Search for content in message boards

Burial in Quebec after a death during immigration from Norway

Burial in Quebec after a death during immigration from Norway

Posted: 8 Aug 2010 5:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Christianson
Hi,
I'm making a bit a last ditch attempt at trying to find where my gr gr gr grandmother is buried. She was emigrating from Norway to the US in August of 1893 but she got very ill and died during the voyage. According to our family information rather than the normal burial at sea she was actually buried upon their arrival in Quebec (the remaining family traveled over land to Wisconsin after this). I would imagine that she would have been buried close to the port but I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the area that may allow me to narrow things down a bit. The woman concerned was named Else Anne Natanialsdatter but she was probably using the name Christianson. She was born in the far north of Norway in 1831.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Dave

Re: Burial in Quebec after a death during immigration from Norway

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 3:31PM GMT
Surnames: Kristeansan, Christianson
Great information. As it turns out, the burial is listed under the name spelled Else Kristeansan.

Holy Trinity Church, Lévis.
Else Kristeansan, a native of Norway, aged sixty-two years, died of pneumonia and general debility, on board the steamship "Parisian" when off Faine Point on the coast of Gaspé, August the twenty-fourth, anno Domini one thousand eight hundred and ninety-three, and was buried at Lévis on the twenty fifth of the same month by me.
Thomas W. Fyles, Emigration Chaplain, SPC-K

(I'm not sure of the spelling of "Faine Point". And the chaplain's name looks like Tyles or Fyles.)

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 4:10PM GMT
Surnames: Christianson, Kristeansan
Here is the direct link to the record.
http://search.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbid...
If you don't have access, please feel free to send me a message through Ancestry's message service with your email address, and I'll be glad to send you a copy of what I found

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 9:35PM GMT
FANTASTIC!! Thank you so much for finding that. I had done a bit of a search on Ancestry but I missed that one. I got the copy of the original so thanks for the link. You solved an old mystery for me!

Thanks again,
Dave

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 10:01PM GMT
One more followup question. I tried to find that church but I don't think I found the right one. Does it still exist or is the main Holy Trinity cathedral listed for Quebec?

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 10:21PM GMT
The first page of the 1893 parish register lists the church as "Holy Trinity Church at Levis (Church of England)."
Apparently it is no longer a church. I found an answer in the following article:

The Case of the Missing Grave: Glossop McQuire of Levis, Quebec
http://www.genealogyhelpdesk.com/blog/?p=127

MR

Posted: 11 Aug 2010 11:08PM GMT
You're a marvel. Thanks again for all your help.

Dave
per page

Find a board about a specific topic