Search for content in message boards

2 Obit lookups in the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle

2 Obit lookups in the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle

Posted: 15 Mar 2012 10:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Oddo Tedesco
I've posted this on the NY lookups board a few times with no luck, so I thought I'd shoot for the specific county. :)

Unfortunately, neither of the following dates I need are available on fulton history. I am broke with all the $ I've already sent the Monroe County library for obits over the the past 2 years! :D They charge $15 a pop! I wish I could go myself, but I am in Maryland...Many thanks to anyone willing to help!

1. November 7th-10th, 1944 - Grace (Grazia) Oddo

My great great grandmother. Maiden name Tedesco. Burial was November 10, 1944 at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Rochester, NY. She was in her 80s. Gravestone has a birth year of 1857, though I've seen it listed as late as 1865.

Her death was reported on November 9th to, and printed on November 10th by, the Rochester Daily Record, which does not publish detailed obituaries.

Husband's name was Ferdinando Oddo. She had at least one surviving daughter, Angelina Oddo Frisa.

2. December 23, 1929 - Giacomo Oddo

My great grandfather. Date of birth was November 19, 1886. He died at home (52 Crombie St.) on December 22, 1929. He was buried at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Rochester, NY on December 26, 1929.

Surviving were his wife Frances, and sons Fred, James (possibly Vincent), and Rudolph (Gondolfo).

Oddly enough, Fulton History has the Dec. 24th - 26th editions, but not the 23rd. I have searched the 24th-26th to no avail, so I'm hoping he will show up on the 23rd. :)

Thanks so much in advance!

Re: 2 Obit lookups in the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle

Posted: 27 Mar 2012 12:43PM GMT
Ellis Island has a Ferdinando Oddo coming to USA in 1901 going to cousin G. Naglia in NYC-he gave his age as 34---US Census 1920, Rochester, NY shows Joseph Frisa,35, his wife Angelina, 31 (both came from Italy in 1919) -their children living there were: Sam, 7; Josephine,6; and Grazia age 5 - also living at that home was Grazia Tedesco, Mother, who reported she was a widow & that she came to USA in 1906 -hope this may help in your search -GJ Messmer

Posted: 27 Mar 2012 1:04PM GMT
CORRECTION -- a closer look at the 1920 Census form looks like they received their citizenships in 1919 & that Joseph came to USA in 1902 & Angelina came in 1906-- Mother Grazia reported she came in 1906 so it stands to reason she brought Angelina with her that same year, SOO... Angelina's reporting she came here in 1906 makes sense, GJ Messmer

Posted: 28 Mar 2012 5:40PM GMT
Thanks so much, GJ! I appreciate the time you took to look further into it for me! Very helpful, indeed! :)

Posted: 28 Mar 2012 5:42PM GMT
In case anyone decides to help with the two lookups in the first part of this thread...

I broke down and ordered the 1st one (Grace Oddo) from 1944.

Still hoping someone can help with the 2nd one for Giacomo Oddo in 1929. :)

Posted: 28 Mar 2012 7:52PM GMT
"Find a Grave"
website says Giacomo Oddo is buried at Holy Sep. Cem Rochester - born Nov 19, 1886 Sicilia, Italy - died Rochester, NY 22 Dec 1929- that web site reports his mother as Grazia Tedesco Oddo (1857-1944); his spouse was Frances Guggino Oddo (1892-1970); they had relatives (children ?) Frederick Oddo(1911-1936); James Russell Oddo(1913-1983) & Rudolph Oddo(1916-1975) --also Ellis Island shows Francesca Gugggino, age 2 months; Cologero(male)13; Rosalia 8;& Gioachaisco(spelling hard to read from Ship Manifest)11 yr old boy all travelling with Marianna Graziano age 44, all from Sciara, Italy on the SS Letimbro out of Palermo, Italy arriving in USA 27 July 1892-Resp, GJ Messmer

Posted: 28 Mar 2012 8:07PM GMT
Thanks GJ. I'm the one that put Giacomo's record and info. on find a grave. I got his birth and death info from his death certificate. haha! :) I just want to have his obit to have it and to confirm what I already know (mainly about his 3 surviving sons). I'm also hoping it might mention any siblings...

I do have the ship manifest for Francesca and I'm pretty sure it's her. I wish I could somehow confirm her siblings!

Thank you SO MUCH again for your time, GJ. It's people like you that are quite an asset to others in their search!

Posted: 30 Mar 2012 4:41AM GMT
My uncle's sister was married to James Oddo (1913 - 1983). They had a family business called Oddo's Dairy located at 52 Crombie St, Rochester, NY. Jimmy used to deliver dairy products to my father's grocery store in the 1950's. I don't know too much about this family but if you want to pursue this with one of his sons, let me know and I will contact him about your post.

Posted: 30 Mar 2012 6:08PM GMT
Spadaro83,

So you must have Lana and Toscano running through you!
I will send you a private message so we can connect the dots. :)

Thanks for your message!

Posted: 2 Apr 2012 1:29AM GMT
Just letting you know that I have not received the private message from you. FYI...I have Lana cousins; but I do not know the Toscanos.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic