuss your mutual interests. Maybe the tree got permanently hung up, and there is another out there (which of course would not have been indexed, since it's apparently been months since indexing was done, so you would have no way of finding it).

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 11:48PM GMT
Nope

When I go to "possible connections" I get two connections. In this case, the top one in pink has only the following comment ... Tree is synching with Family Tree Maker and is temporarily unavailable ... though the second one is how you described it and I had gone to it to look at it

I'm willing to try anything :-)

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 4:01AM GMT
I think I've got it! I was checking my cousin's husband - searching for him - and looked at him under Military Records and found that he had enlisted at 16! for WW{{ and then tracked back on other entries and found an author who had that entry in their tree, went back and found that she had three trees one of which gave me that message "family tree maker is updating this tree" BUT the other two gave me her contact so I have sent her a message. I think she will reply because her details gave
"Last signed in Last month
Profile updated Last month"

Thanks for your help
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions