Search for content in message boards

McDowell/McDole

McDowell/McDole

Posted: 13 Feb 2002 3:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for info on a Matthew McDowell born c1755 Ireland
married Elizabeth (Betty) Adams of Ireland.
Thank You
Shirley

Re: McDowell/McDole

Carolyn Sichting (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2002 8:20PM GMT
Surnames: McDowell, McGriff, Atkinson,Rohrabaugh
Hi: I am searching for a THOMAS MCDOWELL, who lived in Rockbridge/Augusta Co, Va., during 1770s. He had six children JOHN, JAMES, POLLY, AGNES, ABBY, and JANE. I do not know his age or his wife's name. I was told at one time that he might be descended from a MATTHEW MCDOWELL. Does any of this sound familiar? I have not connected him with my gggrandfather JAMES MCDOWELL, b 3/1786 in New Bern, N. C., as yet, but am searching diligently for him. My gggrandfather JAMES left N. C. at the age of 10 as an orphan with an uncle. THOMAS may be his uncle or could be his father. If you have any info which might connect this, please share with me. Thank you for any help you may give.

Posted: 2 Mar 2004 6:00AM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2004 2:27AM GMT
Not sure if I'm going to be helpful, but I have on paper that 4 McDowell brothers came to America from Scotland before the Rev. War. They were in Shenadoah Valley, then after the war William and a brother(unnamed) went to Philadelphia and James and the other brother went to Ill. Theparty who gave me info several years ago thought that the Ohio McDowells' were from William and brother. My thought is that the name Thomas fits with William and James. My ancester is James who married Elizabeth Ferguson Hawk( she being a widow of Richard Hawk). It has been assumed that Scotland was their homeland but I notice that many other McDowells' came from Ireland. Some of those brothers could have been very young when they came over, Probably not who you're looking for though. I have names of other McDowells' . Christine

tracy (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2004 12:44AM GMT
Surnames: McDowell
I have a James McDowell married to Charlotte McIntire that came to Ohio in my line. He is my 4th great grandfather. Have not been able to find any proof on who is father is. Wondering if you have any info. of any help. Thanks
Tracy

Posted: 29 Oct 2004 3:36AM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2004 2:27AM GMT
Tracy, I don't think your James McDowell matches one in my line. Charlotte doesn't ring a bell nor does Ohio. Wish I could help.
Christine
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions