Search for content in message boards

Topic/Krivan family

Topic/Krivan family

Posted: 29 Aug 2013 1:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Topic, Krivan
Any information regarding Joseph Topic or his wife Elizabeth Theresa Krivan.

Joseph born about 1849, Bonemis, Austria. He immigrated to New Zealand 1874. Died 1932.

Elizabeth born 1866.

Joseph and Elizabeth are my Great grandparents.

Re: Topic/Krivan family

Posted: 2 Sep 2013 9:28PM GMT
Austria of 1847 was entirely different than modern day Austria. The territory of Austria-Hungary included all or part of the modern countries of Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, Slovakia, Serbia, Slovenia, Italy, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro and Roumania. That old Empire had many official languages.

Do know the language they spoke?

What was their religion?

These 2 questions may help answer your question... there is no place called Bonemis, now nor then.

Could it have been Bohemia? This is now the Czech Republic.

However checking US immigration records I find numerous TOPIC (which is found in Croatia name) coming from a place called Brocanac

You need to know the exact place they originated in order to begin a search.....

Robert Jerin
Croatian Heritage Museum
Cleveland Ohio

Posted: 3 Sep 2013 6:55PM GMT
Joseph appears on an emigration list maintained by the Hamburg officials for ships that left from Hamburg. He sailed on the ship Humboldt which left Hamburg on 10 October 1874. It indicates that his previous residence was Bohdance(?) in Boehmen which was German for Bohemia (now likely part of the Czech Republic). There is a current location in the Czech Republic called Cerna u Bohdance in East Bohemia, east of Prague.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=%22cerna+u+bohdance%...

Posted: 4 Sep 2013 5:20PM GMT
Not Bohdance, Bohdaneč. It´s either a village in Kutná Hora district (parish books http://actapublica.eu/matriky/praha/?akce=hledat&ac_me=B...=) or town Lázně Bohdaneč - parish books haven´t been digitized yet.

Posted: 21 Nov 2013 5:52AM GMT
thank you all for your replies and help.
Joseph Topic
I am only going of Naturalisation document for Country of Birth which is List as Bonemis, Austria. I do believe it may be Bohemia. I do not know what language he spoke but he was a Roman Catholic.

Krivan
I have no information regarding this line of my family only know they lived in Palmerston North in New Zealand late 1880's. Cannot find any immigration records.

Thanks again for your help.
Guess that side will remain unknown

Regards
Julie

Posted: 21 Nov 2013 2:27PM GMT
Hi,
The following info came from ancestry.com:

Name: Josef Senior Krivan
Birth Date: abt 1839
Birth Place: Tavo, Bohemia
Former Nationality: Austrian
Residence City: Palmerston North
Naturalisation Date: 25 Aug 1887
File Number: 1908/1681(1887/3216
Certificate Register: 24
Register Page Number: 111

Source Citation: Register of Persons Naturalised in New Zealand to 1948.
Source Information:
Ancestry.com. New Zealand, Naturalisations, 1843-1981 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.
Original data:
Persons Naturalised or Granted Citizenship in New Zealand, 1843-1981. Microfiche 1-34, 34 rolls. BAB Microfilming, Auckland, New Zealand.
Description:
This is an index of persons who were naturalized or given citizenship in New Zealand between 1843 to 1981. The records may include name of individual, age or birth date, birthplace, place of residence, former nationality, naturalization date, file number, certificate register, and register page number. Images of the records won’t be displayed due to privacy restrictions.

Name: Joseph The Younger Krivan
Birth Date: abt 1864
Birth Place: Province of Bohemia
Former Nationality: Austrian
Residence City: Palmerston North
Naturalisation Date: 13 Aug 1887
File Number: 1887/3215
Certificate Register: 24
Register Page Number: 55

Source Citation: Register of Persons Naturalised in New Zealand to 1948.
Source Information:
Ancestry.com. New Zealand, Naturalisations, 1843-1981 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.
Original data:
Persons Naturalised or Granted Citizenship in New Zealand, 1843-1981. Microfiche 1-34, 34 rolls. BAB Microfilming, Auckland, New Zealand.
Description:
This is an index of persons who were naturalized or given citizenship in New Zealand between 1843 to 1981. The records may include name of individual, age or birth date, birthplace, place of residence, former nationality, naturalization date, file number, certificate register, and register page number. Images of the records won’t be displayed due to privacy restrictions.

Posted: 21 Nov 2013 6:36PM GMT

Posted: 22 Nov 2013 1:54AM GMT
thank you, have just renewed my sub, so can access these now. Hopefully this can help me.

Posted: 22 Nov 2013 1:58AM GMT
thank you for the links.

Thank you everyone for your links, suggestions and explanations. Hopefully all this information can help me.

the search continues....

Posted: 22 Nov 2013 3:15AM GMT
You're welcome Julie.

No location Tavo in Czech Republic.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_deutscher_Bezeichnungen_t...
Possible for you to attach a scan of the document to take a look at the handwriting?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions