Search for content in message boards

Clues for my missing grandfather 1940's

Clues for my missing grandfather 1940's

Posted: 18 Jan 2012 3:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello All

Per the 1942 Old Man's Draft, my grandfather was living in NYC, but employed by B Protas at Loch Sheldrake. Have learned that B was Barnet Protas, who owned hotels in Catskills & NJ, with a partner named Nachatowitz His hotel in Sullivan County was either the Brookside Hotel, or its predecessor. His draft card is in the NYC index, but was filed in Sullivan County, so assume he lived there. Seems that Mr Protas had some employees from some sketchy backgrounds- a newspaper articles of a couple abandoning their families to be together and working for him, seems he did not ask many questions of his employees. This would fit in with my grandfather's life pretty well- abandoned wife & children, hid from them and his own family, etc etc

Anyone able to give me some direction from here? Have checked fultonhistory without luck. Does anyone know about B Protas? What happened to the property, or is it the same Brookside that became the family resort in the '50's

My grandfather's name was Daniel "Don" Bowen and he would have been in his 50's in the 1940's.

Any help appreciated

Re: Clues for my missing grandfather 1940's

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 6:09PM GMT
Surnames: protas
Hi,
I believe I can provide a little info for you. B. Protas was actually Benjamin, my paternal grandfather Julius' eldest brother. I never met him, but he did indeed own the Brookside Hotel back in the day. I actually discovered your question while looking for more info on the Brookside Hotel. I am not sure if it's the same one that currently exists.
I hope this helps at least a little.
Best,
Jon Protas

Re: Clues for my missing grandfather 1940's

Posted: 16 Jul 2014 9:13PM GMT
I just happened to see this while I was doing research on The Brookside Hotel, too. My grandfather was the baker there for several years in the 40s, and I, as a child, would spend summers there. I remember two dogs that belonged to the Protas', Killer and Brooksie ... any of this ring a bell for you?
Adrienne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions