Search for content in message boards

Clues for my missing grandfather 1940's

Clues for my missing grandfather 1940's

Posted: 18 Jan 2012 3:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello All

Per the 1942 Old Man's Draft, my grandfather was living in NYC, but employed by B Protas at Loch Sheldrake. Have learned that B was Barnet Protas, who owned hotels in Catskills & NJ, with a partner named Nachatowitz His hotel in Sullivan County was either the Brookside Hotel, or its predecessor. His draft card is in the NYC index, but was filed in Sullivan County, so assume he lived there. Seems that Mr Protas had some employees from some sketchy backgrounds- a newspaper articles of a couple abandoning their families to be together and working for him, seems he did not ask many questions of his employees. This would fit in with my grandfather's life pretty well- abandoned wife & children, hid from them and his own family, etc etc

Anyone able to give me some direction from here? Have checked fultonhistory without luck. Does anyone know about B Protas? What happened to the property, or is it the same Brookside that became the family resort in the '50's

My grandfather's name was Daniel "Don" Bowen and he would have been in his 50's in the 1940's.

Any help appreciated

Re: Clues for my missing grandfather 1940's

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 6:09PM GMT
Surnames: protas
Hi,
I believe I can provide a little info for you. B. Protas was actually Benjamin, my paternal grandfather Julius' eldest brother. I never met him, but he did indeed own the Brookside Hotel back in the day. I actually discovered your question while looking for more info on the Brookside Hotel. I am not sure if it's the same one that currently exists.
I hope this helps at least a little.
Best,
Jon Protas

Posted: 16 Jul 2014 9:13PM GMT
I just happened to see this while I was doing research on The Brookside Hotel, too. My grandfather was the baker there for several years in the 40s, and I, as a child, would spend summers there. I remember two dogs that belonged to the Protas', Killer and Brooksie ... any of this ring a bell for you?
Adrienne

Posted: 3 Aug 2014 4:41PM GMT
Surnames: Protas, potter, Schecter
Barnet Protas was my grandfather who owned the Brookside Hotel in Loch Sheldrake. I am 64 and spent every summer at the Briokside from 1950-1963 when we closed the hotel and sold it. We also owned another hotel (winter property) in Lakewood NJ. It was called the new Lakewood Hotel.
The Brookside was left by the new owners to fall into disrepair. The property and all of the buildings were destroyed by the fire Marshall and sold at auction to Mel Hazilness who built several homes on the property one of which is occupied by his son.
Brookside was our dog (Protas' dog). She was a large collie mix and she lived to 14 or 15. Killer (a black cocker spaniel) was the Potter's dog owned by Norma (Protas) Potter (my aunt) who married J. Leslie Potter from Syracuse. Their children were Stanley (now deceased) and Ellen Morrow who lives in LA. We all spent every summer from June through August until the hotel was sold. BARNET was married to my grandmother Belle but I do not remember her maiden name. BARNET and Belle had 4 children: Norma, Arthur ( my father), LEONA Protas Schecter, and Evelyn Protas Schreiber. Only Leona is still alive and living in the DC area. My brother Kenneth is 61 and spent all summers at the Brookside as well. I can give you much more information if you like. BARNET, Julius and Louis were brothers and I remember all of them from childhood. Louis never married and was a commercial artist in Manhattan. There was also a half brother that moved to California probably in the 1920's but he was estranged from the other three ie. my grandfather and both great uncles. If you would like more information please email me at eprotas@gmail.com. I would like to know what happened to the California half brother and any family he had. My wife, Dr. Elizabeth Patterson Protas is the Dean of the School of Health Professions at UTMB in Galveston,TX. From time to time she is contacted by Protas around the globe looking for family ties. I believe Protas is not an u uncommon name in Russia and surrounding countries. All of my grandparents immigrated from Russia but we believe the family tree was at one time traced back to Lithuania. It would be very nice to talk to you as we'll. the only baker I remember was Hy Heller and I think he was the baker who got in a fight with a cook named Booker. By was with us for several years and I think he had a son who would be close to 70 years old by now but I could be mistaken about this. There are 2 Protas men who bear my grandfather's name: my brother Barnett who lives in CA. And my first cousin BARNET Schecter who lives in Manhattan. He is a historian who wrote several books including "George Washington and the Battle of New York as well as 'The Devil's own work' about the civil war draft riots. I have all of the paperwork for the graves in New Jersey and will be buried in the same plot as my Protas grandparents. We own several graves willed to my father by Louis as my father was his executor. By the way my Grandfather's given name was BARNET but everyone called him Ben. I hope this clears up that puzzle.

Posted: 3 Aug 2014 4:49PM GMT
Surnames: Protas
Please see my post. I am Barnet's grandson and have history on the hotel and family. My email address is eprotas@gmail.com

Posted: 3 Aug 2014 4:51PM GMT
Surnames: Protas
Please see my post. I have much more family information as I am BARNET Protas grandson. My email address is eprotas@gmail.com
Regards,
Gene Protas
per page

Find a board about a specific topic