Search for content in message boards

Abel Peck and Deborah Curtiss, Romanta Peck and the WI connection

Abel Peck and Deborah Curtiss, Romanta Peck and the WI connection

Posted: 3 May 2002 8:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jan 2006 12:06AM GMT
Surnames: Peck, Curtiss, Allen, Durgin
I am doing family research, and got stuck at at Abel Peck, Deborah Curtiss, and their son Romanta Peck.

From digging into various Internet sources, I am 99% sure that Abel is my 5th great grandfather, and a descendant of Deacon Paul Peck. He was born May 5, 1743, and died in 1822. He married Deborah Curtiss (Curtis) July 22,1762 according to Southington, CT church records. Their son Romanta is my 4th great grandfather, which I pieced together from the following biographical sketch of Romanta's son Hazen (my 3rd great grandfather) in Muskego, Wisconsin:

"HAZEN PECK: farmer: Sec. 10; P. 0 Big Bend; born April 21: 1817: in Starksboro: Vt.: in 1823: his parents: Romanta and Sarah Peck: settled in Washington Co.: N. Y.: where he resided until he was seventeen: thence to Genesee Co.: N. Y.: where he remained until October: 1848: when he came to Muskego; a month later he bought his present farm of seventy-six acres; forty were broken; the barn built: a good log house: and part of the house he has since enlarged and made so good a home; he has also cleared twenty acres of the original heavy timber; improved the land: re-sided the barn, etc. Married Eliza Allen: who was born March 26: 1820: in Mendon: Monroe Co.: N. Y. Their oldest son: Allen: born in Mendon: came West with them: enlisted in Co. G. 28th W. V. I.: served a year and died at Duvall’s Bluff: Ark. The four living sons are all Badger born: Harvey: born June 27: 1850: Hiram: May 9: 1854: Edgar: June: 12: 1856: George: April 9: 1861. Mr. Peck: like all true Green Mountain Boys: is an old Whig Republican; was a supervisor one year and lacked only one vote of a re-election at the advent of the Democratic power in Muskego: and has since refused all nominations."

http://www.linkstothepast.com/waukesha/biosmuskego.html#peck...

Another sketch on the same page was about Hazen's brother or half-brother Henry. Henry's mother is Polly (Durgin) Peck and mentions 2 other brothers- W.D. (presumably William Durgin) and Rufus C. A sketch about Hiram Claflin says that he married "Miss Sallie", also born in Starksboro and a daughter of Romanta and Polly Peck.

Are Polly Durgin and Sarah the same person? Anybody got other information about Sarah or Polly, Eliza Allen, Hazen Peck, Romanta Peck, Abel Peck, or Deborah Curtiss?

Any help or clue would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rebecca M.

PS --The George Peck mentioned here is not the Gov. George Peck.

Re: Abel Peck and Deborah Curtiss, Romanta Peck and the WI connection

Kathleen Peck Probasco (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 2002 4:01PM GMT
Hi, Rebecca. I believe I can help a bit with your PECK line. While searching my PECK database, I found that you have skipped a generation in your line.

Abel PECK (1743-1822) m. Deborah CURTIS ( -1824) and had children: William K. "Billy" PECK (1772-1811), Major B. PECK (1774- ), Rhoda B. PECK (1776-1819), Sally B. PECK (1779- ), Sylvester PECK (1784-1858), and five other children who died young.

William K. "Billy" PECK m. Rutheda [surname unknown at this point] and had children: Urania PECK (abt. 1790-1815), Wait PECK (1791-1794), Romanta PECK (1792-1857), William Kellogg PECK (1797- ), and Charles PECK (abt. 1801-1820).

Romanta PECK m. Polly DURGIN and had children: Rufus C. PECK (1814-1866), Winthrop Durgin PECK (1815-1874), Hazen PECK (1817-1892), Sarah "Sally" PECK (1819-1879), and Henry Martin PECK (1827-1906). I don't show a wife "Sarah" for Romanta.

Hope this helps. Please visit my webpage at:
http://communities.msn.com/PeckPioneers

Happy digging! --Kathy

Kathleen Peck Probasco
204 South Howard
Moscow ID 83843-3325

Posted: 4 May 2002 3:39AM GMT
Edited: 27 Jan 2006 12:06AM GMT
THANK YOU!

I knew I was missing something.

Just so that I can add them to my Family Treemaker, what do you have for sources for that?

Please email me.

Thanks again!

Rebecca M.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 10:59AM GMT
Good morning. My cousin and I are researching family history and have gotten back to Abel, Deborah and William K. We are unable to find official documents for this family unit. Could you please tell me where you found documentation for them? We just need this last bit of info to prove patriot connection for DAR.

Thank you so much.

Sandra G. Sharples
per page

Find a board about a specific topic