Search for content in message boards

Anton Prochazka Bohemian from "Austria" emigrated 1907

Anton Prochazka Bohemian from "Austria" emigrated 1907

Posted: 16 Aug 2012 9:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Prochazka, Pospisil, Zahrathka
My paternal grandfather, Anton Prochazka (1885-1965), emigrated from Bohemia/Austria to Texas in 1907. In 1910 he joined his "Parents" John and Anna/Annie Prochazka in Cessford, Alberta, Canada but then came back to the US through St Albans VT in 1922. It would seem that his parents preceded him in emigration. On his social security application he listed John and Anna Pospisil Prochazka of Czechoslovakia as parents.

I cannot find anything about any of them in any European records. Family mythology alludes to the possibility of political implications.

He married Emma Zahratha "Gardner" in 1913 while in Canada.

Re: Anton Prochazka Bohemian from "Austria" emigrated 1907

Posted: 16 Aug 2012 11:00PM GMT
BarbaraStubbs19

Since your post is on Praha's Ancestry board thus that mean he was born in city of Praha/Prague?
Was your grandfather Anton PROCHAZKA naturalized citizen?
Did he put down his place of birth on his SS-5Form?
The church records are by a location and then religion.

Posted: 16 Aug 2012 11:22PM GMT

Posted: 17 Aug 2012 1:15PM GMT
Anton was naturalized with the rest of his family in the 1920s. Since my father and four of his siblings were born in Canada, they all had to be naturalized as well. My recollections constantly return to talk of Praha, and at one point that is where my grandfather stated he was from.

On his social security form filed September 2, 1941 he listed place of birth as Czechoslovakia on January 8, 1885. No city was named.

Although censuses after his return to the US all stated that the family was Roman Catholic, he always listed himself as Lutheran. My father never mentioned anything but Catholic, so I am surmising that Anton did not practice a religion.

My father, now deceased, did say that he only spoke Bohemian until he went to school in Minnesota. He also stated repeatedly that Anton "was no farmer." In 1941 Anton listed himself as unemployed and none for his last occupation; however all censuses in Canada and the US listed him as a farmer.

John and Anna Pospisil Prochazka had a farm in Canada, and that was where he went after emigration; however, he did spend three years in Minnestota (no records avail) because he left when my grandmother was 15, but she joined him as soon as she turned 18 in 1913. They started a family immediately. My father born in 1917 was the fourth child.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Posted: 17 Aug 2012 1:36PM GMT
You're welcome.
So the SS-5Form no help with a location.
Do you have their Canadian naturalization? Any luck locating the arrival manifest to Canada? What about the church your father and four of his siblings were baptised in? I would think that the church baptismal record would provide you with a parents place of birth.

http://www.kdejsme.cz/prijmeni/Posp%C3%AD%C5%A1il/hustota/
look in the left column at the names as how popular/common they are. http://www.kdejsme.cz/ click on the name.

I'm sure the Praha of old had more than one church just like now. The church records are indexed by a location and then religion.
http://actapublica.eu/

Posted: 17 Aug 2012 3:33PM GMT
I do have some information from Canada. I need to go to work now, but I will dig it out this afternoon. I do not recall any references to Canadian naturalization for Anton, but I did not check for John or Anna who were already established in 1910. I also have copies of their farm plats...maybe land records might yield some info. Good suggestions.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic